HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

user signatures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: user signatures   Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:25 pm

suggestion...

Can we place some kind of limit on signature content. Some users are out of hand. They have a few quotes, another couple images, and then a declaration or something to boot. It's like half a screen or more of nonsense every time they post. Or maybe not allowing images in signatures? I feel like it gets to the point of being inconsiderate and pollutive in a way. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klause

Registration date : 2012-07-09

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Have to agree with Zeno on this.

Also, maybe limit list of pipes and tobaccos in left hand side bar. Can make scrolling down a thread torturous!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:46 pm

I'm in about 60% agreement as a matter of taste; the other 40% is for letting people do their own thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:55 pm

Or I know on some boards you can have the option to disable all signatures. I would be keen on that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm inclined to just let people do their own thing.  Cool 

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:12 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
suggestion...

Can we place some kind of limit on signature content.  Some users are out of hand.  They have a few quotes, another couple images, and then a declaration or something to boot.  It's like half a screen or more of nonsense every time they post.  Or maybe not allowing images in signatures?  I feel like it gets to the point of being inconsiderate and pollutive in a way.  Any thoughts?

Total Anarchy is where it's at   Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil None of that liberal regulation stuff  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Actually, this is the first Forum where I've seen as much allowed meh  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

Last edited by monbla256 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:13 pm

klause wrote:
Also, maybe limit list of pipes and tobaccos in left hand side bar.  Can make scrolling down a thread torturous!!!!
It took me a while to notice my list was flying against my own beliefs on message board etiquette and space efficiency...and really, the only reason the list was there was because the ego and tendency for unnecessary statement. I never look at anyone else's list, so why am I creating this vertical clutter? No reason. Delete.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klause

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:44 am

Zeno, I think you have summed it up perfectly.

But, I get the feeling we'll still be scrolling down through huge blank spaces on threads.  :face: 

It was worth the shot, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:01 am

monbla256 wrote:
Actually, this is the first Forum where I've seen as much allowed meh  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Same here. There was another forum I looked into that was far more cluttered. I didn't participate.

For this one, I've adjusted my expectations, but I also keep my personal clutter to a minimum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:16 am

Zeno Marx wrote:
suggestion...

Can we place some kind of limit on signature content. Some users are out of hand. They have a few quotes, another couple images, and then a declaration or something to boot. It's like half a screen or more of nonsense every time they post. Or maybe not allowing images in signatures? I feel like it gets to the point of being inconsiderate and pollutive in a way. Any thoughts?

Agreed, I don't like all the clutter myself.

Zeno Marx wrote:
klause wrote:
Also, maybe limit list of pipes and tobaccos in left hand side bar.  Can make scrolling down a thread torturous!!!!
It took me a while to notice my list was flying against my own beliefs on message board etiquette and space efficiency...and really, the only reason the list was there was because the ego and tendency for unnecessary statement.  I never look at anyone else's list, so why am I creating this vertical clutter?  No reason.  Delete.

Had the same thought myself so I have stripped mine down to liking Va/Per's and that's it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:55 am

Personally I like the freedom and individual personalization (missing on so many forums today) that the BoB Mods and Admin team allow us.  I say we don't change a thing and be thankful for what they have given us.

Let's not forget all of the hard work the Admin/Mod team put into keeping BoB what it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:17 am

First off I like seeing others lists, it tells me a little about them and if there taste in pipes and or tobacco are as mine. Hey, some are long, so what? Mines not so long. All equals out in the end. I enjoy letting people know what I like and dislike if you know what I mean.
And to suggest that we all eliminate our lists and or signatures just because some one else thinks there without ego and deleted there's I think is nonsense and communism at it's finest. I reckon we should all walk a straight line along the left wall and all wear grey too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:31 am

The signatures and lists are nowhere near as annoying as the large photos that get "quoted" over and over again. But this forum format is quite clean and readable compared to many. I like it, even with the minor annoyances.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:00 pm

Well, I tried using Firefox AdblockPlus, which I may have tried once before a while ago, and it messes with the board.

I don't feel asking for an option, or for a coding change, is another way of saying I don't appreciate the admins' work in setting up the board. The board is a living thing. It evolves and changes as the needs and use change. That's a healthy thing in my opinion.

And like I said, I do know some boards have a built-in option, as part of the basic software, in each user's preferences that enable/disable signatures. I don't think there is any extra coding involved, but I could be wrong about that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:27 pm

You might PM an Admin (Carlos or Mark) and ask if an option could be enabled allowing individuals to set their preferences. I don't have access to that stuff. I'd rather avoid creating a universal policy that governs the use of signatures. That's just me, though....

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
this forum format is quite clean and readable compared to many.

Agreed.

As far a looks go, this forum is aesthetically pleasing. I can think of some other forums that are way more cluttered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
The signatures and lists are nowhere near as annoying as the large photos that get "quoted" over and over again.

This is my biggest forum pet peeve, as well (true of all forum/bb sites I've ever used).

For my part, though, if that's the worst of it then I feel like I've got it pretty good here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klause

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:22 pm

I doubt anyone here does not appreciate the work put in by all involved in running this forum. I imagine we are all very appreciative.

Nor, I think is anyone questioning the aesthetics of the forum - it is indeed easy on the eye, and beautifully put together.

Signatures and the waffle in the left side bar can make it a little cluttered, for some, that's all - nothing more, nothing less. It's just an observation.

No coercion, no demands, just asking questions, testing the waters, listening to answers, considering all sides. Then moving on, cos there's nothing to see here.

I might avail of the option to PM admin - job done, eh?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:36 pm

MisterE wrote:
You might PM an Admin (Carlos or Mark) and ask if an option could be enabled allowing individuals to set their preferences. I don't have access to that stuff. I'd rather avoid creating a universal policy that governs the use of signatures. That's just me, though....
I PMed Carlos.

*as I was double-checking the preferences, I was reminded of the friends/foe option. I guess I can always go the foe route. It's not something I'd like to do, but I don't feel it is all that unusual for any of us to avoid those we feel are being inconsiderate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:01 pm

There's a lot of "forum ettiquette" which many have strong feelings over. All caps as SHOUTING for example. People can get really bent out of shape about that stuff, lol. I just try to shake it off...you know, hear the message, not the messenger.

Zeno, you could do the block user option as a quick fix, I don't think who you've blocked is visible.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:28 pm

There does not seem to be much support for any changes. Not that there is any easy way to make changes. Signatures can be turned off, but not limited, with the exception of photo sizes. But I have not seen any that come close to a problem size. Just a bunch of small ones.

It looks like the preferences lists under the avatars are most to blame for increasing post sizes and wasted scrolling space. Without a change to the theme, I don't see where anything can be done. Not that there seems to be much support for that either.

Maybe as time goes on and we get put on newer forum software, more options may open to users.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:42 pm

MisterE wrote:
All caps as SHOUTING for example.

MISTER E - THERE'S NOTHING I HATE MORE THAN PEOPLE ABUSING THE 'CAPS' THING.   Laughing 

Another

Is

Very

Long

And

Drawn

Out

That

Simply

Ramble

On

About

Nothing

And

Could

Be

Shortened

Somewhat

While

Still

Keeping

The

Meaning.

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
MisterE wrote:

MISTER E - THERE'S NOTHING I HATE MORE THAN PEOPLE ABUSING THE 'CAPS' THING.   Laughing 

Another

Is

Very

Long

And

Drawn

Out

That

Simply

Ramble

On

About

Nothing

And

Could

Be

Shortened

Somewhat

While

Still

Keeping

The

Meaning.

lol!

...and quoting them in their entirety.   lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:55 pm

Hermit wrote:
Rob_In_MO wrote:
MisterE wrote:

Another

Is

Very

Long

And

Drawn

Out

That

Simply

Ramble

On

About

Nothing

And

Could

Be

Shortened

Somewhat

While

Still

Keeping

The

Meaning.

lol!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks, Brother!  cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Hermit wrote:
Rob_In_MO wrote:
MisterE wrote:

Another

Is

Very

Long

And

Drawn

Out

That

Simply

Ramble

On

About

Nothing

And

Could

Be

Shortened

Somewhat

While

Still

Keeping

The

Meaning.

lol!

THIS FOR SURE  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

user signatures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next