HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Birthday present to me...from me!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Birthday present to me...from me! Empty
PostSubject: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 9:04 pm

A number of years ago I established the tradition of getting something I want for myself on my birthday. The items I've picked have been sometimes large, sometimes small, sometimes something more for the whole family. It has played out very well.

Often the item has somthing to do with knives. This year is no exception as I picked an item I've been eyeing for a long time.

The Bark River Knives "Essential" arrived at my door just a bit ago, and I have to say it's better than I imagined. VERY comfortable in the hand. The Spalted Maple is far prettier in person, those vertical rays really have a lot of glimmer, just as I'd hoped. And from all that I've read the CPM M4 steel is in a class by itself.

Overall Length: 6.2 in
Blade Length: 2.7 in
Blade Thickness: .141 in
Blade Steel: CPM M4 @ 63-64rc
Weight Without Bolster: 3.6 oz

Handle:  Stabilized Spalted Maple Burl

Grind: Full Convex Grind

Photo:

Birthday present to me...from me! E4nb_spltd_map_309_95_ksf

Birthday present to me...from me! D6bddf10Birthday present to me...from me! 29400910Birthday present to me...from me! 114e6110Birthday present to me...from me! Ddb39b10Birthday present to me...from me! Cf77ce10Birthday present to me...from me! Dd692012
Back to top Go down
Geoff

Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 9:10 pm

"Sometimes a knife is just a knife."

I read that in a piece of Science Fiction recently (Ringo I think.) and thought I'd share. Smile
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Very true. This isn't one of those times though. This M4 is something like four times as wear resistant (read that as edge retention) as well treated A4, which has a very strong reputation in that regard. Should make a really fine EDC piece.

Birthday present to me...from me! D6bddf10Birthday present to me...from me! 29400910Birthday present to me...from me! 114e6110Birthday present to me...from me! Ddb39b10Birthday present to me...from me! Cf77ce10Birthday present to me...from me! Dd692012
Back to top Go down
gravel

gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 9:47 pm

That is quite a looker!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 10:22 pm

Tis a beautiful sight....great belly for clean chopping...beautiful in all regards.  

Great choice.
Back to top Go down
AJ

AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 4:16 am

A beautiful piece of engineering. Almost as good a your own Oregon Raindrop Laughing Its really got some great lines and materials. I'm happy for you. Live long and prosper Dave. Smile 

AJ
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 8:07 am

Beautiful knife BH. I'm not a knife guy but the bolsters are really nicely marbled grain. Wood like that would make some nice pistol grips, with some added fine line checkering of course.
Glad to see that you are being good to yourself, a belated Happy Birthday as well.
cheers 
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 8:41 am

BH - why would you spend that much money on a knife with a very large crack in the handle?  Cool 

lol!
Back to top Go down
Geoff

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 9:56 am

Given my druthers, I much rather have the forged blade and handwork you did than a production knife, regardless of the steel used. I got a relatively cheep set of kitchen knives and my grandfather's stones in an oil bath. Its been two years since I needed them and I used his nice, long steel to maintain them. Keeping an edge is all about how you use or abuse. Grandpa had to resharpen every few weeks but he used them more than most of us do in a decade -- eight to twelve hours a day; six days a week.

But having something you can enjoy is paramount. That is a handsome addition. As an investment, it is probably a better one than your knife made with your attention. That is the sad fact. But, I'd take yours over that any day.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 12:55 pm

With me it's ALL about the steel. The wood is the icing on the cake. Damascus is art steel...CPM Super Steels are for work. I normally carry a Bark River knife on my belt every day, using them for whatever needs doing. Bark River uses a convex edge grind on their knives, and if you have even marginal skills a Convexed edge can be brought back to amazing sharpness with a few strokes on fine abrasive paper followed by the same on a strope. You can't screw up the edge by using the wrong angle. A beautiful system. And since each Barkie (as their fans call them) is hand assembled, finished and ground/sharpened I refer to 'em as 'semi-custom' as opposed to production.

There's only one 'Essential M4' that has the Stabilized Spalted Maple Burl handle slabs...mine. And Rob...I guess I'll just have to live with that nasty crack. lol

If you think that the Maple is nice, you should see the handles on one of my prior EDC Barkies...a little Woodland Special with the nicest Desert Ironwood Burl I've ever seen. And then there's the Rogue Bowie with the Black Box Elder Burl scales...and the Gunny Scandi with Desert Ironwood Burl. Maybe I need to do a photo shoot of these things sometime...THAT'LL put y'all to sleep. lol

Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 1:42 pm

THAT'S one DAMN FINE looking knife!! Wish I had more use for one like that, but my 44 yo Case Delrin sided Trapper will have to do. Happy B'Day cheers
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 2:07 pm

OK...you talked me into it. Here's the older brother:

A Gunny Scandi - CPM 3V - Modified Scandi Grind...convexed edge bevel.
Overall Length: 8.375in
Blade Length: 3.775in
Blade Thickness: .156in
Blade Steel: CPM3V @ 59-60rc
Weight: 5.875 oz

Bushcraft style sheath with Scandi dangler and custom fire steel pinned to a Morta handle.

Birthday present to me...from me! Gs3_des_irnwd_brl_blk_lin_mp_409_95_dlt

Almost mirror to this,but with jumping. I'll try and get some real photos up later...along with the little Essential in its sheath, with the dangler.

In fact, I should do a photo thing just on sheaths. I have three in, recently custom made by Harry Savage, the bushcraft one for the Gunny Scandi, the sweet little piece for the Essential, etc. All very different items. That would be both fun and instructive I'm thinking.

Back to top Go down
anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Registration date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 3:14 pm

I really like the look of those knives :)I may look them up. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a true believer in getting yourself something nice sometimes as well, especially birthdays. It's my way of rewarding myself for all the hard work.
Back to top Go down
CharlG

CharlG

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 7:04 pm

That maple is stunning!
Back to top Go down
http://www.goussardpipes.com/
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 7:16 pm

If you're looking for a Bark River item, for me the two vendors to check out are:

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-knives/?sort=alphaasc

and...

http://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-knives.html

I've done business with both and they treat you well.

Back to top Go down
Geoff

PostSubject: Re: Birthday present to me...from me!   Birthday present to me...from me! EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 8:38 pm

anthonyrosenthal74 wrote:
I'm a true believer in getting yourself something nice sometimes as well, especially birthdays.
Usually beats socks or a tie, eh Anthony? Smile
Back to top Go down

Birthday present to me...from me!
Page 1 of 1