HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:06 pm

I'm sorry for your loss and suffering, but remember, everything happens for a reason.

YOU CAN SOLVE ALL THE DEBATES ABOUT WHICH BLENDS CONTAIN LATAKIA! You are God's gift to the piping community!

From C&D, try Boker Or (morning light) and Oriental Silk as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:13 pm

monbla256 wrote:
One of the FINEST NO LATAKIA Oriental blends is Tashkent made by L.J. Peretti up in Boston. They are some funky folks to deal with (no inter web orders, only over the phone) but this blend is WELL WORTH the effort !!  Twisted Evil 

Actually Tashkent is a Latakia/oriental mixture (it contains no Virginia). I have smoked it many times and there is definitely plenty of Latakia there. Tobaccoreviews as well as Peretti's website confirms this. Just sayin...

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:09 am

D&B, if you crack those McClelland syrian tins and they don't workout for you I probably have something in my cellar to trade out with you for them.

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:20 pm

Thomas, thanks for the recommendations. Price point is nice too.

Scott - Yeah, I was on Peretti's site yesterday and I saw that Latakia, was listed in the ingredients for Tashkent. The Oriental #40 still looks promising.

PD - I'll keep the trade option in mind. I might have a few more tins of McClelland flavors with Syrian as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:22 pm

I justfound a sample one of the bros sent me a while back. C&D Guilford Courthouse....

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2764/cornell-diehl-927-guilford-courthouse

Not bad (I'm smoking a bowl now)- more to the Oriental side than Virginia.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Cornell & Diehl Guilford Courthouse appears to have a similar composition to the Low Country Waccamaw, and IIRC, both blends are made by C&D.

However, comparing the two, the reviews on TR are quite dissimilar, with the Guilford Courthouse having a 2.1 average (in 15 reviews) and the Waccamaw boasting a much higher 3.5 (in 22 reviews).

I also noticed that the OP posted his own review of the former blend and gave it 3 stars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:33 pm

I do enjoy Guilford Courthouse. Thanks to mejoshee, I have a bit more GC to smoke and a tin of the Flake version to try. The Courthouse is quite Turk forward. I think the negative ratings might have something to do with this. Folks wanting a sweeter VA that's slightly tweaked by an Oriental component (ala Embarcadero) were probably disappointed.  

I have been digging through notes on a variety of tinned tobaccos looking for some mixtures that haven't already been mentioned -

Robert McConnell - Scottish Flake (contains Turk)
James J Fox - Campanile
Butera - Blended Flake

I have had Scottish Flake, it was quite nice.

Anyone tried the other two?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
rothnh

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:49 pm

The Robert McConnell Scottish Flake sounds interesting -- I'll put it on my bucket list -- thanks.

I have smoked a tin of the Robert McConnell Scottish Cake (Kentucky, Perique, Virginia) and posted my review of that blend on TR. I enjoyed it a lot (4 stars), but the Scottish Cake (a Va/Per) has no orientals in the blend.

I did mention the C&D Turkish Izmir sold in bulk -- it's nice to have on hand to mix a bit of it, to taste, with various virginias.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:16 pm

One other I found is Brigham's - Maritime Mixture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
rothnh

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:52 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
One other I found is Brigham's - Maritime Mixture.

I finished a tin of Brigham Maritime Morning recently --and reviewed it here in December:

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t26052-brigham-maritime-morning-a-review?highlight=Maritime+Morning

Please note: There is a bit of latakia in this blend.

I liked it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:16 pm

Thanks, & nice review. Sounds like a great blend. I haven't had a bad R.L. Will blend. For now I'll pass on picking any up due to the Latakia, although I am sure I could get away with a touch and not suffer any ill effects from it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
femur

Registration date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:17 pm

John Patton's Crossroads is quite good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:40 pm

DrT999 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
DrumsAndBeer wrote:
To make a long story short, after extensive allergy tests it was revealed to me that I am quite allergic to cedar.  Mad  So much so, that after an intradermal injection a tiny welt about 3mm across eventually became a golf ball sized splotch, and ultimately my entirely forearm blew up and was itching and tingling terribly for 3 days after the test.

This explains some of the wheezing fits that I have had after smoking some of my favorite Latakia blends. Depressing for sure, but I am still quite of fond of complex fragrant Oriental tobacco mixtures. Since it seems that Latakia is off the table, I am looking for Oriental forward blends that don't contain it. One may say, "Dude search Tobacco Reviews," but I know there are quite a few mixtures out there where the blender just lumps Latakia in with the the term Oriental, mixtures like Red Rapparee, EMP, etc. So I turn to you guys & gals.

What's your recommendation for Oriental Mixtures that for sure have no Lat?

So far I have McClelland Drama Reserve, GLP Cairo, and JP Oriental Dusk.

Thanks.... Very Happy

D,
After re-reading your OP I have to ask the question, what does an allergy to cedar have to do with Latakia? It botanically has no connection to tobacco and the process of smoking the leaves of this variety is to smoke it over dung fires so I'm trying to connect the two.  Question 

I believe the dung is a myth, rather the tobacco is smoked over burning resinous branches/leaves, which might be similar to cedar

I am under the impression that real Syrian was prepared over oak smoke while Cyprian over pine, which may be the source of the "cedar" effect here. Today however it is hard to tell as a lot of the Syrian used is made on Cyprus, presumably using the Syrian base stock and not the Izmir that Cyprian uses. The curing fire question, hence, remains - which wood is used to smoke the tobacco?.
Sorry if this doesn't help.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Aristokles wrote:

I am under the impression that real Syrian was prepared over oak smoke while Cyprian over pine, which may be the source of the "cedar" effect here. Today however it is hard to tell as a lot of the Syrian used is made on Cyprus, presumably using the Syrian base stock and not the Izmir that Cyprian uses. The curing fire question, hence, remains - which wood is used to smoke the tobacco?.
Sorry if this doesn't help.

The only web based "diddy" that I was able to find that gives any info whatsoever on the the types of wood used in the curing process of Latakia is here - http://www.leffingwell.com/download/latakia2013.pdf

I have no clue as to the validity of the info but for those that don't want to read through the bulk of it, the info on Cyprian Latakia reads  -  

"It has been reported that the Mastic shrub (Pistacia lentiscus) is primarily used in the
smoke generation for Cyprian Latakia tobacco (15). The following formula, based on
this report, may approximate the shrubs and woods used for the smoke-curing process.

Mastic (Pistacia lentiscus) 90%
Myrtle - Myrtus communis 4%
Cypress - Cupressus sempervirens 4%
Stone Pine (Pinus pinea or Pinus pinaster) 4%
Other 1% "

Prior to that, Syrian  "is reputed to have been smoke cured primarily by burning the
green leafy branches and twigs of the Allepo pine (Pinus halepensis) and Oak (Quercus
species), along with lesser amounts of other aromatic species [e.g. Lebanon cedar
(Cedrus libani), and Juniperus excelsa]. "

Once again, I have no idea how valid this info is, or if it's still applies to product that is currently available in mixtures produced today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
SailorJack

Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:16 pm

I would second C&D's Boker Or from their Hebraic Series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:49 pm

SailorJack wrote:
I would second C&D's Boker Or from their Hebraic Series.

Or Olam is also very nice. As is John Patton's Crossroads.

No Lat in any of them, and the other Orientals really sing.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Fri May 20, 2016 8:54 pm

What does anybody know about McCelland's 2050?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia   Sat May 21, 2016 7:32 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
What does anybody know about McCelland's 2050?

I tried some a while back. It's got a black cavendish component that has some sweetness to it. It was just OK, probably wouldn't buy it again. The first few bowls were interesting enough, it's not bad, rather light, a little nippy on the tongue, an intentional crossover blend (an oriental for the aromatic lover). The orientals were not strong like you'd get from a Dunhill London Mixture, they were soft, mild, and the main flavor note was the end result of the mixing of the black cav with them.

Ram2711

Registration date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Oriental #40   Sun May 22, 2016 12:01 am

Oriental #40 is the best no Latakia oriental blend I have ever smoked. It is fantastic. I took me several years of pipe smoking before I tried any Peretti blend which was a huge mistake since they are among the best available imho.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Recommendations for Oriental Mixtures with no Latakia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2