HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
holymolar

Registration date : 2014-01-31

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:22 pm

The only time that I clench is when fishing (or typing like right now). I hadn't noticed if I salivate and swallow often while clenching until now. I guess I do too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:54 pm

It depends how high the roller coaster climbs and drops!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Thomas Tkach wrote:
Hawker wrote:
90% of the pipes I smoke most often are are bents that fit and rest properly on my chin to take away the weight of the pipe to make clenching quite easy. Don't really need to clench the pipe as those that have a large enough lip on the button that I like hook onto the back edge of my bottom teeth so there is no need to actually bite the stem at all. Most of my pipe smoking is done at my workbench where I work with both hands free and if I couldn't clench I probably would smoke alot less as there wouldn't be time for it.
As for the St. Bernard drool I guess I now consider myself lucky as I've never had a problem with it or thought about it before reading this post.

Not even the Oom Paul I have rests on my chin. Maybe I clench too far to the end of the stem, or maybe I just don't have the right pipes. Do you mind posting pics of a few of yours?

Clenchers, where do you bite on the stem--way towards the end or do you ever 'choke up' a bit on the bit?
I don't bite the stem at all 11 of the below pipes just hang there even if my top lip is off the stem.It's the bottom of the lip on the pipe that holds them in place.

Here's a pic of my 14 day rotaion or my most smoked pipes. Of the 14 all have a big enough lip on the bottom button to hang on the edge of my teeth exept the Tinsky, Ropp & the P-Lip. They need slight pressure from from above to be held in place either with lip or teeth. This only works on my right side as I can't hold them as well while working if I try the left, just the way my teeth line up I guess. Usually if I don't like they way a pipe hangs I rebend them. Probably 1/2 the pipes in the photo have been tweeked to fit the way I like them to.
The Polinskis & the Old Pete just fit perfectly the way I got them. I find that most pipes have to long of shank for my liking for this to work.

My rotaion is probably going to see alot less use as we just finished watching my father in law suffocate to death on the 8th. Watching him go thru the final stages of COPD allready made me quit inhailing and since his passing I've not had the urge to smoke near as often.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:02 pm

gravel wrote:
It depends how high the roller coaster climbs and drops!

Gravel, we're talking about clenching with your teeth............Not your cheeks (_l_)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:37 pm

As so much in our hobby, as to clenching, it depends. Depends mostly on what I am doing and where.

As for clamping down hard on the stem, I don't do that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:11 am

Went for ride in my sons truck tonight and he had a couple of his pipes in there. Sent shivers up my spine when I seen how he's chewed the shit out of one of them. Told him if he ever treats my pipes like that when he gets them when I'm gone I'll come back from the grave to haunt him. lol! lol! Now I see where some of the previous posts are coming from.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokey-smokey

Registration date : 2014-02-03

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:54 am

Full time clencher here.
Why?
It's more comfortable (to me)
Allows me to better enjoy the aroma of what I'm smoking (yes, I like the smoke on my face)
I do other things while I smoke
I don't clench hard enough to do any real damage.

LAst, and by no means least: When I die those pipes are, at some point, going to end up in someone's "estate collection," long after I'm gone. So the only thing that matters to me is the enjoyment I get from the pipes, whether a corn cob or a 400 dollar art piece. Yeah, selfish, but who do you smoke for?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:25 am

Yep, I 'clench' -- the tobacco goes in the pipe, the stem goes in my mouth, and I smoke it. No reason to take it out, no need to relight very often. Your preferences may vary. I don't chew on the stem, and after nearly 25 years of constant use for some of the pipes, while many of the older ones have some marks, none are close to being bitten through.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:58 am

DrT999 wrote:
Yep, I 'clench' -- the tobacco goes in the pipe, the stem goes in my mouth, and I smoke it.  

What a concept! I'll have to try that........  
No wonder mine keep going out. 5) 
Back to top Go down
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:34 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
Yep, I 'clench' -- the tobacco goes in the pipe, the stem goes in my mouth, and I smoke it.  

Some people light their pipe, take a puff, and then wave it around while talking for 5 minutes and then look amazed when the pipe isn't still lit when they take the next puff.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:39 am

DrT999 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
DrT999 wrote:

Some people light their pipe, take a puff, and then wave it around while talking for 5 minutes and then look amazed when the pipe isn't still lit when they take the next puff.

OH MAN!!! So THAT'S what I'm doing wrong !! After all these years of trying to figure out why I had to re-light I now know what's wrong !!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 5) 5) 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:50 am

Maybe I need a new thread, but how do you clenchers clench?

Front of the mouth on the end of the stem with teeth perpendicular to stem?

End of the stem further back toward the molars with stem closer to parallel with molars?

Something in between?

I swear in some pictures I see, the saddle part of the bit is almost at the smokers' lips. That would give the jaw a rest and a lot more leverage, but I'd think you'd have teeth marks/chatter all over the stem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:52 am

monbla256 wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
DrT999 wrote:

OH MAN!!! So THAT'S what I'm doing wrong !! After all these years of trying to figure out why I had to re-light I now know what's wrong !!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 5) 5) 

I surrender!
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:00 am

Thomas Tkach wrote:

End of the stem further back toward the molars with stem closer to parallel with molars?

Something in between?

I swear in some pictures I see, the saddle part of the bit is almost at the smokers' lips. That would give the jaw a rest and a lot more leverage, but I'd think you'd have teeth marks/chatter all over the stem.

Different strokes for different folks.
I've worked on many a stem and I've seen the wear right at the base of the button and I've even seen teeth wear in the middle of the stem (gag!) so it all depends I reckon what's comfortable for you and of course the weight of the pipe has a lot to do with it also.
Find your comfort zone and use it, it don't matter.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:52 am

DrT999 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
DrT999 wrote:

I surrender!

Just fun'en with ya DR, remember laughter is the best medicine.  
Back to top Go down
Hawker

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:38 pm

Thomas Tkach wrote:

Something in between?

What works for others might not work for you, It's your facial features, pipe shape and tastes if clenching is something that you want to do you'll have to find out what works for you. Find the shape stlye and fit and when you do you'll know it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
DrT999 wrote:

I surrender!

Just fun'en with ya DR, remember laughter is the best medicine.  

I know, just thought I should quit before falling further behind.

Off to light some flake with one spark in a windy snowstorm  Wink
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:31 pm

DrT999 wrote:
]

lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:52 pm

[quote="

I surrender![/quote]

Just fun'en with ya DR, remember laughter is the best medicine.  [/quote]

Off to light some flake with one spark in a windy snowstorm  Wink[/quote]
Speaking of snow storms, ya'll getting much ? All the weather folks down here say ya'll are gonna get buried with record snow!  affraid affraid 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:23 pm

monbla256 wrote:
DrT999 wrote:

Speaking of snow storms, ya'll getting much ? All the weather folks down here say ya'll are gonna get buried with record snow!  affraid affraid 

It started snowing beyond light flurries about 4 hours ago, and it's somewhere between 1 1/2 - 2 inches. If it really continues like this another 18-20 hours, it will be big for this part of the country! Hopefully, since there's no ice/sleet (at least so far), we won't lose power
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Had ice on everything yesterday but, this morning it started melting off so quick it looked like it was raining. I got to enjoy a bowl this afternoon with the sun shining and the temp at about 50 degrees.  Very Happy 
Hope you guys make it through it and see the sun soon.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:54 pm

We're supposed to get 6-10 inches or something overnight starting around midnight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:25 pm

Thomas Tkach wrote:
We're supposed to get 6-10 inches or something overnight starting around midnight.

Well, you better find out, I'd hate to step out and find manure falling from the sky.
Back to top Go down
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:56 pm

Thomas Tkach wrote:

Something in between?

About like you in your avatar--I clench the end of the stem near the button. With a couple of heavier pipes, I clench farther along the stem and let the roof of my mouth help hold the pipe in place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:47 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Thomas Tkach wrote:

Well, you better find out, I'd hate to step out and find manure falling from the sky.

If that's the case, turn off your fans!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel

CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: