HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Relights

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Relights   Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:32 pm

gravel wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Stick wrote:
Perhaps wrestling with the conflict in one's mind over relights is a little like the path to enlightenment.  Only when you have found peace can you really start to enjoy the experience of smoking a pipe?  scratch 

AAAH! I forgot the philosophical aspect of pipe smoking! Oh well, I'm just an old fart that smokes a pipe and to tell the truth I STOPPED counting my re-lights DECADES ago!! I just smoke 'em!  Onward thru the Fog   Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Well, the ol memory isn't what it used to be eh?  Twisted Evil 

Hell, it wasn't good when I was half your age !!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Relights   Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:35 pm

This thread reminds me of a golfing head game in which the poorer player compliments the superios player on some aspect of his swing in an effort to [bleep] up the guy's focus. ("OOooo, I see, you slightly regrip the club at the top before starting your downswing.) I agree with the posters who affirm that the idea is to relax and enjoy your smoke and put aside goal-related stuff that can bleep up your focus and distract you. Depending on tobacco, packing and location (outdoor? indoor?) a single match isn't unusual for me, and I do think it's kinda cool when it happens. I especially like one-match fold n' stuff flake smokes. But I gladly sacrifice a one-light bowl if keeping the ember going would require heroic puffing and lead to embittering the remainder of the smoke. Better to just acquiesce to the whim of the cosmos, let the works cool down, give a gentle tamp, and relight. FYI -- I also tamp gently around the edges leaving a little loosely packed hump in mid-bowl. FYI2 -- I cheat a little on fold n stuff charring lights by putting a wee pinch of a ribbon cut straight Va at the top just to encourage a good start.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Domer

Registration date : 2013-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Relights   Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:59 am

I have the best luck when I let the tobacco dry out a bit. Putting a bowlful on a piece of paper for 5-10 minutes makes a difference to me with a rubbed out flake.
Usually though, I'm impatient and jam the flakes in the bowl. Lots of relights.

Also a wide open draw keeps things moving along.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Relights   Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:06 pm

Smoke a whole bowl without relights Exclamation You can really do that Question Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Relights   Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:20 am

If you are not relighting your not smoking a pipe. MIKE
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Relights
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-