HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cant leave well enough alone...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bobby Stubbs

Bobby Stubbs

Registration date : 2014-02-16

Cant leave well enough alone... Empty
PostSubject: Cant leave well enough alone...    Cant leave well enough alone... EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 9:59 pm

Cant leave well enough alone... 01062014-001_zps9b34b0e4 Cant leave well enough alone... 01092014-001_zpse2916365 I rusticated this pipe about a month ago..put beveled holes in the stem as well..now I feel the finish is too dark..so I will strip it down and start over..its a learning process
I think I will lighten the panels and leave the rest dark
Back to top Go down
holymolar

holymolar

Registration date : 2014-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Cant leave well enough alone...    Cant leave well enough alone... EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 10:04 pm

I've never seen beveled holes in a stem before. Is it just an esthetic thing?
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

Location : Where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars.
Registration date : 2013-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Cant leave well enough alone...    Cant leave well enough alone... EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 12:09 am

Beauty being in the eye of the beholder and this being your pipe, not mine whatever I think doesn't really count ... BUT

If it were mine, I'd lighten the rustication some and do the panels in a red/brown ... something that would really highlight the grain.

Back to top Go down
Bobby Stubbs

Bobby Stubbs

PostSubject: Re: Cant leave well enough alone...    Cant leave well enough alone... EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 2:23 am

holymolar wrote:
I've never seen beveled holes in a stem before. Is it just an esthetic thing?
I got the idea from a picture of a high dollar freehand pipe(custom..one off ) Told myself I can do that !
The holes will only work on a very wide stem pipe..I took extreem care to stay clear of the draft hole..various Dremmel bits (tapered ) drilled the holes lay out the hole spacing so it is all equal..polishing was done with a conical Dremmel buff..shaped on a grinder and loaded with marine fiberglass polish..the rest of the stem was polished with a buffer..With a name like holymoler this should be right up your alley LOL
I am eyeballing a Peterson African Meerschaum in my collection that is short and squatty with a very wide stem..its next LOL
Thanks go out to my friend Coastie3202 for getting me back into rustification
Back to top Go down
LordTemplar

LordTemplar

Registration date : 2014-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Cant leave well enough alone...    Cant leave well enough alone... EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 8:35 am

I like the pipe the way it is, but I would lighten the panels as well, just for personal preference. It is really nice work!
Back to top Go down
Bobby Stubbs

Bobby Stubbs

PostSubject: Re: Cant leave well enough alone...    Cant leave well enough alone... EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 10:45 pm

Sanded the pipe...restained the rusticated area with mahogany and left the panels unstained..polished the pipe and this is the result.. Cant leave well enough alone... 02202014-001_zps25ce6be4
Back to top Go down
Bobby Stubbs

Bobby Stubbs

PostSubject: Re: Cant leave well enough alone...    Cant leave well enough alone... EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 3:39 pm

I believe the pipe is a Danmore
I found one just like it before the rustification
I wonder if the pipe is oil cured as the panels seem to darken on their own after sanding to bare wood ..
the briar is very hard on this pipe as well..it took some effort just to rusticate it and outlineing the panels was a chore
Back to top Go down

Cant leave well enough alone...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: