HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Just a beginner

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
laffey2000

Registration date : 2013-11-04

PostSubject: Just a beginner   Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:42 am

My father smokes a pipe and for some reason just a few weeks ago I felt compelled to buy one of my own. I bought a Savinelli Autograph four second hand off e-bay for $70. Where do I begin to learn about what makes a good pipe and which brands are the most reliable:?: 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Just a beginner   Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:50 am

Welcome to the BoB. 

Read the threads and check out the layout of the forum...reading past threads will give you a ton of information...asking questions will always get you an answer...might not be right, but you'll get an answer.
For the most part, you will find an outstanding slice of Americana and a great collection of humanity right here.
BoBers are great, generous to a fault, and very compassionate....welcome to the forums.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Just a beginner   Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:15 am

laffey2000 wrote:
My father smokes a pipe and for some reason just a few weeks ago I felt compelled to buy one of my own. I bought a Savinelli Autograph four second hand off e-bay for $70. Where do I begin to learn about what makes a good pipe and which brands are the most reliable:?: 
Well you've gotten off to a GREAT start with an Autograph for your first pipe!! You've started at the top, briar wise so now you need to give some thought to the 'bac you want. There is a good thread here of 'baccy for beginning smokers. Give it a thourough read and jump in! Ya can't smoke without burning some 'bac  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
BTW, welcome to BoB and please, enjoy yourself and ask ANY questions you need. We WILL give you answers Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Just a beginner   Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:23 am

What a great first pipe!

Here is a thread about blends for new smokers. I am not sure what is available in NZ.
http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t19560-suggested-blends-etc-for-newer-pipe-smokers?highlight=beginner+s+blends

Welcome to BoB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Just a beginner   Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:20 am

Welcome sir, And just remember that many a new pipe smoker has given it up just because of bad tobacco, bad packing technique, bad smoking technique, and a bad pipe.
So be patient with it and yourself for Rome wasn't built in a day. The right tobacco can do wonders even for the worst techniques and smokers though. I struggled for a year or two off and on until I found the right tobacco for me. And remember just because one or several say that the tobacco they choose is best doesn't mean it's best for you. Some of our chemistry's can affect how a tobacco is on us also, I can't smoke burley without a tremendous burn but, it may not have any affect on you. I see your smoking OTC's (over the counter) brands right now and there's nothing wrong with those if you enjoy them but, there's a giant world of higher end tobaccos out there that are reasonably priced you might also like to try. Best advice of all is to have fun and enjoy my friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Just a beginner   Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:41 am

Good to meet you, welcome to BoB. cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Just a beginner   Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 am

Cartaphilus wrote:

Welcome sir, And just remember that many a new pipe smoker has given it up just because of bad tobacco, bad packing technique, bad smoking technique, and a bad pipe.
Cart speaks truth. The variety of taste buds out there and just body chem are all over the map. My father smoked Half and Half. I have tried it several times over the years and all I get is sour. I have never finished a pouch. Some of the other OTC blends I can smoke (and have smoked) all day. Back when we could get it in the States, I smoked a lot of Amphora Red, and I see Amphora in your tobacco picks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Just a beginner   Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:04 am

Welcome to the Brotherhood....brother (or sister?)

Take care and stick around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Just a beginner   Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Welcome! A guy above says burley tears up his mouth; many straight Virginias do the same to me. Also, above it says that you have to be patient; though the pipe may be the most elegant past-time of gentlemen, they were all beginners, once. Ask all your questions; guys that have been around the block are quite usually willing to answer them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Just a beginner   Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:40 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
Welcome! A guy above says burley tears up his mouth; many straight Virginias do the same to me. Also, above it says that you have to be patient; though the pipe may be the most elegant past-time of gentlemen, they were all beginners, once. Ask all your questions; guys that have been around the block are quite usually willing to answer them.
The "GUY" eh! Thanks "BUDDY"!Cool 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Just a beginner   Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:32 pm

Welcome to the BoB. Glad to have you on board. Smile 

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Just a beginner   Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Just a beginner   Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:25 am

Welcome aboard. Savinelli is an excellent brand to start with. Sounds like you got a good deal on that Autograph. Happy piping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Just a beginner
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Welcome Wagon-
Jump to: