HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Profiling

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bobby Stubbs

Registration date : 2014-02-16

PostSubject: Profiling   Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:28 am

Us old farts wont have a problem with this..but I was wondering if some of the young guys ever get hasseled by the law when smokeing..as in what is in that pipe ? show me your tobacco....ect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:14 am

Never hassled by the Man, but I've gotten plenty of smart-arsed remarks from passers-by. Whoops! I'm sorry. You were asking for young guys, weren't you? Well, I was young when I started, if that counts.  Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:11 am

George Kaplan wrote:
Never hassled by the Man, but I've gotten plenty of smart-arsed remarks from passers-by. Whoops! I'm sorry. You were asking for young guys, weren't you? Well, I was young when I started, if that counts.  Razz

Psst! George, to guys 60 and older you are a young guy. Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:20 am

Lived in rural PA from '05-'11. Got to know the local drug enforcement officer and his K9 partner quite well. I would take my kids to the park on the outskirts of town with no problem. The previously mentioned officers house was next to this park so he was already quite familiar with my pipe smoking. Every time I went to the park in the center of town though the cops would be called and sure enough here comes the drug enforcement officer. Of course after the first encounter it became "Oh it's you again!" Followed by me placing my pouch and the contents of my pockets on the table or bench I was sitting at and taking three good steps back while he poked through my stuff again. It was always good for a chuckle cause he was always appologetic about it. It did get to the point though that I wouldn't take the kids to the park in town anymore. I'd go to the other park and wave to the officer while he was sitting on his porch.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:06 pm

This is such crap. Welcome to Amerika! I got pulled over once because I was lighting my pipe at night as I drove past one of the county's finest myrmidons. I saw his whole attitude change as I rolled down the window and a cloud of pipe smoke rolled over him. He said my plate didn't match the car description--an old car I had owned for ten years. So why did he instantly let me go? So much for probable cause. I hate the entire drug culture from top to bottom, but not as much as the "drug war." They can stick it in their collective fundament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:10 pm

I've never been hassled by the police, but people do tend to look at me slantwise when I'm walking down the street smoking my pipe. However, the first response I often hear when people learn that I smoke a pipe is, "What kind of pipe?"  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:18 pm

Rural Penna. here too.

State cop lives 100 yards up the hill from us.

Early on after the move in, was smoking on the front porch & noticed him stopped across the road, staring at me.  

That went on for a couple of minutes before I walked down to his car, pipe in use, & asked him if there was something I could do for him ?

No hassle since then.

Being a longhair rolling cigarettes in Alabama during the 70s was a different story . . .  Laughing 

What a Face
Back to top Go down
PlateauGuy

Registration date : 2013-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:13 pm

The first time my daughter saw my Kirsten pipe, she turned and looked at me and asked what was going on  Question Question 

It took some explaining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Psst! George, to guys 60 and older you are a young guy. Wink 

Try telling that to women 35 and under!  Mad 

If I were back in my hometown, I doubt the cops would even give me a second look for smoking a pipe these days. That other pipeweed gets you a civil infraction on par with a speeding ticket in Kalamazoo, and the city police are officially instructed to make it "the least of their concerns".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:19 pm

I am the guy in the clergy collar driving a 90's Grand Marquis or 90's Suburban smoking a pipe. I am in my 50's. I walk to the post office from church on nice days to get the mail dutifully putting the lit pipe in my jacket pocket while inside. I walk downtown to get a cup of coffee with a pipe when I need to stretch my legs. I smoke my pipe while picking up trash by the sidewalk when I get to the office early. Sometimes the police wave at me, and I wave back. I claim I look fairly nonthreatening to the law enforcement community even smoking a Airograte or a Kirsten.

Haven't had an issue yet...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371 Online
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:41 am

Never. Although I did get pulled over once under suspicion of drinking and driving while sipping on a Virgil's Root Beer. That was funny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bobby Stubbs

Registration date : 2014-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:55 am

Fr_Tom wrote:
I am the guy in the clergy collar driving a 90's Grand Marquis or 90's Suburban smoking a pipe. I am in my 50's. I walk to the post office from church on nice days to get the mail dutifully putting the lit pipe in my jacket pocket while inside. I walk downtown to get a cup of coffee with a pipe when I need to stretch my legs. I smoke my pipe while picking up trash by the sidewalk when I get to the office early. Sometimes the police wave at me, and I wave back. I claim I look fairly nonthreatening to the law enforcement community even smoking a Airograte or a Kirsten.

