HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

SG Navy Flake question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sonpuff

Registration date : 2013-11-23

PostSubject: SG Navy Flake question   Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Just curious.....what do you suppose is the percentage of Latakia used in Samuel Gawith Navy Flake? It's difficult for me to tell just by looking at the flakes.
I love this blend and my friend who also loves Latakia was just wondering if anyone had an idea.
Not that it really matters.....but just curious for conversation sake.
Sonpuff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: SG Navy Flake question   Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:06 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: SG Navy Flake question   Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:13 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I believe it's 15%.

https://www.iwanries.com/samuel-gawith-navy-flake-50g-P2555C319.cfm

And there ya go!

Actually I've wondered about this myself. Now I know. Thanks D&B.

Smile 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: SG Navy Flake question   Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:24 pm

You're welcome. I wondered the same thing myself a ways back, mostly just to get an idea of what Latakia tasted like in various percentages. To me it's very faint in SG Navy Flake 15%, and fainter still in G&H Bob's Chocolate 8%. Iwan Reis is one of the few sites that seems to list descriptions that are sometimes outside of the realm of those provided by the blending house. I like them for that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: SG Navy Flake question   Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:30 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
You're welcome. I wondered the same thing myself a ways back, mostly just to get an idea of what Latakia tasted like in various percentages. To me it's very faint in SG Navy Flake 15%, and fainter still in G&H Bob's Chocolate 8%.  Iwan Reis is one of the few sites that seems to list descriptions that are sometimes outside of the realm of those provided by the blending house. I like them for that.

My thoughts as well bro. Like it a lot!

cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: SG Navy Flake question   Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:40 pm

hey what dya hear what dya say!

I been smokin some Bothy Flake and I really like it. I also really like Chocolate Flake and I do like the taste of Squadron Leader very very much, but it's just not strong enough for me to smoke and enjoy it. I've never had Navy Flake or Balkan Flake but I am thinking of getting some. Do you guys think I would like them? I they similar to Bothy Flake or Chocolate Flake? I have a hard time of judging blends from their reviews. What are Navy and Balkan flake? Flavor, Strength, Kick?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: SG Navy Flake question   Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:14 am

Flavor & strength, I'd rate them both as a firm medium. I like Navy Flake a tiny bit better than Balkan. Navy is better suited for casual/whenever smoking as Balkan tastes a bit stronger. I find Navy to be quite spicy and a bit more interesting to smoke but the latakia is very subdued. Balkan is quite mellow & has noticeably more latakia. It smokes very smooth, with a smoky  sweet/sour taste. A very good smoke & it's also spicy but not as much so as Navy Flake. I think both of these flakes have a richer & bolder flavor than Squadron Leader, so I think you're safe there. Either way, I don't think you can do wrong.

I agree with you, the Chocolate Flake is good. I heard an interview with Bob Gregory who said that Chocolate Flake and St James Flake are derived from FVF.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: SG Navy Flake question   Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks Drum, have you smoked Bothy Flake? I'm really liking it. It has a whiskey topping which I suppose adds to the complexity. I'm wondering if Navy Flake is kind of similar to Bothy. If you've tried it what do you think? If not, you might like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: SG Navy Flake question   Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:35 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
Thanks Drum, have you smoked Bothy Flake?

Not as of yet. I have a tin of Bothy Flake to try but I haven't opened it. Been wanting to but I am smoking through some of my open jars and tins at the moment.  

I tend to enjoy Sam Gawith flakes quite a bit, so I am sure Bothy Flake will be no exception.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: SG Navy Flake question   Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:18 pm

Crack that bothy flake on a rainy day, you will really like it. It doesn't need aging or anything it's really good and I am not even a usual latakia smoker
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: SG Navy Flake question   Wed May 04, 2016 8:14 pm

I've really been liking Bothy Flake a lot...and Navy Flake is good but it just isn't as great as Bothy Flake. It's pretty boring compared to Bothy Flake, Bothy has become one of my favorite tobaccos. Why is it so much better than Navy Flake? Maybe it's the topping? It has kind of Peanut Buttery flavor to me but it's so good! wish they made 250 g boxes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: SG Navy Flake question   Wed May 04, 2016 10:07 pm

Peanut buttery? Hmmm.  I'll have to dig up that tin and give it a whirl before the weather gets too hot. I don't smoke much Latakia once it does.

I like Navy Flake because the Latakia is just barely there, perfectly balanced against the subtle sweetness of those wonderful SG VA's. Sweet, smoky and a hint of flavor from the rum which I can taste throughout the bowl.

There are few Latakia blends that I enjoy much anymore. I haven't lost my taste for it, I just tend to prefer it in lower percentages.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: SG Navy Flake question   Thu May 05, 2016 1:35 am

Usually I like to smoke Canon Plug on a rainy day or Grousemoor or a Vaper but Bothy flake is really good when it's raining
Back to top Go down
View user profile

SG Navy Flake question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1