HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Recipe sharing?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Briarbabe

Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Recipe sharing?    Recipe sharing?  EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 1:03 pm

It would appear that we have some good cooks lurking around these pages. I've been looking through this particular area for a thread to share recipes and haven't found one yet. Is this something anyone else would be interested in doing? I've been tinkering with a bread pudding recipe lately and I think I have it just right. I'd love to have a place to share and get feedback, pick up new recipes to try, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
d4klutz

d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe sharing?    Recipe sharing?  EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 1:31 pm

I will play. I make an awesome desert with bacon....

NOTE: I never measure anything when I cook. LOL. I made this recipe off the top of my head one day and it was a hit. The glaze on the bacon gives it a smokey, sweet, and spicy flavor that really is addicting. Start off with smaller amounts (except for the white sugar and bacon) and then add everything to taste.

1 lb bacon cooked until it is crispy without being burnt.
1/4 c white sugar
approx 2 TBL molasses
1/2 - 1 tsp ancho chili powder
1/2 - 1 tsp chipotle chili powder

Mix enough molasses with about 1/4 cup white sugar until it is a medium paste somewhere between a thick paste and runny paste). If the paste is too thick to spread, then add more molasses and then heat for 15 sec in the microwave. It needs to still have the gritty texture of the white sugar.
Next mix in equal parts of ancho chili powder and chipotle chili powder ( I usually start off small and add to taste)

When the bacon is warm (right out of the skillet) I drizzle/ dab this molasses sauce on the bacon and let cool. A thin line on each piece of bacon is enough to melt and spread out and cover the individual pieces.

These can be heated up or served room temp. Enjoy!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
PozzSka

PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe sharing?    Recipe sharing?  EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 2:15 pm

There aren't too many things I do from a recipe, but I know some of the ethnic foods (Serbian/Croatian) I grew up eating (lamb, pig, palacinke, grah i kupus (beans and sauerkraut), cevapi (little sausage things), pogaca (bread).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Briarbabe

Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe sharing?    Recipe sharing?  EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 2:44 pm

d4klutz wrote:
I will play.  I make an awesome desert with bacon....

NOTE:  I never measure anything when I cook.  LOL.  I made this recipe off the top of my head one day and it was a hit.  The glaze on the bacon gives it a smokey, sweet, and spicy flavor that really is addicting.  Start off with smaller amounts (except for the white sugar and bacon) and then add everything to taste.

1 lb bacon cooked until it is crispy without being burnt.
1/4 c white sugar
approx 2 TBL molasses
1/2 - 1 tsp ancho chili powder
1/2 - 1 tsp chipotle chili powder

Mix enough molasses with about 1/4 cup white sugar until it is a medium paste somewhere between a thick paste and runny paste).  If the paste is too thick to spread, then add more molasses and then heat for 15 sec in the microwave.  It needs to still have the gritty texture of the white sugar.
Next mix in equal parts of ancho chili powder and chipotle chili powder  ( I usually start off small and add to taste)

When the bacon is warm (right out of the skillet) I drizzle/ dab this molasses sauce on the bacon and let cool.  A thin line on each piece of bacon is enough to melt and spread out and cover the individual pieces.

These can be heated up or served room temp.  Enjoy!

ZOMG! These sound amazingly bad for you and amazingly good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
d4klutz

d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe sharing?    Recipe sharing?  EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 2:48 pm

Thanks!.. Its my secret recipe.  I have never shared it before.  Try it and let me know.  I have TONS of recipes (in my case guidelines) that I love and would share.

A couple quick ones for you...

Stuffed burgers

Fresh ground beef
Fiesta blend cheese
Hatch New Mexico Chili peppers (canned or roasted)
bacon (cooked and crumbled)

1) Fry your bacon and keep the grease.
2) take some of the grease and sautee/ fry the new mexico chili peppers
3) form 2 hamburger patties and put one on the bottom. put a pile of cheese and chili peppers and crumbled bacon in the middle of the patty
4) take the 2nd patty and put it on top. Pinch the sides, and form into a nice huge thick burger patty.
5) grill slow and low. When cheese starts dripping out the sides, burger is done.
6) put on hamburger buns with whatever toppings you want (Recommend Chalula hot sauce, mayo, and some bbq sauce) for an extra kick.

Stuffed mushrooms

1 lb bacon
Hatch New Mexico Chili peppers
Parmasan cheese
whole white button mushrooms (or whole mushrooms of whatever are your favorites

1) wash mushrooms and remove stems from mushroom caps
2) mix chili peppers and parmasan and stuff into mushroom cap until packed tight
3) wrap mushroom cap in raw bacon and hold in place with wood toothpicks
4) grill low and slow until bacon is crispy without being burned.

Enjoy and don't forget the good beer to go with it!

JP

PS. If it doesn't have heat & flavor, I usually don't like it. LOL. I use chili powder and peppers in alot of my foods.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
PozzSka

PozzSka

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe sharing?    Recipe sharing?  EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 3:09 pm

Here's the recipe for the Serbian Bread I mentioned above...

It's called "Pogača" (poh-gah-chah)

Easy to do...hard to wait...

Servings: 1 Loaf
If wimp: Use Standing Mixer
If not wimp: use hands like good Srbijan women (read with accent for desired affect)

• 2 cups warm water
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 5-6 cups of flour
  • 1tsp salt
  • 2pkg dry yeast

1. Mix oil with warm water and add the yeast. Stir to dissolve. (let is sit for a moment)
  2. Mix salt, 3cups flour, mix together.
  3. Add water/oil/yeast mixture slowly.
  4. add last 2 or 3 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time until it's not sticky.
  5. Knead until smooth, placed in a lightly greased bowl, cover with a towel
  6. Go smoke a pipe or two and let the dough rise to double-sized (1-2 hours)
  7. Keep out of cold drafts (this is Serbian folklore/superstition, you just don't want the yeast to get cold).
  8. Punch down, and knead again, let rise a second time.
  9. Preheat oven to 375F
  10. Punch down and knead use baking stone/sheet and form into a flat ball dome shape.
  11. Cover with towel and let sit for 15 minutes
  12. Prick with a fork, place in preheated oven for 45minutes.
Back to top Go down
PozzSka

PozzSka

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe sharing?    Recipe sharing?  EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 3:19 pm

And, then while that's rising and your smoking a pipe...

make some: čevapi (cheh-vah-pee)

Makes as many as you want...

• 2 parts Ground Lamb
  • 1 part Ground Beef
  • 1 part Ground Pork
  • Lots of Garlic and Salt
  • Paprika and other spices (optional)
  • Green Onions as side dish/topping
  • Roasted Red Peppers as side dish/topping

1. Mix meats and spices together very thoroughly
  2. Estimate (or measure) 2oz of meat mixture and roll into 3 inch (ish) sausages
  3. Cook on grill until Medium
  4. Place on top of Pogača with green onions and/or roasted red peppers

Goes best with Šlivovica (shlee-voh-vee-tsa) (a plum brandy from Serbia/Croatia/Hungary/Slovakia/etc)

Prijatno (pree-yaht-noh) (equivalent to "cheers") or Živeli (zhee-veh-lee) "to life")
Back to top Go down
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe sharing?    Recipe sharing?  EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 1:36 pm

Pozz, I'd never be able to guess that you were from northeast Ohio.  Cool 

I don't share the eastern/central European heritage that so many of the people in the area do (Anglo-German, myself), but I've been learning to cook like it (well...a little).

The last (and most successful) pass I took at čevapi was pretty similar to yours. I omitted the beef though, and made the sausage with Lamb and Pork at a roughly 5-to-2 ratio and include a liberal amount of minced garlic (fresh, not from a jar), and just a bit of grated onion. I tend to like things with just a bit of heat, so I season with salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper (ok...not exactly an authentic ingredient, but what can you do?).

Everything came out really well, although I think I would omit the grated onion next time. Although I prefer it with the cayenne I could leave it out depending on who I'm cooking for and still feel comfortable with the results.

You can keep the Slivovitz though...yikes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe sharing?    Recipe sharing?  EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:41 pm

In my opinion, food is all about sauces.  Not about fats and sugars.  

There's a lot of leeway in this recipe.  When I say 2-3 of something, try it with 2 the first time and build from there. I tweak it a little bit differently each time.  One of these days I'm going to try it with fresh minced ginger.  Great on [rice noodles or rice] with stir-fried vegetables and [crumbled tofu or meat of your choice].  In the case of rice noodles, I put the softened noodles in with the vegetables+protein and then pour this sauce on top and mix well.

-- 2-3 Tbs soy sauce
-- 1 Tbs rice vinegar (Marukan Seasoned Rice Vinegar is the best of the many I've tried; great for salad dressings as well)
-- 1 Tbs brown sugar (or palm sugar)
-- 2-3 Tbs sambal oelek chili paste (or make your own; recipe below)
-- 1-2 tsp gochujang (hot pepper paste)
-- juice from half of a lime
-- 0-3 Tbs chunky peanut butter
-- 0-4 Tbs coconut milk

In a small screw-top jar (re-purposed olive or artichoke jar), combine all ingredients (except the coconut milk).  It's great without the peanut butter, but it's even better with the peanut butter.  I only use coconut milk if I have it handy.  Coconut milk goes bad VERY quickly, so I don't buy it often.  Shake vigorously.  Best if you let it sit 2-24 hours in the refrigerator with an occasional shaking to break down the peanut butter and gochujang.  After I've poured the sauce on the noodles+vegetables+protein, I then add the coconut milk to the jar and shake to get all the left over sauce stuck to the glass and pour it on the noodles etc and stir again.  If you don't like coconut milk, you can do this with a couple tablespoons of water.  You'll see what I mean when you see how much sauce is stuck to the jar.  No sense wasting any of it, and a bit of water works fine for this.

sambal oelek recipe:
-- 2-3 thai chili peppers OR 1-2 serrano peppers
-- 2 cloves garlic
-- 2 whole shallots (that means the entire thing/both halves, so 4 halves)
-- 1 Tbs rice vinegar

In a food processor (or mortar and pestle), combine the peppers, garlic, and shallots.  Mince/grind to a fine texture.  Scrape into a container.  Add vinegar and shake well.  This keeps for a couple weeks.  Good as an ingredient, but also good on burgers and as a general condiment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

PozzSka

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe sharing?    Recipe sharing?  EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 9:03 pm

idbowman wrote:
Pozz, I'd never be able to guess that you were from northeast Ohio.   Cool 

I don't share the eastern/central European heritage that so many of the people in the area do (Anglo-German, myself), but I've been learning to cook like it (well...a little).

The last (and most successful) pass I took at čevapi was pretty similar to yours.  I omitted the beef though, and made the sausage with Lamb and Pork at a roughly 5-to-2 ratio and include a liberal amount of minced garlic (fresh, not from a jar), and just a bit of grated onion.  I tend to like things with just a bit of heat, so I season with salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper (ok...not exactly an authentic ingredient, but what can you do?).

Everything came out really well, although I think I would omit the grated onion next time.  Although I prefer it with the cayenne I could leave it out depending on who I'm cooking for and still feel comfortable with the results.  

You can keep the Slivovitz though...yikes.

You've never had good šlivo! I got some homemade stuff you should try.

Glad to hear my old country cooking is spreading to the Amerikanski.

And, that's a perfect example of the flexibility of this food style...I've seen čevapćići made all sorts of ways. All lamb, all beef, beef/pork, beef/lamb, etc. So you're good.

Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe sharing?    Recipe sharing?  EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 9:06 pm

a summer salad

-- 3/4 cup large grain bulgur
-- 1-3 Tbs olive oil
-- half of a de-seeded and peeled large cucumber
-- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
-- 3 green onions
-- 1/2 cup+ feta cheese
-- 1/4 tsp pepper
-- salt to taste (optional; I never add salt because of the feta)
-- 2 Tbs lemon juice (optional)

Bring 1 1/2 cups water to boil. Add bulgur and stir. Close lid and turn off heat. Wait ten minutes. Drain (if necessary). Add olive oil and pepper and stir. Place pot in refrigerator for long enough to cool. Add diced cucumber, diced green onions, and minced sun-dried tomatoes*. Stir well. Return to the refrigerator, and just before serving, add crumbled feta cheese and stir well. Squeeze lemon at the table and stir.

*They sell Roland sun-dried tomatoes in a 1LB bag for around $5. Reconstitute with hot water and squeeze. Much, much cheaper than buying small jars in oil. Keep bag in the freezer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smg913

smg913

Registration date : 2013-01-27

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe sharing?    Recipe sharing?  EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 5:11 pm

okay this is a great idea!! you guys sound like you really know what your doing. I on the other hand really do not but I do have a quick brussel sprout recipe that has been a big hit so far. I know brussel sprouts don't sound to great but they are really good and we eat a lot of veggies as of late.

preheat oven to 375
rinse and discard any wilted leaves on the sprout
place in a oven dish with olive oil, chopped garlic, salt and pepper, add some fresh lemon juice on top of sprouts
bake in oven for 30 mins "ish" take out of oven and stir the contents
put back in for about ten mins. then take out and add grated parmesan,stir and put back in oven for appox. 5 mins.

sorry I do not measure anything and like I said I am kinda new at this stuff but I found the recipe some where online.
it did say to use more salt than you usually would with any dish and I find this to be true.

you really want to get the outside brown and crispy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Recipe sharing?    Recipe sharing?  EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 8:21 pm

How bout an "exotic" with a ZABAGLIONE sauce for berries and other fruit.
A dessert item.

SERVES 6:

10 EGG YOLKS (ROOM TEMP.)

¾ CUP SUGAR

1/3 CUP MARSALA WINE

Whip egg yolks in copper bowl over boiling water.
Add sugar while beating, when frothy add/drizzle Marsala wine and continue beating until creamy smooth (whip cream looking).

Serve immediately over berries or fruit.

Taste is sublime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

Recipe sharing?  Empty
PostSubject: Recipe sharing   Recipe sharing?  EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 2:19 am

This is one of my family favourites, as you can tell, I don't use measurements so just go with the quantities that suit your taste buds.

Tim's Roast Pork

In baking tray add

Chilli
Ginger
Garlic
Sesame oil
Brown sugar or honey
Dill
Vinegar pref Balsamic or wine or cider, water will do if nothing else is available.

Remove string bag from pork if there and wash the pork thoroughly. Pat the pork dry and salt the fat.
Pat the pork dry again.

Place chunks of garlic and dill on the meat and roll it up again. Pat pork dry again if needed and place on the mixture in the baking tray.

Cook on 160 C for at least four hours, I prefer 8. Then crank to max for forty five minutes or until crackling crackles.

Make gravy with the juices and you're set to go.

Have fun in the kitchen guys.

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Recipe sharing?
Page 1 of 1