HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:18 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:26 am

You guys...I said or something (supposed to be higher now) not OF something. No fans are running. I might have to shovel a path to my car to enjoy a smoke...
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:08 am

Thomas Tkach wrote:
You guys...I said or something (supposed to be higher now) not OF something. No fans are running. I might have to shovel a path to my car to enjoy a smoke...

Well, It sounds like you'll be shoveling in either event.  
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:37 am

A medical professional in the family assures me that the digestive system is all of a piece, from beginning to end. It sounds like, in this thread, "clenchers" can be a misnomer; chewers or gnawers might be a better description. If you accept this thought, it sounds like the salivary glands simply begin to do what normal salivary glands do when chewing (or gnawing) begins, and produce needed lubrication. An experiment -- just begin to move your jaw in a chewing sort of motion. See?, the saliva begins to flow.

One of the posts above referred to pipe smoking in old movies. The piper could puff a little, then wave the pipe around to punctuate talking points, then go back to puffing and the pipe stayed lit. I used to think this was a demo of how an expert piper did it and aspired to do the same. It was years of persistent effort before I realized the role of the director and film editor in expediting this smoking technique. Jeez!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pdzine

Registration date : 2014-03-06

PostSubject: Re: CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT   Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:36 pm

Thomas Tkach wrote:
Maybe I need a new thread, but how do you clenchers clench?

Front of the mouth on the end of the stem with teeth perpendicular to stem?

End of the stem further back toward the molars with stem closer to parallel with molars?

Something in between?

I swear in some pictures I see, the saddle part of the bit is almost at the smokers' lips. That would give the jaw a rest and a lot more leverage, but I'd think you'd have teeth marks/chatter all over the stem.

Depending on the pipe and weight, I will fall into the above category. I clench.

I have clenching pipes and I have sitting, dress pipes. My clenchers are the ones I find myself reaching for because it's rare that all I am doing is smoking. Usually I smoke while mowing the grass, driving, or doing something else that requires my arms.

Here is my break down of how I clench. (I don't clench non-saddle bit straights - requires too much pressure = wrecked stem and tired jaw)

Saddle Bits Straight: Button is usually on my molars and the stem is 3/4 " into my mouth.
Partial Bent: Typically the button is just behind my side teeth or between my teeth about 1/2 " into my mouth
Full Bent: Button is right behind my teeth 1/8 -1/4 " into my mouth most of the pipe weight hanging off my jaw

I don't so much clench as I do keep my teeth close enough together to keep the pipe from falling out. I used to "clench" which led to a very abused first couple of cheap pipes. My cobs all have a mighty fine indent where my canine finds it's home. It's like a butt print on your favorite couch.  Laughing Just slide it in until it clicks and there it stays until I decide to talk. (sometimes if I'm driving I'll talk with the pipe in my mouth anyway - advanced pipe skills I don't recommend it if you care about spillage on your pants)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

CLENCHING, WHY & WHY NOT
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: