HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What age will you retire?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
SkagitSmoke

Registration date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: What age will you retire?   Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:37 am

When to retire is a very personal decision. Retirement in the traditional context seems foreign to me. I don't think I could just stop working and be happy. Staying interested and being involved is key to keeping one's mind clear.

Certainly having adequate funding or pension is key. Traditional defined benefit pension plans aren't always what they're cracked up to be - especially if you are younger. I would much rather have a defined contribution plan where I can have some control over how my money is invested. Higher risk but certainly likely to have a higher return. Planning is key and you need to make sure to take care of yourself. Early and often.

I am a firm believer in the sustainability of the American financial system. Why? Because those same scammers on Wall Street that people rail on are smart enough to know how to still make money and work around future legislation.

I love what I do. Now that I have my own practice (I'm a CPA) I can serve my customers exactly as I feel they should be served. The autonomy this provides allows me to really enjoy what I do instead of being scared. That being said, our profession is full of old dudes that refuse to quit even when their skills are declining. I will try to be mindful to quit when I'm on top before I start to go nuts or become crotchety.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loco pony

Registration date : 2013-09-21

PostSubject: Re: What age will you retire?   Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:56 pm

I will have too work long after I am dead in order to retire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: What age will you retire?   Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:53 pm

For many years I viewed my impending retirement as the promised land. Now that I am retired I find that I really don't enjoy it. I miss my old job terribly. Everybody is different and your experience of retirement may be the polar opposite of mine, I just didn't realise how much of my identity was interwoven and bound with my career. I never thought I would miss work so much.....

Fraternally

Jers

Last edited by Jers on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What age will you retire?   Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:19 pm

When I retired from the military I knew it was going to be quite the shock to the system.
So I got a mindless low responsibility job. Going from being 'important' to 'just another peon" helped a lot.
Retiring from the second job was like being let out of solitary confinement and seeing daylight again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What age will you retire?   Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Jers wrote:
Now that I am retired I find that I really don't enjoy it. I miss my old job terribly... I just didn't realise how much of my identity was interwoven and bound with my career.
I see this a lot, and I think you articulated it well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371 Online
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What age will you retire?   Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:19 am

Jers I understand all too well what you're talking about! I was forced to retire 18 years ago! I hated it at first and everyone that had anything to do with it. I willingly devoted my life to my job and often put in 100 hours a week. It is quite a shock to wake up and realize you don't have that any more. Having many interests and enjoying reading and learning saved me. I no longer miss the pressure but I do still miss the feeling I got when I was able to help some family find closure. ( I worked in a forensics lab identifying human skeletal remains). I hope you reach a point where you finally get to enjoy your time brother!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: What age will you retire?   Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks guys. This is what makes BOB much more than a tobacco review site.

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What age will you retire?   Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Even if money was no object I don't think I will ever retire. So to answer . . . when I'm dead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What age will you retire?   Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:09 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Jers I understand all too well what you're talking about! I was forced to retire 18 years ago! I hated it at first and everyone that had anything to do with it. I willingly devoted my life to my job and often put in 100 hours a week. It is quite a shock to wake up and realize you don't have that any more. Having many interests and enjoying reading and learning saved me. I no longer miss the pressure but I do still miss the feeling I got when I was able to help some family find closure. ( I worked in a forensics lab identifying human skeletal remains). I hope you reach a point where you finally get to enjoy your time brother!

Jim
huff/Jim

So if I have this right, you were forced to retire 18 yrs ago. The date stamp on your profile says you're 43.

So you have been retired since age 25?????????

scratch 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What age will you retire?   Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Brewdude wrote:

So you have been retired since age 25?
I had done the math too BD. I was wondering about this myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371 Online
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: What age will you retire?   Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:58 pm

I will be retiring at age 63. I have a fairly decent pension plus social security until the government fails and the revolution comes. I guess you could say I'll be sorta retired. I won't be chasing bad guys anymore but I will be pursuing my writing career more vigorously.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What age will you retire?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: