HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

James Upshall Bark (Unsmoked) Stem Restored

Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: James Upshall Bark (Unsmoked) Stem Restored   Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:22 pm

As you are aware, I'm a pretty big James Upshall fan. This is my 8th Upshall but the first Bark finish and unsmoked (NOS) pipe.  The Ebay pictures were horrible, but the seller took returns, so I threw the dice.  The stem wasn't too difficult to restore, but working around the logo was an exercise in patience.  I detailed the process here:

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2014/01/18/15906/

Here's some before and after shots:

The stem work is very much to my liking and I love the Bark finish. I'm off to the workshop to break this one in!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
herbinedave

Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall Bark (Unsmoked) Stem Restored   Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:37 pm

Looking good Al! Enjoy the smoke! cheers cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall Bark (Unsmoked) Stem Restored   Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:25 pm

Wow, what a great first smoke! I loaded up a bowl of MM965. Smooth, mellow and a great draw (this baby is drilled perfectly). I love the tactile feel of the Bark finish. I occasionally hear about guys who hate breaking in a new pipe, but if they are all like this, I'm a fan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall Bark (Unsmoked) Stem Restored   Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:26 pm

Congratulations! That's a fine looking pipe to be sure. That bark finish is too sweet. I love a great rustication or blast and this is one of the better ones for sure. Glad to hear she smokes as good as she looks.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall Bark (Unsmoked) Stem Restored   Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:55 pm

I LOOOVE blasted pipes and that "tanshell" finish is my favorite ! NICE,NICE, NICE !  Smile Smile Smoke it regularly and in a few decades it will color nicely  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall Bark (Unsmoked) Stem Restored   Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Oh Magoo, you've done it again!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: James Upshall Bark (Unsmoked) Stem Restored   Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:50 pm

WOW...That is just gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: James Upshall Bark (Unsmoked) Stem Restored   Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:07 pm

Thanks guys. I was always more fond of blasts than rusticated pipes, so I wasn't sure I'd take a hankering to this one. I figured I could get my money back on it, if I didn't like it. But, she's staying on my rack for sure.

Curiously, Upshall lists a slightly higher price for the Bark finish versus their blasts. I guess Barry Jones doesn't like using the blasting equipment?

An estate pipe vendor I follow has a blasted Upshall listed and in the description he states the red JU stem logo indicates an earlier pipe, for what that's worth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

James Upshall Bark (Unsmoked) Stem Restored
Page 1 of 1