HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A couple new ones.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Crafty

Registration date : 2013-09-06

A couple new ones.  Empty
PostSubject: A couple new ones.    A couple new ones.  EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 12:14 pm

Well, this is what happens when the wife goes visiting friends and leaves me alone for a couple days!  Very Happy  I am still having some issues getting the fit and finish on the stems correct but practice make perfect.

#1 was a small briar but good grain, some nice plateau and wanted to show it. I wasn't happy with the stem work but once wood is gone it's hard to glue sawdust back on!! LOL

A couple new ones.  Img_0137

A couple new ones.  Img_0138

A couple new ones.  Img_0139

#2 Was just fun to make. You can't really see it in these pictures but the pipe balances on the bottom of the "egg" with no stem contacting the surface.

A couple new ones.  Img_0140

A couple new ones.  Img_0141

A couple new ones.  Img_0142

Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A couple new ones.    A couple new ones.  EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Really like #2 there Crafty. Kind of a canted egg, isn't it?

Cheers,

RR

A couple new ones.  Purple11x 3A couple new ones.  Bombx10A couple new ones.  Bombx10  A couple new ones.  D6bddf10 A couple new ones.  44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d A couple new ones.  Cowboy13A couple new ones.  4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: A couple new ones.    A couple new ones.  EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 1:52 pm

Very nice Bud, the joint at the stem and shank can cause trouble if you do any work in that area with the stem detached, this includes buffing, you'll get a much smoother snugger fit if you keep the pipe intact at all times. If the odd occasion arises where you must remove the stem then pay special attention to ensuring the edges of the joint on the shank and the stem never get any abuse.

Sometimes of course it just seems impossible to get a perfect snug fit, happens sometimes and I have no idea why, every now and then the heating of the stem with a heatgun for bending can cause problems especially with acrylic stems, it's an area I am still having problems with I must say.

You're doing exceedingly well chap, keep 'em coming.  cheers sunny 
Back to top Go down
Crafty

Registration date : 2013-09-06

PostSubject: Re: A couple new ones.    A couple new ones.  EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks for the tip, I had been removing the stem when buffing. Makes sense no that you point it out /face palm! Will keep all of it together on my next 1. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
millerman

millerman

Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: A couple new ones.    A couple new ones.  EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Nice work. Love the plateau. Merry Christmas.
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: A couple new ones.    A couple new ones.  EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 8:35 pm

Both are quite nice!
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: A couple new ones.    A couple new ones.  EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 5:14 am

Crafty wrote:
Thanks for the tip, I had been removing the stem when buffing. Makes sense no that you point it out /face palm! Will keep all of it together on my next 1. Thanks again.

No worries Bud, a mistake we all make in the beginning, wait when you see the results of keeping the stem attached when you work on the join, you're going to love the results.  sunny 
Back to top Go down

A couple new ones.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: