HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

riff raff inspired Falcon refurb...it's Steampunk GREEN!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: riff raff inspired Falcon refurb...it's Steampunk GREEN!   Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:34 pm

I recently purchased a very well refinished Falcon stem and bowl from riff raff, always a pleasant experience.  The job he did on the bowl was nothing short of amazing...two-tone stain, very handsome.

I like Falcons in general, and some more than others. They are very good smokers, force you to keep them spotlessly clean, and have a industrial revolution steampunk charm that I find very appealing.  So I go over to my Falcon drawer and select my favorite stem...a bronze colored straight...and a likely looking bowl...a straight sided, easy to sand number...like the riff raff had done except smaller in size.

And then I sanded the heck out of it, till 90% of the stain was gone, and put on a layer of Black Feibings Leather Dye, let it dry overight...sanded it down with 400 grit paper and 0000 steel wool till the correct level of wood was clean vs still showing black stain.  Then hit it with Higgins Green India Ink (a waterproof calligraphy ink), let THAT dry overnight...sanded it down very, very lightly then buffed it, and here's the result.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: riff raff inspired Falcon refurb...it's Steampunk GREEN!   Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:10 pm

Darn it, I miss my old Falcon, that is a corker right there. cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: riff raff inspired Falcon refurb...it's Steampunk GREEN!   Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:10 pm

I love that color combo, nice work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: riff raff inspired Falcon refurb...it's Steampunk GREEN!   Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Quite attractive!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: riff raff inspired Falcon refurb...it's Steampunk GREEN!   Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Wow! That's awesome! I love the green. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: riff raff inspired Falcon refurb...it's Steampunk GREEN!   Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:02 am

It's easy to do, BB. Just a matter of sandpaper and leather dye, etc. I really like the green on black too. Very elfin.

But Christmas is just around the corner...and you should see how cool RED ON BLACK looks. With a black ebonite stem or 'red tortoiseshell' like on the Oom Paul Scottie made for me...it's really killer. So the goal is to refurb something from my modest group here at the toy factory and have a Santa and Elf group...thing...whatever.

Gotta be festive.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: riff raff inspired Falcon refurb...it's Steampunk GREEN!   Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:07 am

Green is my favorite color and I do love Christmas. I'm curious to see any others you turn out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: riff raff inspired Falcon refurb...it's Steampunk GREEN!   Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:40 am

Well, I'll post 'em here.

And if you want to see past green ones of mine (2) do a search here under my name and the appropriate thread titles should be obvious. Actually, I should re-photo the one I kept as I had Walkers Briar Works make up a new black ebonite stem with their green swirl collar in their Ltd. Ed. Series...an inch plus longer than their standard so it's more like a Bing in length. I made the pipe into a sort of chunky Prince from a kit strummel I was given...half done. The green swirl on the Forever Stem is exactly the same color as the pipe. It does look kinda cool.

I'll try to take a few shots tomorrow and get 'em up.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: riff raff inspired Falcon refurb...it's Steampunk GREEN!   Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:59 pm

It's a St. Pat's day pipe !! You can dedicate it to Peterson 'baccys. Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: riff raff inspired Falcon refurb...it's Steampunk GREEN!   Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Being a greenie lover, I love it Dave! Sure works with the Flacon hardware too.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Bluefisher

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: riff raff inspired Falcon refurb...it's Steampunk GREEN!   Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:42 pm

I saw the post title and thought you were referring to this fellow and was rather concerned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

riff raff inspired Falcon refurb...it's Steampunk GREEN!
Page 1 of 1