HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco Empty
PostSubject: Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco   Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 3:11 pm

Has anyone done this? My thoughts are that the leaf might be cheaper and give you more control over the process; you could make your own flakes and plugs. I'd love to try it when I have the money, but would appreciate any feedback or tips first.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco   Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 4:46 pm

Thomas Tkach wrote:
Has anyone done this? My thoughts are that the leaf might be cheaper and give you more control over the process; you could make your own flakes and plugs. I'd love to try it when I have the money, but would appreciate any feedback or tips first.

Are you referring to the tobacco as it is harvested in the field BEFORE it is processed for sale? Remember, raw, unprocessed tobacco as it comes directly from the field is almost impossible to smoke without some form of second handling processes. ALL tobaccos used in ANY tobacco product are cured, cased and processesd in some form BEFORE they are made into the final item whether it's cigs, cigars, snuff or pipe tobacco.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco   Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:09 pm

Monbla hit the nail on the head. I grew, harvested, cured and processed my own tobacco several years. Although it was a great experience and I learned a lot about the process going from seed to tin I have to say what I came away with is a great appreciation for the quality product blenders offer. It's a complicated dance transforming raw leaf to a great blend but if you want to play without the grow/harvest/kiln complication you can pick up some cheap cured leaf and case/top/blend to your hearts content.

http://www.leafonly.com/tobacco_leaf_applications.php?tobacco_leaf_type=pipe

It's a worthwhile adventure.

Back to top Go down
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

PostSubject: Re: Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco   Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 9:20 am

I saw that website and was thinking of using the tobacco they sell--cured, but nothing else. I'd look into doing the rest. If it's something that wouldn't achieve decent results, I wouldn't want to do it. How successful do you think one could be using pre-cured leaf? FYI, I'm an avid homebrewer, so I like getting into things like this, but tobacco casing/blending may be too much more difficult to do.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco   Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 10:06 am

The leaf they sell is good quality ( the hard work has been done for you ) and fine for finishing up into smokable tobacco.

All you need to do is strip the veins, slice into whatever cut you prefer, case or top (or both), blend or not, and age.

Moisture is key, as is the strength of what you apply.

I bought some virginia leaf from them when I started (to experiment on before I invested in the whole grow/process expense) and had pretty good results. The leaves arrive dry and somewhat crumbly so you'll want to spritz them lightly before handling,,,in a few minutes they become pliable.

It's doable and enjoyable,,,I recommend it.
Back to top Go down
DoverPipes

DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco   Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 11:09 pm

mark wrote:
Monbla hit the nail on the head. I grew, harvested, cured and processed my own tobacco several years. Although it was a great experience and I learned a lot about the process going from seed to tin I have to say what I came away with is a great appreciation for the quality product blenders offer. It's a complicated dance transforming raw leaf to a great blend but if you want to play without the grow/harvest/kiln complication you can pick up some cheap cured leaf and case/top/blend to your hearts content.

http://www.leafonly.com/tobacco_leaf_applications.php?tobacco_leaf_type=pipe

It's a worthwhile adventure.

Mark sent me some wonderful leaf a couple of years ago that I used in a couple of blends that I in turn, gifted to other Brothers. I still have a bit of that wonderful / smoky leaf jarred up waiting for my next "mad scientist project" Twisted Evil 

If this leaf is the same, I would say GO FOR IT!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

PostSubject: Re: Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco   Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 pm

It will be a while before I can get to it, but this is something I think I will pursue in the future. If I could only make my own pipes, blend my own tobacco, and make my own beer, I'd be set!
Back to top Go down
DoverPipes

DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco   Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 11:16 pm

Thomas Tkach wrote:
It will be a while before I can get to it, but this is something I think I will pursue in the future. If I could only make my own pipes, blend my own tobacco, and make my own beer, I'd be set!

You forgot to add: Reload your own ammo!!!! Razz 
Back to top Go down
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

PostSubject: Re: Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco   Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 11:28 pm

I don't even have a gun. I may have to get one when I have a job after I finish school.
Back to top Go down

Blending from Whole Leaf tobacco
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: