HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

falcon pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:18 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
So I got a Falcon, the curiosity killing me. Haven't smoked it yet. The draw is nice and open, until I attach the bowl. Then the draw is very restricted. Is there something wrong with mine, or is this the way they work? It's like sucking through a horsehair. I frankly don't see how the pipe can draw, since the bottom bowl opening seems to wedge down against that metal "island" that you put the ring around. Dare I ream the bowl hole?

Wait a sec! I just fixed it by removing the little filter ring and it draws great. What kind of a j.o. design is this? Nice job, Falcoonery, Inc. Guess I won't be buying any of your filter thingys.

And tell me something: Is it necessary to wear a bolo tie when smoking one of these? I always associate these pipes with guys wearing bolo ties stepping out of a bingo parlor.

Those rings are supposed to catch moisture, and they do, but they can restrict the airflow. I either forgo using them, or, for some of the more moist flakes and aromatics, I'll cut 3/4" or so off a pipe cleaner and make a horse shoe, with the open end towards the stem. Actually carry a few cut down in advance in my pouches. I get about six to seven out of a standard 6 inch pipe cleaner and I'm set..

No, it is not required to wear a bola tie, unless you're a purist. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:23 pm

I've been smoking mine for a week now, not even tried those silly filter things. Not necessary. Barely any condensation at all. If you need one of those in your Falcon you have a smoker problem, not a pipe problem.

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:03 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
So I got a Falcon, the curiosity killing me. Haven't smoked it yet. The draw is nice and open, until I attach the bowl. Then the draw is very restricted. Is there something wrong with mine, or is this the way they work? It's like sucking through a horsehair. I frankly don't see how the pipe can draw, since the bottom bowl opening seems to wedge down against that metal "island" that you put the ring around. Dare I ream the bowl hole?

Wait a sec! I just fixed it by removing the little filter ring and it draws great. What kind of a j.o. design is this? Nice job, Falcoonery, Inc. Guess I won't be buying any of your filter thingys.

And tell me something: Is it necessary to wear a bolo tie when smoking one of these? I always associate these pipes with guys wearing bolo ties stepping out of a bingo parlor.

Don't overtighten the bowl; that can also force the opening at the bottom of the bowl too far down over the dimple/'island', cutting down on the draw quite a bit, no matter if you are using the filter ring or not
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:23 pm

Does anyone have source for the o-ring that apparently seals the bowl to the stem? My one and only Falcon is missing this, and it leaks air.

The new Meer Falcon bowl I just got in has this and it seems to me that this is what makes the seal. And I can't find any site which offers these.

Otherwise I'll have to go to my local hardware store and see if I can get an o-ring that will do the job.

TIA

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:34 pm

I was wondering about that myself; try brother DGErwin11's site. Looks like these will work.

http://www.dgehandmadepipes.com/catalog/replacement-falconviking-bowls
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:38 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Does anyone have source for the o-ring that apparently seals the bowl to the stem? My one and only Falcon is missing this, and it leaks air.

The new Meer Falcon bowl I just got in has this and it seems to me that this is what makes the seal. And I can't find any site which offers these.

Otherwise I'll have to go to my local hardware store and see if I can get an o-ring that will do the job.

TIA

Cheers,

RR

I;ve never seen any of those rings used for the briar bowls. Mine did not come with one and smokes just fine. I would imagine that the meer bowls are more susceptable to tightening pressues and these help them. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:30 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
I was wondering about that myself; try brother DGErwin11's site. Looks like these will work.

http://www.dgehandmadepipes.com/catalog/replacement-falconviking-bowls

That's very helpful Richard. Thanks amigo!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:35 pm

Richard Burley wrote:

Hey, Ya gotta wear the Bolo buddy or ya can't smoke it!
Here's a selection for ya to try. Bolo Ties

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:01 am

Cartaphilus wrote:

Now that's a Falcon guy if I ever saw one! Must be a metal thing. Why, the hair trim alone identifies him as a Falcon smoker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leacha

Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:03 am

Hers some info for the hardware store hunt.

http://tampandpuff.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8316#p123778
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gus

Registration date : 2009-10-17

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:24 am

I like Falcon pipes, I have four or five bodies and nine or ten bowls, I donīt known ceirtanlly I have, but for my are very confortables
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:30 am

leacha wrote:

Hmmm...that's a "leaking Falcons" thread. Anyone had that problem? I'm liking mine so far--based on one whole bowl of red Virginia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:37 am

Richard Burley wrote:
leacha wrote:

Hmmm...that's a "leaking Falcons" thread. Anyone had that problem? I'm liking mine so far--based on one whole bowl of red Virginia.

That's me. My one and only Falcon has this issue and it looks to be down to a missing o-ring. Never even knew they needed one until I just got in the Meer bowl for the POTY.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:00 am

I guess I meant anyone else have that problem?...or, in other words, is that a common problem with these pipes? Mine has a barely detectable gasket. I'll call it that because it's flat, not round in cross-section like an O-ring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:
leacha wrote:

That's me. My one and only Falcon has this issue and it looks to be down to a missing o-ring. Never even knew they needed one until I just got in the Meer bowl for the POTY.

Cheers,

RR

Send it, I can fix it. Or someone else who jumps in can. Just sayin', as the sayin' goes.............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:05 pm

My one and only complaint about these falcons so far is the fact that they don't use acrylic for the mouthpieces. Nylon is just OK. Better than cheap vulcanite, but just OK. If they'd offer acrylic these things would be so much better.

Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:
leacha wrote:

Cheers,

RR

Send it, I can fix it. Or someone else who jumps in can. Just sayin', as the sayin' goes.............

Very good of you to offer Ozzie, and I just might take you up on that if I can't find a suitable o-ring at the hardware store. But I'll give it the old college try first.

I'll be sending you my Meer Falcon POTY for engraving soon anyways.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
loneredtree

Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:36 pm

I do not think that the OEM Falcon bowls have "o" rings. Those pictured in the link are press on bowls not screw on as per the Viking and Falcon ones.

bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:03 am

loneredtree wrote:
I do not think that the OEM Falcon bowls have "o" rings. Those pictured in the link are press on bowls not screw on as per the Viking and Falcon ones.

bounce

Maybe some do and some don't. My new "Istanbul" bowl has a flat gasket of very hard rubber or nylon. I can't believe the factory doesn't sell these if they eventually become a problem. I was thinking maybe putting beeswax on the threads would work, but I guess it would just melt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:56 am

I just use Crazy Glue on all mine, fixes that problem right up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:34 am

Richard Burley wrote:

Richard, enlarge the hole at the bottom of the bowl and, that's it! Ream the bowl hole Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:19 pm

Right, so I spent a few minutes at the local Mom & Pop hardware store today and rummaged through their bins of o-rings until I found a couple that seemed to work acceptably.

None were the sizes as suggested in above posts, but that could account for the particular bowl I have. All I can say is that the bowl now seals against the dish (spoon, or whatever it's called) of the stem. So now just need to fire it up and see if this solves the problem.

However, the draw seems to be a bit firm and I'm starting to wonder if the dry ring is causing this. Won't really know until I put match to bowl and see how it really draws under fire. I see that Mr. Burley had a draw issue and took out the dry ring and then had success. So I'll bear that in mind.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:00 am

Brewdude wrote:
...I see that Mr. Burley had a draw issue and took out the dry ring and then had success. So I'll bear that in mind.

Yep. The round bottom of my (Istanbul) bowl impinges on the ring. Nice design, Falcoonery, Inc. I assume this could be fixed, not by enlarging the hole, but by sanding the round bottom flat. But I don't see any reason for using the dry ring anyhow, though I haven't tried aromatics yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:58 pm

My trio is all put together now, and there are a few more bowls not pictured.

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: falcon pipes   Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:32 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
My trio is all put together now, and there are a few more bowls not pictured.

Why are all your pics upside down? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

falcon pipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: