HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First try at a pipe

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Crafty

Registration date : 2013-09-06

First try at a pipe Empty
PostSubject: First try at a pipe   First try at a pipe EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 12:08 am

Hoping the pictures attach properly. This is my first try at ever making a pipe. I was bored at the wood shop 1 day and had a chunk of pecan that had some interesting grain in it. I tried it because I have a couple coworkers that smoke pipe and was wondering what I could do. I'm an avid wood worker that is bored with always making furniture. As you can tell I was really just experimenting but learned a lot and also that I liked the process to make it. Everything was made freehand with a Dremmel and belt sander. The stem was a piece of Corrian (acrylic solid surface countertop) that I had for turning pens. Planning on getting a kit or 2 to try the briar. A fun process that lets you bring out the characteristics of the wood.

First try at a pipe Img_0112
Back to top Go down
whitepony1986

Registration date : 2013-07-28

PostSubject: Re: First try at a pipe   First try at a pipe EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 12:49 am

i kinda like the shape tho im not diggin the stem but a good first pipe no doubt
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: First try at a pipe   First try at a pipe EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 1:02 am

I have to agree it is nice, especially as a first pipe. The stem is interesting, and if you smoke it, I am interested in how the Corian stem is. I'd say get a few kits and go to town!
Back to top Go down
Crafty

Registration date : 2013-09-06

PostSubject: Re: First try at a pipe   First try at a pipe EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 8:27 am

Thanks. I consider this more of a learning project than a smoking project but 1 of my co-workers said he'd like it for his collection, he has a collection old hand made pipes from his grand father. So it'll fit right in. Things I learned from making this.
1. Get a tobacco chamber drill bit. I used a 3/4" round nose router bit to get a concave bottom to the chamber.
2. Facing the stem freehand is a pain! Laughing there's a small gap at the bottom of the stem that I couldn't get to close.
3. Get a sanding disk/buffing wheel for my lathe when it arrives and gets set up. An 1/8" wide 3/4" diameter felt wheel on a Dremmel can only do so much.

I had ordered a small lathe for other wood working projects (pens/bowls/etc) so once that is up and running that make a huge difference in what I can do.
Back to top Go down
friar_jay

friar_jay

Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: First try at a pipe   First try at a pipe EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Wow...looks nice.
Back to top Go down
https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/13483

First try at a pipe
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: