HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The end of an era

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: The end of an era   Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:19 pm

I went into my barber's yesterday to get my monthly haircut and barber shave and had a rude awakening! Robert, who was the owner of the shop said as I sat down in his chair " This will be the last time we do this, Michael"  I looked at him and asked "why?" and he replied, "I'm retiring and have sold the shop to those folks" pointing to a couple over in the back. I've been going to him for a shave and a haircut for OVER 30 years now and have watched as his shopped diminished in size from 6 chairs with 6 barbers to just him these past 5 years now. He's 78 yo and deserves to retire but I could tell from his voice that he was uncertain about it all. Back when I started going to him, we all could smoke in the shop and he would cut my hair and give me my shave with his Falcon full of Granger going full blast !! Even after he put up the NO SMOKING sign in the window, per the city ordinance, he and those customers who did, smoked at will in the shop. He had a small 8 pipe rack on his counter with 8 of his beloved Falcons proudly displayed for all to see and him to pick from!
He said he was taking the barber pole sign from outside the shop and his chair he has used all the years (35 since he opened the shop) he's been there home with him. The couple who bought the shop are going to put in a "uni-sex" hair cutting "salon" in it's place. After he finished me, he had one more customer and sveral other of his "regulars" had come in to help him load up and leave. We unwired and took down the "barber pole" sign and carried his chair and it out to his truck and there was a goup of about 10 guys waving good by as he drove off to his home. ( a few of the guys went to his house to unload his truck) .
There is only one traditional "barber shop" left here in town, and they don't do shaves anymore, so all I will be able to get will be a haircut now. I guess all good things must come to and end someday, I just hadn't figured on this !! I'm gonna miss his mumbled conversations with his Falcon clenched firmly 'tween his teeth while his scissors clicked and he lathered up my face. I'm really gonna miss that HOT towel he'd wrap your face with prior to lathering you up and stropping that ivory handled razor of his !!
I wish the new folks well and guess this is one of those "constants" in life - Change.  Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:39 pm

30 years. That is amazing. Since I'm folically challenged I haven't been to a barber shop in 12 years. I have such fond memories going with my dad on Saturdays when I was young. Sorry to hear about the shop closing Michael. I hope your friend has an awesome retirement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:45 pm

Sorry for your loss, Monbla.    Seriously.   Who knows, keep the guy's number handy and make sure he has yours...I've known old, retired barbers to set up their chairs in spaces in their homes and ask fellas over for beers, barbecue and the lot for some "good old days" kind of get-togethers. Gives 'em something to do.   Fellas bring the food, he'll make y'all look and feel like new men.   Smile Works out for everyone.

All isn't too lost, though.  I have two friends who are going through extended training in barber school to open up their own shops.   Not salons, not "haircut" hack shops, but the real thing.   They're young at heart, old in soul, and will try to carry the torch the best they can.   One is into pipes, the other cigars, and have said it will be a "smoking establishment" regardless of how the city feels about it (for now, there are no laws about smoking unless food is involved).   I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:01 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Sorry for your loss, Monbla.    Seriously.   Who knows, keep the guy's number handy and make sure he has yours...I've known old, retired barbers to set up their chairs in spaces in their homes and ask fellas over for beers, barbecue and the lot for some "good old days" kind of get-togethers.  Gives 'em something to do.   Fellas bring the food, he'll make y'all look and feel like new men.   Smile Works out for everyone.  

All isn't too lost, though.  I have two friends who are going through extended training in barber school to open up their own shops.   Not salons, not "haircut" hack shops, but the real thing.   They're young at heart, old in soul, and will try to carry the torch the best they can.   One is into pipes, the other cigars, and have said it will be a "smoking establishment" regardless of how the city feels about it (for now, there are no laws about smoking unless food is involved).   I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  

Cool
I honestly wish your friends success! There is a "niche" market for this for sure. The reason the "barber" shops around here do not do shaves is due to the Aids thing with body fluids (ie, nicks and blood) and most of the cities around here have not allowed 'em to do "razor shaves" . There are a couple (over in Dallas) that will give you a "shave" with an electric razor but that's really an insult to barbering in my mind !
Times change, Sad Sad 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:16 pm

Times do change...hopefully we'll have our own institutions to take refuge within, if not the niche revivals of the past. Who knows...

...folks' weekly trips to Wal-Mart aren't something I can see being the subject of a much-loved, cultural picture book 50 years from now. Smile

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:23 pm

I shudder each time I walk into WM; what a vicious organization! But then the other corporations are just as bad.

Sorry to hear that a 30 year tradition is going away. When you do something that long it becomes more than habit; well yes, like a tradition, as you say. Maybe you could find something pleasant to do instead? It won't be the same, but it might take some of the load of loss off.
Back to top Go down
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:21 pm

FWIW, I get a haircut every two weeks and have used the same barber for 13+ years. That is not 30 years, but it is still a while. She closed her shop and installed her barber chair in the basement of her house. She kept a few of her long-time customers. I think I am the most recent of the long-time folks, but I am an easy, simple haircut. I always have given her $10 for an $8 cut with a beard trim. The haircut itself has never changed (except it has thinned a little). I still go every two weeks. It might not hurt to ask...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:36 pm

I feel your pain Michael.

I've been going to the same one chair barber shop in my little town for 15 yrs, and the guy who ran it died recently. He always knew just exactly how I wanted my hair cut, I never had to tell him, and he did it just right.

It was the old time kind of place too. Lots of regulars just stopping in to shoot the breeze. The barber was big into hunting and fishing and had trophies on the walls. A real manly type of place.

An attractive young gal bought the biz, and she's redecorated it out of all recognition. She held the line on the cost (for now) and does a decent job on the cut. And she's easy on the eyes, but is a chatterbox too.......

Rolling Eyes 

Last time I was in she said something about putting in a second chair and bringing in another barber. This is a very small shop too - maybe 15' x 15'. Looks like it was once a 2 chair operation, but in all the time I've been going there it's been 1 chair.

While I wish her well in her endeavour, at the same time I lament the passing of the old guard.

Hope you can connect with your old barber in some way.

Neutral 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: The end of an era   Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Sorry for your loss, Monbla.    Seriously.   Who knows, keep the guy's number handy and make sure he has yours...I've known old, retired barbers to set up their chairs in spaces in their homes and ask fellas over for beers, barbecue and the lot for some "good old days" kind of get-togethers.  Gives 'em something to do.   Fellas bring the food, he'll make y'all look and feel like new men.   Smile Works out for everyone.  

Cool
What a great idea...you should suggest it to him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:38 pm

More steeklin entropy, I say. I had the same barber for years, then he took to fire water in the daytime, so I began auditioning replacements. Problem is, most barbers give every customer the same haircut. So I continued auditioning and ended up going to "the salon" where my missus has her beauty work performed. Patti cuts my hair in ten minutes flat (which is good), but the standard charge is $20 plus tip, so I get a haircut every 4-5 weeks. Another problem with having females as barbers is that they are very smart at getting nuggets of information from dopey guys. (Patti, it turned out, was my daughter's BF's aunt and neighbor -- how the hell should I know? -- and she'd ask things like, "So do you think this guy is The One?" "No, nice guy, but a couch potato," I'd reply. (Big deal. She dumped him for a nice guy who isn't a couch potato and who treats her like the Irish princess she is and buys me cases of "artisan" brew for holidays.) I remember when Dad took me to get a haircut. We'd go to the side door of someone's house, Dad would take a beer from the fridge, and we'd go down to the basement where there'd be a bunch of steel workers BSing, drinking boiler makers, smoking and listening to the ballgame while Stosh did the snipsnipsnip. 'Course they all got the same haircut . . . I guess it's a good thing I still need haircuts. Too bad those days are gone, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:44 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:

Cool
I was thinking of this as I was reading the original post. It seems that good old fashioned Barber shops are coming back. (Apparently those hipsters are good for something...) We had a new one open up on main street a couple of months ago and there is of course, the old stand by here in town as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:07 pm

Hey, I heard Walmart's cutting hair now. They have like six different mullets to choose from! Razz 

Great story Monbla. 30 years is an amazing amount of time to go one place, let alone one person for a hair cut. All the best to your friend in retirement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:48 pm

I guess I'm partly at fault;
I haven't paid for a haircut in nearly forty years. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Michael,

I can only relate the feeling you must have had seeing everything packed up and driven off, to watching the my beloved motorcycle being driven off by her new owner.

I am totally in agreement with Kyle, both in that you "may" be able to still get your hair cut and shave experience by him, and in that it may not be quite the end.

With mustaches and beards coming back in style, it almost seems to me like we're beginning to revisit some of the past as a "new thing". As long as it will stick around for a while and not just be a fad, I could see it coming back into fashion as it were.

I've heard more about beards and traditional gentleman pursuits lately than I ever have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Briarbabe

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Growley wrote:
Michael,

I can only relate the feeling you must have had seeing everything packed up and driven off, to watching the my beloved motorcycle being driven off by her new owner.

I am totally in agreement with Kyle, both in that you "may" be able to still get your hair cut and shave experience by him, and in that it may not be quite the end.

With mustaches and beards coming back in style, it almost seems to me like we're beginning to revisit some of the past as a "new thing". As long as it will stick around for a while and not just be a fad, I could see it coming back into fashion as it were.

I've heard more about beards and traditional gentleman pursuits lately than I ever have.
Beards? Did someone say beards? Hello, my name is BriarBabe, why yes I am single. Show me your beard.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:57 pm

Briarbabe wrote:
Growley wrote:
Michael,

Beards? Did someone say beards? Hello, my name is BriarBabe, why yes I am single. Show me your beard.
Do salt/pepper toothbrush mustaches count? And yes I'm single also Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:05 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Briarbabe wrote:
Growley wrote:
Michael,

Haha, mmmm, nope. I love me a beard.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Briarbabe wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Briarbabe wrote:
Growley wrote:
Michael,

Oh well, guy's gotta try Twisted Evil  Used to have a beard, big Hemingway type but it was more work than shaving so it came off Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:19 pm

If you are still single, those men in Chambersburg are dumb, blind or both!

Fortunately, the need to get very frequent haircuts diminished when my long time barber ($4/cut) retired and sold his shop, sparing me the pain of finding a new one. My wife now "styles" my hair.......which is Maryland speak for buzz cut. She does the dog and then me, I put up less of a fuss but can't keep my hands to myself.....

Briarbabe wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Briarbabe wrote:
Growley wrote:
Michael,

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:29 pm

riff raff wrote:
If you are still single, those men in Chambersburg are dumb, blind or both!  
Awww, thanks. Apparently they are. :/
Back to top Go down
Growley

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 pm

I just heard about this site last night and haven't had too much time to look it over...but apparently it's mainly about Bearded Men
Back to top Go down
Briarbabe

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Growley wrote:
I just heard about this site last night and haven't had too much time to look it over...but apparently it's mainly about Bearded Men
Spiffy! I'm an atheist though, not sure those fellas would like me much. Wink On a really good day, I'm agnostic leaning.
Back to top Go down
Growley

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Briarbabe wrote:
Growley wrote:
Spiffy! I'm an atheist though, not sure those fellas would like me much. ;)On a really good day, I'm agnostic leaning.
I wasn't tryin' to hook ya up...just showin' ya some quality beards. Very Happy

...not that that really has much to do with Michael's original post. Sorry about adding to the thread drift here.
Back to top Go down
Briarbabe

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Growley wrote:
Briarbabe wrote:
Growley wrote:
Spiffy! I'm an atheist though, not sure those fellas would like me much. ;)On a really good day, I'm agnostic leaning.
I wasn't tryin' to hook ya up...just showin' ya some quality beards. Very Happy

...not that that really has much to do with Michael's original post. Sorry about adding to the thread drift here.
There's definitely some great beards in there.
Back to top Go down
Gumball

Registration date : 2011-04-27

PostSubject: Re: The end of an era   Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:44 am

For your daily dose of beardyness I recommend http://www.beards.org/ Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The end of an era
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum