HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration   Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:45 pm

I found this unusual 1963 552 shape, Group 4 Bruyere pipe on Ebay last week. The pipe was delivered today and I finished the restoration, which was pretty straight forward.   I can only find one other Shape 552, an Ebay auction in Shell finish that sold in 2007.  One of my brit-pipe buddies suggested it was part of some experimental shapes made by Dunhill in the early 60's, which is why it is not on any Dunhill shape charts. (Loring, etc.)

Here's the full write up and pictures at the Reborn Pipes blog:
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/09/11/63-dunhill-552-restoration/

Before & After Shots:



Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration   Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Great work as always Al!

Cool 



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
AJ

avatar

Age : 68
Location : East of the Rocky Mountains
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration   Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Nice job Al. I saw this on eBay and I'm glad a brother got it. I think it's quiet rare. cheers 

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration   Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:57 pm

That's one DAMN FINE looking Dunnie ya got there Al! And a Bruyere series at that !! Looks to be a sort of cross btwn a Diplomat and a Banker but looks like a perfect pipe for smoking some Dunhill Flake in ! Ya done good guy !! Razz Razz 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

avatar

Age : 49
Location : England UK
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration   Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:18 pm

What a wonderful shape and an even more impressive refurb', congrat's on both parts. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitepony1986



Age : 31
Registration date : 2013-07-28

PostSubject: Re: '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration   Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:29 pm

great score ....one day i will own a dunhill....one day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration   Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:32 pm

whitepony1986 wrote:
great score ....one day i will own a dunhill....one day
I have a lot of British made pipes (well, nearly all of them) but I did not own a Dunhill. I had a 2002 Cumberland, a tall stack billiard and never warmed up to the shape. I vowed my next one would be from the 60's. I think it's cool that this one is 50 years old.

The wild card is the filter stem, I never anticipated that. Has anyone smoked a filter Dunhill w/out the filter?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration   Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:12 pm

riff raff wrote:
whitepony1986 wrote:
great score ....one day i will own a dunhill....one day
I have a lot of British made pipes (well, nearly all of them) but I did not own a Dunhill.  I had a 2002 Cumberland, a tall stack billiard and never warmed up to the shape.  I vowed my next one would be from the 60's.  I think it's cool that this one is 50 years old.  

The wild card is the filter stem, I never anticipated that.  Has anyone smoked a filter Dunhill w/out the filter?  
I have 5 Dunhill's from the 50/60's and they ALL came with stingers as well as my newer Cumberland (2007) and  have just pulled 'em out and smoked 'em without with any problem! They were designed I believe to be able to be smoked either way. I know a lot of Dunnie smokers that have Dunnie's with stingers who just pull 'em out and smoke 'em "sans filter" with no problems ! I will say that the longer that stinger has been in the stem and smoked it is NOT an easy thing to do as it was with my newer one which just almost slipped out. It might take a bit of heat to loosen but I'm sure it can be done ( I have done it to mine.) Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration   Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks, I've pulled a few stingers and that opening is very close to a standard tenon hole. Those pipes smoke better without the stinger But, this is a 6 mm opening, it's significantly larger than a stinger hole (holds some kind of paper filter I assume).

monbla256 wrote:
riff raff wrote:
whitepony1986 wrote:
great score ....one day i will own a dunhill....one day
I have a lot of British made pipes (well, nearly all of them) but I did not own a Dunhill.  I had a 2002 Cumberland, a tall stack billiard and never warmed up to the shape.  I vowed my next one would be from the 60's.  I think it's cool that this one is 50 years old.  

The wild card is the filter stem, I never anticipated that.  Has anyone smoked a filter Dunhill w/out the filter?  
I have 5 Dunhill's from the 50/60's and they ALL came with stingers as well as my newer Cumberland (2007) and  have just pulled 'em out and smoked 'em without with any problem! They were designed I believe to be able to be smoked either way. I know a lot of Dunnie smokers that have Dunnie's with stingers who just pull 'em out and smoke 'em "sans filter" with no problems ! I will say that the longer that stinger has been in the stem and smoked it is NOT an easy thing to do as it was with my newer one which just almost slipped out. It might take a bit of heat to loosen but I'm sure it can be done ( I have done it to mine.) Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration   Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Oh! do I envy all that prime British wood in your collection. Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
herbinedave

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Anthracite Coal Fields of PA
Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration   Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:43 am

Another great restoration Al, ENJOY!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration   Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Super job on the restoration! The only 6mm filter I know of is the little Savinelli balsa filters. Don't know if that's what it was intended for or not but they should fit it you want to use them.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: '63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration   Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:36 pm

Well, I smoked it twice sans-filter and it smokes just like a regular drilled pipe. Cool and dry, a very nice smoke. It was very enjoyable, lighting a pipe that is 50 years old. I will have to make sure to keep the filter chamber clean, that seems to be the only downside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
'63 Dunhill Bruyere 552 Restoration
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Restored M1917 Tank at CWM
» Wanted: 17 Pounder restoration in Manitoba Canada
» The Utilities - Backup and Restore
» Restoration work finished, Ottawa's National War Memorial is open to the public again
» Devils dare restoration project

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: