HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

SG 1792 Flake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: SG 1792 Flake   Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:52 am

A while back I bought a tin of this tobacco. It's nice strong flavour suited my taste, so I ordered 8oz in bulk.

The bulk tobacco I received, is quite different from what was in the tin. It's tinder dry but........I can't get it to burn properly! Extremely difficult to light, needing 4 to 5 lights with a match And even then I've got to keep on puffing, otherwise it just goes out.

I've jarred most of the 8oz and added a some brandy. After 2 weeks, it was easier to light but still difficult to keep lit. It's also very strong tasting and makes me cough.

I've now added some perique to a small batch and it tastes much better. I'm wondering if I should add perique to the rest of what I've got or just leave it alone for some time? I don't want to waste good tobacco (perique) to try and save a batch of bad stuff  Question 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: SG 1792 Flake   Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:58 am

I love 1792, but it is a pain in the rump to keep lit. (Seems to be a problem with SG flakes in general.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

Registration date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: Re: SG 1792 Flake   Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Yup, a tricky one to be sure. I like it dry too, just to get an easier burn.

Counter-intuitive, it tends to go out with harder puffing, IMO. I just chalk it up to being one of those stubborn ones. So what if I need to relight as long as I have a lighter?

Not good for absentminded piping, but whatever. Rolling Eyes There are so many more tobaccos in the world, it almost doesn't matter that there stubborn ones...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: SG 1792 Flake   Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:34 pm

I love the Gawith flakes. I rub them out. Seemingly moist, or dry, I have no difficulties really. I don't count relights as a problem, as that is usually not keeping it properly tamped. Minor differences between tins and bulk packs are not really noticeable to me. At least not on this modern blending.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: SG 1792 Flake   Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:30 am

I love 1792 but for some strange reason it gives me heartburn. Like a feeling in my chest like I have to burp. Only get this from 1792 and brown flake and dark flake. It's not a nicotine issue because I smoke plugs and ropes. Is it from the tonquin? Strange question sorry. I love the tonquin topping by the way...wish it was more common
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: SG 1792 Flake   Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
I love 1792 but for some strange reason it gives me heartburn. Like a feeling in my chest like I have to burp. Only get this from 1792 and brown flake and dark flake. It's not a nicotine issue because I smoke plugs and ropes. Is it from the tonquin? Strange question sorry. I love the tonquin topping by the way...wish it was more common
I guess it could be the tonquin. I don't have that reaction to it myself. I like Bracken Flake quite a bit. It's in the family of those. Give it a try if you can get your hands on some. PM me if you can't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: SG 1792 Flake   Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:46 pm

I haven't tried bracken I've always wanted to. Thanks juan that's might nice of you but since it's not available In the us I couldn't ask you that. I will have to order from synjeco sometime along with some SG black cherry I'm dying to try
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: SG 1792 Flake   Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Let me know what you think when you get around to it. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: SG 1792 Flake   Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:59 pm

I also love 1792. I dry it to the point of crispy which is deceptive as there still ends up being a good amount of moisture in it. Unlike FVF or SJF, it retains its flavor in a drier state and becomes much easier to deal with. Rubbed out, it's less focused, less sweet. I rip the flakes into strips, cube it up and gravity fill my pipe with it, with very little tamping.

I agree with Josh, 1792 is meant to burn like church incense. If you puff insanely hard on it, it works against you. Over-heated it tastes awful. Low and slow, it's sublime.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: SG 1792 Flake   Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:38 am

It also benefits subtly from aging. I can't detect that pipers are very concerned with aging it vs other blends but I do think it can benefit some. Imho, sometimes in the very fresh tins the flavoring note is a bit wild and separate from the tobacco whereas in a tin with a few years on it the flavoring is closer to that smooth near vanilla taste and melded better with the tobacco. Again, it's not a world changing difference for sure but something I've noticed. I imagine also that some might find they only prefer the freshest versions too. I can go both ways, myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: SG 1792 Flake   Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:04 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
I haven't tried bracken I've always wanted to.

It's the same casing as 1792, but less intense, if I remember well.
Back to top Go down

SG 1792 Flake
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: