Some Recent Morta Pipes

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
taharris

taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

Some Recent Morta Pipes Empty
PostSubject: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 10:21 pm

Morta pipes have received a lot of attention recently, and for good reason.

It is a fantastic experience to hold something in your hand that you know was alive 4 to 6 thousand years ago!  Also, Morta is lighter than Briar and tends to smoke dry.  It is a wonderful material for pipe making.

For any who don't know, Morta, or Bog Oak, is Oak that has been soaking anaerobically in a peat bog for several thousand years and is in the first stages of fossilization.  The Oak takes on the black color of the bog mud.  The older the Morta is the more completely black it becomes.

Here are some of my recent Morta pipes that I am particularly proud of:

Celtic Morta Dublin:
Some Recent Morta Pipes 142040

A couple of Morta Canadians:
Some Recent Morta Pipes 173956
Some Recent Morta Pipes 225618

And a fat Morta Author with Sterling Silver and Ivory:
Some Recent Morta Pipes 193420

Todd
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 10:32 pm

Love my Celtic Morta Dublin and can't wait to get the Author!

Great working with you, Todd -- and thanks for posting!  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 10:49 pm

Very nice job on all those, Todd. I love those classic shapes!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jonespipes.com
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 11:00 pm

These are great! Nice job.
Back to top Go down
cajun

cajun

Registration date : 2013-11-19

PostSubject: Morta   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 11:13 pm

That long Canadian is mine and it is one of my best pipes, I have 2 Becker Mortas and Todd's surpasses them, I really am enjoying his pipe,
Back to top Go down
cajun

cajun

Registration date : 2013-11-19

PostSubject: Morta   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 11:23 pm

[img]Some Recent Morta Pipes 876D25F2-2E49-43D9-8A73-DF26ECCED893-12068-00001B0E60418E69_zps20e6919f[/img] The day I got it I smoked it on my old porch.
Back to top Go down
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 11:34 pm

That Arthur is a an awesome looking pipe. Nice work on them all.
Back to top Go down
allyby

allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 5:32 am

cajun wrote:
That long Canadian is mine and it is one of my best pipes, I have 2 Becker Mortas and Todd's surpasses them, I really am enjoying his pipe,

I now have pipe envy. Shocked 
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 9:50 am

Love those Canadians....those morta pipes are stunning.  Todd strikes again.
Back to top Go down
holymolar

holymolar

Registration date : 2014-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 10:50 am

I really like the first Canadian. May have to order one.
Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 12:26 pm

Thanks!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Coastie3202

Coastie3202

Registration date : 2014-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Someday, someday.  Beautiful pipes taharris, as always.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Great looking pipes Todd. I'll have to add a Morta to my stable soon.

Cheers,

RR

Some Recent Morta Pipes Purple11x 2Some Recent Morta Pipes Bombx10  Some Recent Morta Pipes Bombx7Some Recent Morta Pipes D6bddf10 Some Recent Morta Pipes 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 10:54 pm

I really like the paneled one! I probably wouldn't like that stem material on any other pipe, but I think it really works here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 11:34 am

Todd those are stunning pipes!

Jim
Back to top Go down
ericpierson

ericpierson

Registration date : 2014-02-05

PostSubject: Davorin Denovic Smooth Bent Tulip - My Christmas Gift fr me   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 12:38 pm

Some Recent Morta Pipes Img_0814
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 2:54 pm

I've got two ta Harris pipes... one is a mini Dub Morta with both nosewarmer and warden stems, a sweet performer...and the other is an Oom Paul that smokes so perfectly it always vies for the top spot in my rotation.

Anyone that owns a taHarris pipe is lucky indeed!

Some Recent Morta Pipes D6bddf10Some Recent Morta Pipes 29400910Some Recent Morta Pipes 114e6110Some Recent Morta Pipes Ddb39b10Some Recent Morta Pipes Cf77ce10Some Recent Morta Pipes Dd692012
Back to top Go down
rekamepip

Registration date : 2013-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Some Recent Morta Pipes 225618

Very Nice !!!
Back to top Go down
ExcessEnergy

ExcessEnergy

Registration date : 2014-01-25

PostSubject: Morta Canadian   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Love those Canadians, which is why I have so many. I only just noticed morta pipes a short time ago. What is the deal with them, and why are they considered especially desirable?
Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 7:07 pm

ExcessEnergy wrote:
Love those Canadians, which is why I have so many.  I only just noticed morta pipes a short time ago.  What is the deal with them, and why are they considered especially desirable?

Morta is Oak that has been soaking in a peat bog for several thousand years and has begun the process of fossilization. The tannins in the bog have been adsorbed into the wood turning it black. The longer the wood has soaked in the bog the more black it becomes. After about 4,000 years the wood is completely black.

Morta (or Bog Oak) tends to be lighter than Briar, smoke dry and imparts little to no flavor to the tobacco.

But, honestly the best thing about Morta is knowing that you are smoking from a piece of a tree that lived so long ago.

Todd
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 10:13 pm

I learned something today.
4000 year old oak gees, I don't even have a pair boots that old.
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
ExcessEnergy

ExcessEnergy

Registration date : 2014-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 10:24 pm

taharris wrote:

Morta is Oak that has been soaking in a peat bog for several thousand years and has begun the process of fossilization.  The tannins in the bog have been adsorbed into the wood turning it black.  The longer the wood has soaked in the bog the more black it becomes.  After about 4,000 years the wood is completely black.

Morta (or Bog Oak) tends to be lighter than Briar, smoke dry and imparts little to no flavor to the tobacco.

But, honestly the best thing about Morta is knowing that you are smoking from a piece of a tree that lived so long ago.

Todd

Okay, so, as I understand it, Morta is supposed to smoke dryer than briar (sounds like a slogan), but is more vulnerable to damage than briar, although not as much as meerschaum, is a whole lot rarer than either, takes more work to obtain in the proper condition and volume for pipe carving and is therefore more expensive than an otherwise equivalent briar pipe?  But it smokes a little better and is simply cool because it's like smoking out of a fossil, er, almost.  Well, I have to say that the pipes shown on here and some of the Morta pipe carver sites I found after reading your post sure look beautiful, but I am wondering if the premium charged for Morta is really worth it.  I guess the only way to be sure is to buy one and see.  Toward that end, I bid on a couple on eBay today.  The price of one just zoomed above my pain threshold, but maybe the other one will stay closer to my tolerance level.

I've been smoking pipes for 48 years and never heard of the things until signing on here.  Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 3:44 am

Stunning pipes Todd, that Celtic Dublin rings all the bells and whistles, marvellous work.

Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 9:09 am

Briar Spirit wrote:
Stunning pipes Todd, that Celtic Dublin rings all the bells and whistles, marvellous work.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
danindayton

danindayton

Registration date : 2012-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Some Recent Morta Pipes   Some Recent Morta Pipes EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 10:34 am

bounce I am waiting semipatiently for my Taharris morta.  Todds beautiful work here prompted me to order a devil anse morta.  

Todd has been superlative to work with and I hope to see him at Smokers Haven in March.

danindayton
ilurkalot
Back to top Go down

Some Recent Morta Pipes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next