HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:02 pm

I just got an order from Smoking pipes.com and I noticed on the invoice that I was charged sales tax. I sent them an email quizzing them about it and I was told that since they merged with Cordell and Diehl, they now have to charge sales tax when shipping to NC.

It's not the tobaccopocolypse but it is something to consider if you reside in the old North state. It makes me sad since they were my go to E-tailer. Their customer service is top notch but adding 7% to the each bill will probably drive me somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:34 pm

While that sucks, 7% is not a deal breaker. To me at least.

Could've been far worse.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:40 pm

I find more and more of this happening when you purchase something online within the state you reside. I reckon it aint too bad but, I try to purchase outside my state to avoid it. Besides, it doesn't seem to get to me any quicker or be cheaper shipping when ordering in my state.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:41 pm

H'mm, they had been one of my two main suppliers; I'll have to take that extra 7% into consideration when making orders
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Guess I missed the merger news!!! C&D and SP have merged? Or did one buy the other? And...When did this happen? Thanx in advance, FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:37 pm

ftrplt wrote:
Guess I missed the merger news!!! C&D and SP have merged? Or did one buy the other? And...When did this happen? Thanx in advance, FTRPLT

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t25876-interesting-news

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:15 pm

Isn't SP already in NC? (and if so, they should have been charging sales tax anyway, right?) Personally I'm not sure that I'd want to pay both sales tax and shipping. In fact, no, I wouldn't. (too many places to chose from that wouldn't charge a sales tax.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:41 pm

As far as I know, most retailers Have to charge sales tax to customers who live in the states they have B&M's in. An example is , when I order something from the Cabelas's sporting goods catalog, because they have B&M's in Texas, I have to pay Texas sales tax on my order. This will become more prevelant in more states as time goes on. Get used to it  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Last edited by monbla256 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:43 pm

Quote :
Isn't SP already in NC? (and if so, they should have been charging sales tax anyway, right?) Personally I'm not sure that I'd want to pay both sales tax and shipping. In fact, no, I wouldn't. (too many places to chose from that wouldn't charge a sales tax.)

Their offices and B&M location is in Myrtle beach SC.

I'm with you on the shipping and taxes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:55 pm

Ah,SC.

I read something the other day about the South, and it read the only thing good about the North, was North Carolina....

swhipple wrote:
Quote :

Their offices and B&M location is in Myrtle beach SC.

I'm with you on the shipping and taxes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:29 am

Brewdude wrote:
ftrplt wrote:

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t25876-interesting-news

Cheers,

RR

Was "out and about" during this time (Dec 5). Missed this. Thank you kindly for the info!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:07 am

Here's why, since C&D and SP merged they have some retail and sales in NC as this is  C&D's address:  
Cornell & Diehl, Inc.
P.O. Box 475
Morganton NC, 28680
The tax man SHALL BE PAID   Evil or Very Mad   Evil or Very Mad   Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:35 am

riff raff wrote:
Isn't SP already in NC?  (and if so, they should have been charging sales tax anyway, right?)  Personally I'm not sure that I'd want to pay both sales tax and shipping.  In fact, no, I wouldn't.  (too many places to chose from that wouldn't charge a sales tax.)

Even with the sales tax, they could at times be cheaper than other places. It just makes comparative shopping a bit tougher
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:56 am

I always take advantage of the free shipping offer.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:06 pm

Carlos wrote:
I always take advantage of the free shipping offer.

+1

All my tobacco orders ship free, except the occasional proprietary blends I can only get from the source (P&W, Peretti, Uhle, McCranie, etc.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:45 pm

7%??? Hell, you should see what we have to pay in New York! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:56 pm

Yeah, no big deal. If the vendor is in one's home state,we all pay the state sales tax -- sorry, suck it up  Cool 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:54 pm

DoverPipes wrote:
7%??? Hell, you should see what we have to pay in New York! affraid

We pay 8 3/4% up here in the DFW Metroplex !! The tax man shall get his  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  Now ya know why the Brits smoke grp 1 and 2 sized pipes so much !!  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:52 pm

I have been pretty critical of Laudisi over on pipesmagazine.com forum but they are really just adhering to the law. It's hard to be peeved about that.
Anyway, I may be unique as I always pay my PA Sales tax for out-of-state mail order/internet purchases with my tax returns. Avoiding a tax is one thing; evading is quite another.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC   Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:28 am

Well get ready for Amazon to start charging NC sales tax too! They don't even have a presence in the state either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io

Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1