HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:36 pm

You ever had a pipe that it didn't matter what you smoked in it or how you smoked it, it would just taste like crap? Well I did until now anyway, no it wasn't ghosted or drilled off or the like. Just couldn't finger out why it wouldn't like anything I put in it. Two years past some of it with it just sitting in the rack because I knew from previous tries it wasn't going to cooperate. About six months ago I stuck it back in rotation trying it again and finally going through all I had to offer it, it finally gave up and started liking PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. It's always the last of anything it seems you try that works. If we would all do things backwards I reckon it still end up that way, just fate I reckon. Here's the ornery cuss below, a what I believe to be from research a early Mauro Armellini Converti Regal and yes I know I've said I care not for straight pipes but, this being a spigot intrigued me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:14 am

Sort of how you always find something you've lost at the LAST place you look.  Laughing 

That's a mildly attractive pipe to me. I consider spigots an acquired taste; I'm starting to acquire it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:48 am

That's a fine looking pipe Cart, glad you got her working for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LordTemplar

Registration date : 2014-01-16

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:52 am

Excellent looking pipe Cart. Love the story too. I have a couple of new pipes that have the same trouble. Maybe I will have to try the PS Bullseye Flake, LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:51 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Sort of how you always find something you've lost at the LAST place you look.

Of course you always find it in the last place you look. Why would you keep looking after you found it?  Very Happy 

Nice pipe, Cart. Glad you got it working. Is that a cumberland stem?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks guys, and I was beginning to think that I was the only one with this problem.

George, Don't I wish! No it's just Acrylic, sort of a dark brown smoke looking.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:36 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Thanks guys, and I was beginning to think that I was the only one with this problem.

That's a nice looking pipe and I;m glad it "came in" for you finally. I've only had that problem with two pipes back in the early 8o's, I bought two Caminetto's as they were all the rage then and spent the next three years trying EVERYTHING I smoked in 'em but NOTHING worked ! . They were just hot, sour smoking pipes so I traded 'em to a friend for two Charatans he had. I've still got the Charatans and have not missed the Caminetto's at all ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:59 am

monbla256 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

That's a nice looking pipe and I;m glad it "came in" for you finally. I've only had that problem with two pipes back in the early 8o's, I bought two Caminetto's as they were all the rage then and spent the next three years trying EVERYTHING I smoked in 'em but NOTHING worked ! . They were just hot, sour smoking pipes so I traded 'em to a friend for two Charatans he had. I've still got the Charatans and have not missed the Caminetto's at all ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I have a couple of Caminetto's, nice looking pipes but, I don't smoke them........cost me too much at the time. Besides I have way too many anyway. But, it sounds like you got the better end of the deal IMO.
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:57 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Of course you always find it in the last place you look. Why would you keep looking after you found it?  Very Happy 

Thanks for that enlightenment, George.  I knew I was wasting a lot of time for some reason.   Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:56 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Yup, good ole George is back.  cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:36 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Rob Would!  
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:51 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Rob_In_MO wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Rob Would!  

What's bad is when you're digging through boxes of crap and find something only to say 'Man, I've always wanted one of these.' Of course there is no telling how long it's been in that box in the garage.  Mad 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:05 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Rob_In_MO wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Rob Would!  

What's bad is when you're digging through boxes of crap and find something only to say 'Man, I've always wanted one of these.'  Of course there is no telling how long it's been in that box in the garage.   Mad 

When I die, my daughter's gonna get the archeology dept at the local collage to come over to my garage and they'll have a "dig" to work on for a semester or two !!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:02 am

That is one beautiful pipe, honestly it is  cheers 

I have this GBD New Standard 9488 which remains a stubborn pipe. I thought I had it going on English blends and then it decided that latakia wasn't good afterall. It's been sitting in the rack for years now. It's a looker and I really want to smoke it. But, no go. I thought of just sending it off to one of the brothers but, on the otherhand, that would not be nice of me, will it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:13 am

Thank you sir and yes, this one is being finicky and I'm unsure how long it'll like PSLBF.
We'll see but, if it gives anymore problems out she goes. Got too many pipes that smoke well to put up with this one much longer.
Back to top Go down
Canicus61

Registration date : 2013-10-16

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:01 am

That's a fine looking pipe! I'm intrigued by spigots - don't own any, but some, like this one, seem harmonious in appearance - more like a pipe than an 'appliance'.....

I'm wondering if the mix of materials in spigots can make them more 'ornery' - does that affect taste/heat etc. and make them finicky pipes by nature?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 am

Canicus61 wrote:
That's a fine looking pipe! I'm intrigued by spigots - don't own any, but some, like this one, seem harmonious in appearance - more like a pipe than an 'appliance'.....

I'm wondering if the mix of materials in spigots can make them more 'ornery' - does that affect taste/heat etc. and make them finicky pipes by nature?

I'm thinking the construction of the draft, difference lying between the shank and the stem on this one. But, I've never had a spigot give me problems before this. I have opened up the stem to match that of the shank with a tapper drill and it did improve. But, I fear there's more at large here but, we'll see.
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE   Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
What's bad is when you're digging through boxes of crap and find something only to say 'Man, I've always wanted one of these.'  Of course there is no telling how long it's been in that box in the garage.   Mad 

When that happens to me I usually find out I'm in someone else's garage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

STUBURN PIPE FINALLY BROKE
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1