HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Barling's Guinea Grain EXEXEL Restoration

Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Barling's Guinea Grain EXEXEL Restoration   Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm

I finished this 1940's era, pre-Transition Barlings Guinea Grain, for a member of another pipe forum. Jesse Silver, an authority on Barling's pipes was a big help dating the pipe. This was my first Barling's restoration and I enjoyed as much learning about the brand as I did doing the work. I include more details about the restoration process on Steve Laug's "Reborn Pipes" blog.

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/barlings-guinea-grain-restoration/

A few before and after shots below.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
herbinedave

Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Barling's Guinea Grain EXEXEL Restoration   Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:59 pm

Great job Al!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Barling's Guinea Grain EXEXEL Restoration   Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Very nicely done, Sir!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Barling's Guinea Grain EXEXEL Restoration   Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:17 pm

Very nice Al, if you wanted to get shot of those 'dings' on the stummel you can use a wet towel and an iron to drawn them out, I'm pretty sure Steve has an article on it over at rebornpipes somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Barling's Guinea Grain EXEXEL Restoration   Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:39 pm

Briar Spirit wrote:
Very nice Al, if you wanted to get shot of those 'dings' on the stummel you can use a wet towel and an iron to drawn them out, I'm pretty sure Steve has an article on it over at rebornpipes somewhere.

I've already did that, I spend a good hour steaming all of those dents. Too many and too small to pull them out. I use an old kitchen knife, wet rag and a propane torch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Barling's Guinea Grain EXEXEL Restoration   Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:54 pm

Great work as always Al!

áCoolá

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Barling's Guinea Grain EXEXEL Restoration   Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:50 pm

Great job, as always. Really fine stately pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pruss

Registration date : 2013-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Barling's Guinea Grain EXEXEL Restoration   Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Nicely done, Al. Lovely clean up on that Barling. I get self conscious about cleaning up a pipe and leaving a little ring of oxidation where the stem meets the shank, but I always feel that I'd rather it be a little green, than sanded out of round.

What do the rest of you guys think about that?

-- Pat
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Barling's Guinea Grain EXEXEL Restoration
Page 1 of 1