HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Bay Life...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Growley

avatar

Age : 42
Location : Fairhope, Al
Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Bay Life...   Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:24 pm

I've only lived by the bay for about 3 years. Prior to that, I spent time in MI, OH, CO, and TX. Colorado certainly had it's charms with the mountains and all, but I'm really starting to dig this bay life.

I needed today in a major way. My job/life has been a bit of a rollercoaster as of late, and the stress levels have risen. This morning I woke up to 65 degree weather without a cloud in the sky. There are a rare precious few hours in the morning when the rest of my family is waking up and getting ready. This is time I desperately cherish, and try to use for the good of my well being. Today, I headed straight for the water.

I've recently aquired a Stand Up Paddle Board, and all I can say is, "Where has this sport been all my life?". I rocked down to the bay, threw my board onto the perfectly glassy water and paddled away from the shore, the noise, the stress, and into serenity. By the time I got going, it was already 70 degrees and still climbing. Completely comfortable in nothing but swimming shorts, I felt like I was on vacation...if only for 2 hours.

I'm starting to understand why beach bums are beach bums. I could get used to this  Very Happy 

Just thought I'd share a little ray of sunshine from the deep south.



Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Puff Daddy
Moderator
avatar

Age : 53
Location : South of heaven
Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Excellent!!  Very Happy  I love the sea. The wife and I are going to retire somewhere near the sea in a few years, probably be the PNW though. Partly because we have family and history there (and it's always green) but mostly because we hate humidity. I've been to the gulf coast and the eastern seaboard and down into Baja several times. Loved everything but the humidity (and hurricanes, which I could do without).

Good for you, that paddle board looks like a lot of fun  Very Happy

_________________
These are horrible times and all sorts of horrible people are prospering, but we must never let this disturb our equanimity or deflect us from our sacred duty to annoy and hinder them at every turn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Looks great Brian. Glad you could spend some quality time de-stressing and having fun while doing it.


Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
George Kaplan

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Kalamazoo, MI
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:41 pm

You're a dick, Growley.

" />

 lol! Just kidding, man. I could never truly begrudge a brother for some fairweather relaxation, even when my typical "Bay Life" morning looks more like this these days:

" />

That paddleboard looks like a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

avatar

Age : 42
Location : Fairhope, Al
Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:03 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Excellent!!  Very Happy  I love the sea. The wife and I are going to retire somewhere near the sea in a few years, probably be the PNW though. Partly because we have family and history there (and it's always green) but mostly because we hate humidity. I've been to the gulf coast and the eastern seaboard and down into Baja several times. Loved everything but the humidity (and hurricanes, which I could do without).

Good for you, that paddle board looks like a lot of fun  Very Happy

The humidity I think I've finally gotten used to, as well as the heat for that matter. But yeah, the hurricanes suck. I guess between hurricanes, tornadoes, freezes, landslides, sinkholes, earthquakes, floods and so on it's almost like you have to pick your poison and hope it doesn't hit you too hard.

The paddle board is a blast, but it doesn't take too much to fall in. My particular board is a race style, so it favors very flat water, but I still try to ride it in the waves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Growley

avatar

Age : 42
Location : Fairhope, Al
Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:08 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
You're a dick, Growley.

" />

 lol! Just kidding, man. I could never truly begrudge a brother for some fairweather relaxation, even when my typical "Bay Life" morning looks more like this these days:

" />

That paddleboard looks like a lot of fun.

I feel your icy pain George. I grew up in these conditions, spent 22 years in OH and MI. Hopefully you'll see some respite soon. We had kids suntanning here today and playing beach volleyball in swimsuits. It wasn't "that" warm but you know how it is when you get a touch of warmth. Oh wait, you don't...just kidding  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:34 pm

Ocean beaches are good when they're empty of people. Sand dunes ditto. Woods also. When people are in EMPTY places like that -- ones that convey a sense of vastness -- it really puts the piddly human crap we obsess ourselves with into perspective. Automatically.

I kind of pity people that grew up without that, in a way.

 What a Face
Back to top Go down
Growley

avatar

Age : 42
Location : Fairhope, Al
Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:46 pm

Yak wrote:
Ocean beaches are good when they're empty of people. Sand dunes ditto. Woods also. When people are in EMPTY places like that -- ones that convey a sense of vastness -- it really puts the piddly human crap we obsess ourselves with into perspective. Automatically.

I kind of pity people that grew up without that, in a way.

 What a Face

Well said. I miss the woods. I spent a good amount of time playing in them as a kid. I miss the mountains for the same reason. I'm definitely not a city guy. I won't knock the city by any means, because to each is own. But I spent just two days in Chicago about a week back, and I couldn't wait to get back. I didn't hate it. It just isn't for me.

I see a country house in my distant future. Heck, by then I'll just have Amazon drones deliver everything to me. Shoot, maybe I'll figure a way to ship my pipes out the same way. How cool would that be?  cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Rad Davis

avatar

Age : 68
Location : Foley, Alabama, USA
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:54 am

So, Brian, have you experienced a Jubilee yet?  Very Happy 

Rad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://raddavispipes.com/pipes.htm
Hiram-2011

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Illinois
Registration date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:03 am

Always nice to de-stress, even better that you had some fun Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Kalamazoo, MI
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Growley wrote:
It wasn't "that" warm but you know how it is when you get a touch of warmth. Oh wait, you don't...just kidding  Twisted Evil 

Yeah, I know how it is; we're actually more than a foot below normal snowfall for the season. It's downright tropical here. We actually get guys out surfing in November and December, a few miles north of that breakwater in my second pic. Yooper beach bums seem to be completely effing insane a bit hardier than most.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

avatar

Age : 31
Location : Nairobi, Kenya
Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:59 pm

The humidity in Alabama is the worst, but I do love the bay where you're at.

The wife and I are heading to the coast of Kenya, Mombasa, in a week. I look forward to it. Perhaps I will have to take pictures and share with you all as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

avatar

Age : 42
Location : Fairhope, Al
Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Rad Davis wrote:
So, Brian, have you experienced a Jubilee yet?   Very Happy 

Rad

Not yet. I hear it doesn't come around that often, and doesn't last long when it does. It would be something to see for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
i.keenum

avatar

Age : 27
Location : coast of mississippi
Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:39 am

Love the picture brother , been bout an hour west of you most my life and don't plan on leaving the south. Not a big fan of the humidity either but I live on a bay also and it's a great place to call home. Shoot feels like some where else with the past few days being almost freezing though. Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:17 am

I need to retire to someplace like that BEFORE I get too old to enjoy the water. I've watched the paddleboard guys (and gals) on the Gulf, it looks like fun. Is the Gulf water warm enough for just trunks this time of the year? (what is the water temp?) That is a great photo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

avatar

Age : 44
Location : Park Hills, MO
Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:27 pm

joshoowah wrote:
The humidity in Alabama is the worst, but I do love the bay where you're at.

Worst humidity I've ever experienced was in the Louisiana swamps.  Mad 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

avatar

Location : Central Massachusetts and midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:35 pm

I'm jealous, it's 23 degrees here at noon time and snowing again.
I've seen the paddle board guys but kayak fishing is my method of enjoying time on the water.
Beautiful photograph and the look of solitude at that time of the morning. Enjoy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

avatar

Age : 31
Location : Nairobi, Kenya
Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:34 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
joshoowah wrote:
The humidity in Alabama is the worst, but I do love the bay where you're at.

Worst humidity I've ever experienced was in the Louisiana swamps.   Mad 

Equally bad, for sure. July and August are months where people hibernate, that is stay in the AC until the fall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles



Location : Pittsburgh, PA
Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:32 pm

Paddle board's got ya', huh?
Whenever you want to give boardsailing, a.k.a., windsurfing a go, I'll gift you boards, sails, masts, booms, even wetsuits...we have more than we'll ever need (again). My wife and I agree it's time for "sit-down" sailing now for us. Gear is free - you pick up, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

avatar

Age : 31
Location : Nairobi, Kenya
Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Aristokles wrote:
Paddle board's got ya', huh?
Whenever you want to give boardsailing, a.k.a., windsurfing a go, I'll gift you boards, sails, masts, booms, even wetsuits...we have more than we'll ever need (again). My wife and I agree it's time for "sit-down" sailing now for us.  Gear is free - you pick up, though.

The generosity of you guys never ceases to amaze.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Kalamazoo, MI
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:40 pm

Looks like the "Bay Life" on this side of the country may be looking up. The ice in Lower Harbor is finally starting to break up. I've got an open water kayak that I'm seriously considering taking out for a spin if the weather stays like this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

avatar

Age : 42
Location : Fairhope, Al
Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:17 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Looks like the "Bay Life" on this side of the country may be looking up. The ice in Lower Harbor is finally starting to break up. I've got an open water kayak that I'm seriously considering taking out for a spin if the weather stays like this.

Be careful if you do. Falling in would be no joke. With as "warm" as the water is here, I found myself barely able to breathe one time I fell in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
George Kaplan

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Kalamazoo, MI
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Bay Life...   Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:55 am

Will do, Brian. I've got a dry-suit just for the occasion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Bay Life...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» CELEBRATING LOVE AND LIFE!
» WWII Inflatable Life Belt
» Half Life Pixel art
» Eternal Life
» Flash of light when life begins.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: