HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Just a little update...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PozzSka

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Valley City, OH
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Just a little update...   Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:06 pm

I typically smoke in my car, or in my garage/workshop/espresso bar/coffee roastery...

Over the past week, in my free time, I've built a new workbench/table, and a handmade pipe rack/case was delivered to my house. So here is my humble "smoking area"

So, I set it all up, and took a few pics...

Me sitting by the new workbench...(another is already being planned to move some of the stuff that's on it)...


Left end (and coffee roster)...


Right end (with pipe rack)...


Before the rack...


The Rack...

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:19 pm

I LIKE the "toolbox" pipe cabinet !!! Did you make that ? NEAT,NEAT idea !!Razz Razz 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

avatar

Age : 50
Location : Fuquay Varina, NC
Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Nice! What do like to roast up? You SO in that espresso machine or your own blend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io
PozzSka

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Valley City, OH
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:42 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I LIKE the "toolbox" pipe cabinet !!! Did you make that ? NEAT,NEAT idea !!Razz Razz 
No, it was my idea, however. Check out four-giants.tumblr.com for the guy who did.

I do now want to try and see if I can create anything similar though. I'm going to practice with some pallets from work. And buy nicer wood after a couple tries.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
PozzSka

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Valley City, OH
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:44 pm

GeoffC wrote:
Nice!  What do like to roast up?  You SO in that espresso machine or your own blend?
I roast whatever my customers order. And I drink the leftovers...rarely do I get to pick what I drink. Haha!

I have some favorites for espresso, SO Brazil's are great, and my favorite blend is a brazil/Yirgacheffe blend, at CityPlus/almost full city roast.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Fatman

avatar

Age : 54
Location : Alaska
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Great looking spot! I enjoy the coffee equipment, I imagine roasting coffee has to be a lot of fn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
PozzSka

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Valley City, OH
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:57 pm

Fatman wrote:
Great looking spot! I enjoy the coffee equipment, I imagine roasting coffee has to be a lot of fn.
I enjoy it greatly! As a matter of fact, I am going to a flea market/vintage/craft/local business market tomorrow and there should be about 5000 people who come through. I expect to make 250+ cups of coffee and sell 20 - 12oz bags of beans. It's gonna be a long day!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
pepesdad1

avatar

Age : 73
Location : Tallahassee, Florida
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Just a little update...   Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Great set up....Congrats!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

avatar

Location : Columbus, OH
Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:42 pm

Great set up, Nathan. Thanks for sharing.

And that rack is really sweet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com Online
GeoffC

avatar

Age : 50
Location : Fuquay Varina, NC
Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:14 pm

I use to own a coffee shop and had my own espresso blend. What worked well was

50% Brazil
30% Indonesian (Sumatra or Sulawesi)
20% Accent

Accent was what ever I could get in season. Sometimes Yirgacheffe or Yemen. If I could get it my favorite accent was Red Mountain from Papua New Guinea. I also experimented with some Central American coffees as the accent.Fun times.

Nice setup you got going there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io
PozzSka

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Valley City, OH
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:20 pm

GeoffC wrote:
I use to own a coffee shop and had my own espresso blend.   What worked well was

50% Brazil
30% Indonesian (Sumatra or Sulawesi)
20% Accent

Accent was what ever I could get in season.   Sometimes Yirgacheffe or Yemen.  If I could get it my favorite accent was Red Mountain from Papua New Guinea.   I also experimented with some Central American coffees as the accent.Fun times.  

Nice setup you got going there!
Thanks!

I have had a couple PNG coffees that are awesome SO espresso. I'm not a huge fan of Sumatrans in espresso, and I know that is a standard, so to speak. But I much prefer the brightness of a braz/Guat or braz/Yirg.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Hawker

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Alberta
Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:05 am

Nice rack/case, looks like everything was made to fit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

avatar

Age : 48
Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:28 am

That "tool box" style pipe rack is a great idea and fits in perfectly on a work bench! Nicely crafted as well. I might have to steal that idea at some point in time Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

avatar

Age : 49
Location : England UK
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:58 am

Coffee in your workspace, that is just awesome, nice set up Buddy, kinda makes my shed look quite sad, ha-ha. cheers cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Nice Simonelli.

That li'l 1-banger roaster is pretty nifty too, fire-engine red, chrome and all. Where are you venting the exhaust? Laughing Hopefully not directly in that workspace.

Also, where's the chaffe collector?

I'm used to working on different machines, but I know they vary widely. That one's a looker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Valley City, OH
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Nice Simonelli.  

That li'l 1-banger roaster is pretty nifty too, fire-engine red, chrome and all.   Where are you venting the exhaust?  Laughing  Hopefully not directly in that workspace.  

Also, where's the chaffe collector?

I'm used to working on different machines, but I know they vary widely.   That one's a looker.    
Since its only a 2kg machine it doesn't really "need" a chaff collector. But I have one on "hold" from the manufacturer if I ever need it.

It vents outside you just can't see it in the photo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
alfredo_buscatti

avatar

Age : 62
Location : Piedmont, North Carolina
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:56 pm

There's nothing quite so startling and intensely aromatic as beans being roasted. Good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:49 am

PozzSka wrote:
Since its only a 2kg machine it doesn't really "need" a chaff collector. But I have one on "hold" from the manufacturer if I ever need it.

It vents outside you just can't see it in the photo.
Good. Unless you like huffing roast fumes. pale

The "San Franciscan" roasters ( http://www.coffeeper.com/ ) I used to use all had chaff collectors on all capacities...and I'm glad they did. Fellas down the road used a 1-banger and didn't have one, and there was a hint of burnt something-er-other in their coffee. They called it "wood-fired" even though they used propane...I guess it had that kind of a notion about it, but...it was a bit much for my palate. Sells well, though, so what do I know? Laughing

Anyway, yeah. Have fun with that li'l machine. I know they heat up fast and need a close eye on 'em, but worth the effort!

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:52 am

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
There's nothing quite so startling and intensely aromatic as beans being roasted. Good!
That's a yes/no thing.  The right air/roast-stink mixture ends up smelling like a light smoke, and not nearly like the freshly-roasted beans.   A whiff of it a couple blocks away, though, and it smells quite nice.  Right next to it, not so much.   The real treat is when the beans have "gassed out" about 24-48 hours later and openin' the resting container and stickin' yer nose inside.  Now THAT is heaven.  I love you 

Do enough of the whole process, especially grinding, and when you blow your nose, you have constant brown gunk inside.   Laughing  Now there's a pretty sight.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlG

avatar

Location : Cape Town, South Africa
Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:01 am

Two of my most favourite things in the world together: coffee and pipes! Very cool!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.goussardpipes.com/
PozzSka

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Valley City, OH
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
PozzSka wrote:
Since its only a 2kg machine it doesn't really "need" a chaff collector. But I have one on "hold" from the manufacturer if I ever need it.

It vents outside you just can't see it in the photo.
Good.  Unless you like huffing roast fumes.   pale 

The "San Franciscan" roasters ( http://www.coffeeper.com/ ) I used to use all had chaff collectors on all capacities...and I'm glad they did.   Fellas down the road used a 1-banger and didn't have one, and there was a hint of burnt something-er-other in their coffee.   They called it "wood-fired" even though they used propane...I guess it had that kind of a notion about it, but...it was a bit much for my palate.   Sells well, though, so what do I know?   Laughing

Anyway, yeah.   Have fun with that li'l machine.   I know they heat up fast and need a close eye on 'em, but worth the effort!

Cool
I don't have any hints of "wood-fired" in mine, haha! Maybe they had poor airflow through their machine...I've pooched roasts where I've forgotten or overlooked airflow (back when I first got the machine), but never claimed it as a selling-point.

And, I agree, opening up the bucket/bag of coffee the next day is the best part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
PozzSka

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Valley City, OH
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:09 pm

CharlG wrote:
Two of my most favourite things in the world together: coffee and pipes! Very cool!
Thanks!

(if anyone ever wants to barter coffee for pipes...just sayin'...) ;-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Careful there, I sent out quite a few bags of my beans back when I was doing it and "...got any more?" messages started occurring. Laughing

As for the neighbor roasters, their machines had great airflow, what would happen is the chaff would build up and eventually burn off. The exhaust was drawn by a single fan, and the area outside the drum was hard to access. That's why I dug the San Franciscan roasters I worked with...they used a really cool gravity-feed blower-assist to capture the chaff. Just open the trap door, stick in a shop vac, and done.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Valley City, OH
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Careful there, I sent out quite a few bags of my beans back when I was doing it and "...got any more?" messages started occurring.   Laughing 

As for the neighbor roasters, their machines had great airflow, what would happen is the chaff would build up and eventually burn off.   The exhaust was drawn by a single fan, and the area outside the drum was hard to access.  That's why I dug the San Franciscan roasters I worked with...they used a really cool gravity-feed blower-assist to capture the chaff.   Just open the trap door, stick in a shop vac, and done.  

Cool
I just took mine all apart a couple weeks ago (after having used it for sometime between deep cleanings) and it was fine..a little brushing, a little wiping, a little shop vac, and done. SO I must be OK...the only place I get chaff build up is just beneath the perforated floor of the cooling tray, but that's easy to get to with a couple little thumb screws in an access panel, shop vac it out and I'm good to go.

Nice to see a couple other roasters out there (or ex-roasters, as it were).


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Just a little update...   Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:35 pm

I didn't want to be an ex-roaster, but I had to attend to my own business. Now that business is slow again, I could be roasting--but roasting is a full-time endeavor (or at least should be un-distracted)...

...there's so many roaster designs out there. Some work better than others. 🤷 If you are getting good results from your beans, that's all that matters.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Just a little update...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Haleigh Cummings Update - Radio Wrap Up For Jan/31
» Pat Brown update
» Find Madeleine site update Day 1827 3 May 2012
» Update on CPP Disability Info Confirmation That Sisip LTD Will Require
» Update of Nov 16 & 17 Court Case

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: