HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

This Is Not The Highlight Reel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: This Is Not The Highlight Reel   Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:36 pm

For you sports fans, this has nothing to do with sports, or at least very little.

This also isn't a rant, just an observation.

I've got a very good friend that lives too far away these days to visit often, so we catch up on the phone fairly often. I've noticed the last few times that we've talked, he's "hitting the highlights", e.g. The car broke down, work is good, and so on. It's got me thinking about conversation and information.

Now anyone who has talked with me on the phone knows that an hour could go by before I knew it. That's just me. I like good conversation, and I don't mind taking the time out of my day for it. I'm sure it's also a personality thing mostly.

...But I got to thinking about the way we take in and deliver information these days. Media... Highlight reels, Facebook, G+, News Apps. They're all about giving us "the best" the quickest. I find myself scrolling through the "what's hot" on G+ these days only looking for things that catch my attention...like those ridiculous moving .gif images. I have to chuckle when I write that, because some of those things are hilarious.

I feel like we're moving into an age where the details get lost. The story, for the most part, goes untold. We skip the details to make more time to be more busy. The art of storytelling and good conversation seems to be dying.

In some regards, I can't wait to be that old guy sitting on the porch with his pipe, chatting it up with his friend for hours on end, not because there's nothing better to do, but because it's important.

Give me details, give me emotion, give me life!

Oh, and good tobacco of course. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: This Is Not The Highlight Reel   Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:54 pm

This is not lost on me Brian.

I've an old friend going back 30 yrs or so.

We used to be pretty close, and when I lived near him we'd get into these really detailed conversations that would last for hrs, or so it seemed. About all kinds of geeky things.

Despite me moving away when my career path took me to the PacNW some 23 yrs ago we've remained close friends. He did the family thing.

Yet, after all these yrs when we talk on the "dog and bone" we get right back into all those geeky conversations we always used to have. Just like no time had ever elapsed.

Very grateful for all that.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com

PostSubject: Re: This Is Not The Highlight Reel   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:06 am

Short attention spans have all but been built into people by the "educational" establishment that's substituted entertainment for roll-up-the-sleeves-and-engage work. And by the media in general. It's been a race to the bottom for 50 years, and it's no surprise that that's where we find ourselves. Immediate gratification with no investment in the process is the name of the game everywhere.

It's a hard thing to struggle against. Present people with evidence that events are going badly wrong for them that they'd have to consider intelligently and think about, and it keys the auto-reject feature. It's easier to laugh at "conspiracy theories" and reject them in anger as annoyances -- taking the easy way around difficulties has been so instilled by so many millions of commercials by now that it's a habit -- a default setting in the program. Besides : everybody knows that knee-jerk emotional responses trump facts and logic.

Considering that alternative would involve a rude denial of the divine right to be happy, "exceptional" and prosperous with no effort.

Lord help those who are out to tell people what the managers don't want them to hear.

But life is nothing if not ironic. And there is natural justice, no matter how strenuously people try to outlaw it. People have opted out of newspapers in collective disgust : they recognise when they're being lied-to, subconsciously. The same thing's happened with TV "News" to the point where polls show that internet blogs are now the first choice sources for news & analysis. They're spontaneous work-arounds to reach some sense of the underlying reality that events reflect.

It's a subconscious rebellion against stupidity and torpor, IMO.

What a Face
Back to top Go down

This Is Not The Highlight Reel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: