HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Want to know how I know? I'm finally to the point where I just don't give a rats behind about relights. Cool 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Briarbabe wrote:
Want to know how I know? I'm finally to the point where I just don't give a rats behind about relights. Cool 
Your'e on your way for sure ! Good on ya !! Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:38 pm

That's one of the stupidest 'measures' in the hobby. The only thing it's useful for is Slow Smoke Competition.
Oh and if you are out of matches. Lol.

I'm with you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Put me in the same category. I am buying some stock in Colibri Butane!!! lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitepony1986

Registration date : 2013-07-28

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:56 am

you know i was told this wild urban legend by a old man at a pipe store that stated "your first bowl through a pipe you have to keep lit, don't let it go out till it hits the bottom or it will get to that point in the bowl and it will go out everytime" i have found this to be nonesense i was really upset tho when my pipe went out shortly after i tried too smoke my very first bowl. relights are just part of the joy of pipe smoking is what i discovered
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:06 am

whitepony1986 wrote:
you know i was told this wild urban legend by a old man at a pipe store that stated "your first bowl through a pipe you have to keep lit, don't let it go out till it hits the bottom or it will get to that point in the bowl and it will go out everytime" i have found this to be nonesense i was really upset tho when my pipe went out shortly after i tried too smoke my very first bowl. relights are just part of the joy of pipe smoking is what i discovered
Laughing I heard the same thing, years ago. It's a wonder anyone sticks with pipe smoking, what with all the "wisdom" floating around. Someone should compile a list of pipe B.S.

Oh, wait! That's what this forum is for! Never mind. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northern Neil

Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:03 am

Good on ya. Eventually you have to stop worrying and just enjoy it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitepony1986

Registration date : 2013-07-28

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:28 pm

yes the rumors from the pipe *pros" are amazing aren't they
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Laughing

I'll never forget being in my local B&M smoking a pipe when this gasbag of a man came in commenting on all of us kids smoking pipes.   Unsolicited (and wrong) advice abounded.  Noticing many of us calmly and occasionally picking up a lighter or matches for our smokes, he chimed in with: "Keep it lit, that's the way it's done, practice until you get it right."

He then pulls out a couple of Kaywoodie pipes that had blackened holes with a pea-sized opening right at the bottom of each pipe, and turns to ask the worker there if there's a way to fix them.  Laughing

Of course, I mention quietly to my young comrades "...don't try to neurotically keep the pipe lit, maybe?"   5)

I'll see if one of the workers can take a picture of the pipe and send it to me...I convinced them to keep one of the very dead pipes as a memento for the shop.

Experts are not made simply by time, they're made by learning from observation and failure (even if it isn't their own).  

Enjoy your relighted smokes, Babe.   cheers

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Progress. Next step is relight. Let the pipe cool down. Don't be too eager to fire it up pronto. Light tamping, if needed. Run a pipe cleaner through it. Then relight the completely cooled down pipe, and you should have a tasty treat just like at the start.

Possibly in the category of I know, I know -- when a pipe wants to go out, just let it do so. Avoid a struggle which gets to the stage where it's gurgling and hot, since, once there, it's better to dump it and start again rather then relight. You've probably discovered that there's no more false economy than trying to smoke wet tobacco.

You're doing really well, I'd say.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Guess I believe I finally "got it" after my 8 yr hiatus from the pipe.

Before that, I got tongue bite so regularly that I couldn't understand why I was doing this. And we're talking major tongue bite that would last into the next day! Mad  Retreated into the cigar thing........

After coming back to the pipe when cigars no longer appealed (long story for later), and finding BoB I finally got it through my thick skull that I was smoking too fast and too wet.

Once that simple truth was realized and reading the sage advice here, the rest came easy. Haven't had tongue bite in many years, and I never sweat re-lights.

FWIW!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Welcome to the club of savy vets!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HCraven

Registration date : 2012-12-09

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Hey, if it wasn't for relights, why would anyone buy a $100 Old Boy?

I love mine, and use it often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:31 pm

KevinM wrote:
Progress.  Next step is relight. Let the pipe cool down. Don't be too eager to fire it up pronto. Light tamping, if needed. Run a pipe cleaner through it. Then relight the completely cooled down pipe, and you should have a tasty treat just like at the start.

This. And sometimes I do the whole routine if I've been smoking too quickly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveS

Location : Where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars.
Registration date : 2013-11-19

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Someone should compile a list of pipe B.S.

Whoa ... that's gonna be one whale of a long list ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:52 pm

SteveS wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Just ask George Kaplan, he's a MASTER BS'r  cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:10 pm

SteveS wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

We'll have to make it a committee job because if we entrust it to just one smoker he'll likely exempt the bs he prescribes to personally. Hilarious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:47 pm

monbla256 wrote:
SteveS wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Just ask George Kaplan, he's a MASTER BS'r   cheers 

Now now, Monbla. There's a fine distinction between outright BSing and convincing my 5-year-old nephew that I'm a veteran of the Great Toledo War of 1836.
Or having Kyle convinced that the next blend from Pease's nautical line would be a flake called "Cabin Boy".  Twisted Evil Razz 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:28 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
SteveS wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Just ask George Kaplan, he's a MASTER BS'r   cheers 

Now now, Monbla. There's a fine distinction between outright BSing and convincing my 5-year-old nephew that I'm a veteran of the Great Toledo War of 1836.
Or having Kyle convinced that the next blend from Pease's nautical line would be a flake called "Cabin Boy".  Twisted Evil Razz 

Oooooo George!! We could have sooooo much fun with "Cabin Boy" tobacco  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Harlock and I really had Kyle going with that one a while back.  lol! 
I miss those two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:46 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Harlock and I really had Kyle going with that one a while back.  lol! 
I miss those two.

Yep,
You guys always put a smile on my face reading some of these posts.
Harlock is pretty active on the Smokers Forum UK site where I still read his posts, as for Kyle, I don't remember why he bowed out but hopefully he'll be back here someday.

Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:51 pm

I'll have to look up Harlock to say hello. I searched for that old thread but saw he's deleted many of his great pics. I read Kyle's farewell posts and can understand his hiatus. Been through that myself. Hope they're both doing well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:43 pm

Sounds like enlightenment BB! (no pun intended). I'm sure I touched on this elsewhere...???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ravkesef

Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:00 pm

The epiphany for every "real" pipe smoker comes when he realizes that pipe smoking is a selfish act--that is, we do not smoke for the benefit of others, but solely our own. Hence, if I derive pleasure from my pipe and tobacco, that is all I seek--not the applause of the crowd or the opinion of "experts." This really is all about me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now   Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:10 pm

ravkesef wrote:
The epiphany for every "real" pipe smoker comes when he realizes that pipe smoking is a selfish act--that is, we do not smoke for the benefit of others, but solely our own.  Hence, if I derive pleasure from my pipe and tobacco, that is all I seek--not the applause of the crowd or the opinion of "experts."  This really is all about me.

Yep, I agree, and would imagine this plays no small part in the rather widespread scorn for pipe smokers. It looks indulgent, because it is. So does premium cigar smoking, but cigars don't have that aura of thoughtfulness, deliberation, and thinking that is commonly attributed to pipe smokers. Two sins: thinking and self-indulgence. The herd likes neither. Puritanism didn't die in America, it merely changed its form--and Puritanism is, per Mencken, "the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
Back to top Go down
View user profile

I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next