HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Doody in Dublin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mr. Doody

Registration date : 2012-04-14

PostSubject: Doody in Dublin   Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Greetings brothers. I'm going to be in Dublin Ireland for two weeks on business. Other than the Peterson factory, I'm wondering if there are any particular pipe-related things I should check out while in town.

Heck - any suggestions on anything interesting in Dublin are actually appreciated!

TIA,
Doody
alienalienalien
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Doody in Dublin   Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:04 pm

Do the Guinness tour!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Doody in Dublin   Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:50 am

If you like quiet out of the way places you might like to check out Iveagh Gardens

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs&ie=UTF-8&q=iveagh+gardens&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=Iveagh+Gardens&cid=0,0,3782909778650766310&ei=VfVgUs7PKqOu0QXRi4CoDQ&ved=0CJkBEPwS

Some images of the Gardens
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Iveagh+Gardens&client=firefox-a&hs=jG7&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=rcs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=cPVgUtvuAaa60QXDlYDADg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=768&dpr=1

Only gets busy as you see in some of the images during Festivals, it is one of Dublin's lesser known places of beauty, very spiritual and heart warming if you enjoy such adventures. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klause

Registration date : 2012-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Doody in Dublin   Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Highly recommend the Guinness Store House - very interesting.

Just take a walk around in the early evening and soak up the atmosphere. (+1 on Kirk's recommendation)

Oh! don't forget to stock up on Condor Plug - bit expensive at nearly 9 for 25 grms, but worth every cent - this is the REAL taste of 'Old Ireland'.

Most of all, have a cracking time.

Not sure if the James Joyce house will be open for tours, but if it is - definitely worth a visit.

Last edited by klause on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just remembered Joyce)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Doody

PostSubject: Re: Doody in Dublin   Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:18 am

Thx gents!

The Guinness tour is on my list - we'll see if I can fit it in. This is a business trip so I won't have that much free time.

Iveagh Gardens are a 5 minute walk from the office - will DEFINITELY check that out - thx!

Condor Plug is officially on my pickup list :-) . Damn expensive, but "when in Rome...".

I'm a huge James Joyce fan, so that's on my list. My understanding is that there are no tours any longer, but you can see the house and get a pic of yourself with the statue :-) . Debating whether to bring Ulysses or Dubliners with me!

Doody!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Doody

PostSubject: Re: Doody in Dublin   Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:42 am

Once again, thanks for everybody's advice. Shuffling out of MA today for two weeks of work. Gonna miss my dog an awful lot. Oh yeah, and my kids. Yeah - and the wife too. ;-).

Bringing two Radices, a Mastro de Paja, and a compact Reddog with me - along with ample supplies of HH Vintage Syrian and HH Highland Blend. Condor Plug to be secured upon arrival (I have to walk right by James Fox to get to the office!).

See y'all on Ireland time next.

Doody
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Doody in Dublin   Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:15 pm

This place is definitely worth a look and has lots of character. Not a great selection of pipe tobaccos but an excellent range of cigars and a really nice place to get a Cuban coffee and relax for a few minutes.

http://www.decent-cigar.com/

Don't expect to be able to purchase much pipe tobacco within the Duty Free shop at Dublin Airport. I was there recently an the range of pipe tobaccos on offer was very poor.

I hope you have a great trip.

Fraternally

Jers

Last edited by Jers on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ua_piper

Registration date : 2009-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Doody in Dublin   Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:29 pm

If you can fit it in, a trip to Jameson is well worth it. And if you're a whiskey drinker, pick up some Mitchell & Son Yellow Spot and/or Green Spot for some great whiskey you can't get in the states.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Doody in Dublin
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1