Haven't had an issue yet...
Dont think you meet the profile..lets see..18 to 30 ..living in a known drug area..ect..and if you are Hispanic or Black then you fit..at least in Texas
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:22 am

They see me and run. One look and they see it would cost the State a ton of money to pay my medical bills. Growing old does have some advantages.  Wink 

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:32 am

Bobby Stubbs wrote:

Dont think you meet the profile..lets see..18 to 30 ..living in a known drug area..ect..and if you are Hispanic or Black then you fit..at least in Texas

Oh - I consider myself reasonably young and spry, but I am well out of the 18-30 cohort. I am also one of those white guys with short hair (what is left of it), etc..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371 Online
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:10 am

George Kaplan wrote:
That other pipeweed gets you a civil infraction on par with a speeding ticket in Kalamazoo, and the city police are officially instructed to make it "the least of their concerns".

Same here, George. I friend of mine just went to work for the County Sheriff's Dept. He was told that unless is was a very large amount of 'pipeweed', it wasn't worth the paperwork and to simply ignore it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:07 am

Got stopped by a park ranger once while taking my dog for a walk in a local park.

Apparently some busybody was also walking her dog and called the rangers office to report "someone smoking drugs." The guy was just doing his job and we ended up having a pretty good laugh about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokey-smokey

Registration date : 2014-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:08 pm

I got pulled over once, in my early 20's. After I pulled out my license, insurance and registration (and before the officer went back to his car) I asked him why he pulled me over. He told me I wasn't wearing my seat belt (and I was)

I told the officer I was wearing it, he said ok, went back to his car, came back and said "ok, drive safe"

It was never said, but I assume he got suspicious of a young guy with a pipe.

Then never again since.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:48 pm

I'll test the local water when the weather warms up. I live near one of those upscale "outdoor malls" which has a "Main Street," store fronts and doggy water dishes ouside every store. Sometimes my missus makes me take her there, even though there is practically nothing of interest to a guy. Well, there is a Johnny Rockets and the ice cream shoppe's cones are tasty, though expensive. I've noticed the lack of prohibiting signage and availability of ornamental ash trays. This spot has its own police station. So I plan to park on a bench and light up. Maybe my Orvis jacket with leather patches at the elbows, and a Dunhill with a light Virginia. Public Enemy #2,678,542. I expect to be ignored, but there are mums with urchins, so we'll see:-0
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:09 am

You rebel you! Have fun with that.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Never been questioned or stopped. I think the big truck and cowboy hat somehow make me look less suspicious. That, or its the grey hair that is permeating my beard. Im getting old @ 36 LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:31 pm

Never have had this problem in over 40 years of smoking and I live in the heart of Profiling Land ( gotta watch out for THOSE people ya know  Twisted Evil ) I had an older lady growl at me when I took a walk down my street smoking my pipe one evening as I passed by her when she was on her porch, that's all  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:58 am

Are you sure she was growling, Monbla? Maybe it was more of a "come hither" purr.  I love you 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:15 am

I've gotten some funny looks for my pipes. I did however, get stopped by a young A-Hole part time Cop when I was smoking a Bolivar Presidente. He wanted to see if I had been "rolling blunts" and wanted to "see" (ie: touch / hold) my cigar!!! I declined, and then produced MY BADGE & CREDENTIALS!!! Razz  I explained to him that dope smokers don't use "Castro Sticks" to roll up blunts! He had no idea that particular cigar cost more than what he made in one hour (More like almost two hours!!!).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:25 am

Good one, Dover. I would have loved to see the look on his face!  affraid 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Moosecop

Registration date : 2014-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Profiling   Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:10 am

Well Im on the other side of the coin.. I stopped a guy speeding once and he was smoking a briar.. I know the difference between a glass pipe and a briar..When I gave him a warning ( he was only 12 over) I made the comment ... I cant give a fellow pipe smoker a ticket but slow down.. its 25 through here.. He smiled and said thanks and drove off..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ebay.com/mnrsales

Profiling
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next