HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife Empty
PostSubject: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 1:04 pm

OK - the piece is done at last. It literally took months to complete since I'd get to one stage and have to put it down for either more research...or inspiration...or whatever.

The blade is a Finnish Lammi blade (close to 6" long) hand forged in the 1930's. Lammi, the smith that is famous for these blades, actively worked into his 90's...and is known for this specific kind of design...where the butt cap is a horse's head...usually brass...and the tang of the knife goes all the way through the handle and is hammered (peened) into a mushroom shape against the end of the cap, providing amazing security for the structure if the handle. He's not the only one that did it, just one of the best known and earliest.

It's my first design like this and presented significant challenges. It won't be my last.

Here is an example photo showing the style. I'm doing photos today and will post a few ASAP.

I will put out a little teaser...the handle on mine is a copper bolster and spacers, Dessert Ironwood Burl centerpiece, with the horse head butt being carved from the burl.

Here's the example:

Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife Z
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 1:14 pm

As always, looking forward to your interpretation !!  Very Happy Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 4:14 pm

Those look great can't wait to see yours BH.
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 4:08 am

Your a tease BH, lets see this steed.
By the way thanks for the tip on Bad Dog Burls, just recieved my first order from him. By far the best scales I've ever purchased and at a decent.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Hawker...just a note...Bad Dog is a great vendor.  I often go into the fly reel seats or other areas and so long as the pieces are stabilized and the dimensions are adequate...it don't make no difference what he calls it.  I often buy the blocks and split and sand them myself, getting 4 slabs out of one block is typical.

And now for the Nordic Horsehead Knife.  Had to go to the backup camera (as you can tell) to get photos...software issues with the big Canon.

This Dessert Ironwood Burl is one of the few I've used in a long while that is not stabilized...as they don't stabilize Ironwood Burl!  After carving and finishing I used 100% Pure Tung Oil on it which darkened it a fair bit, but it looks OK.

Last point. A few vendors had brass or stainless steel horse's head pieces with matching bolster fore end pieces I could have just bought. Believe me I tried to do that!  But the end of the tang on the blade was so fine (small) and the holes for same in the cast pieces so large, that it wouldn't fit.  So carving the head was my only option.  Unfortunately it makes for a rather delicate piece...but it's more a decorative item...a collector piece, than a field piece.  You can see the accommodation I had to make in securing the peened mushroom of the tang to the head...channeling a small square and setting the square copper "washer" in there.  Took forever, all by hand as always.

Hand work is great and very rewarding, but I gotta tell y'all that it's going to be mixed in the future.  My old dead Dremel was just replaced...after over twenty years of faithful service...and a new Dremel has been ordered to take its place.  The hot new exciting Fortiflex !!!   HooAhhh!

Sorry...but this is a bit photo heavy, and some are fairly large.  But here goes:

The BlackHorseHead

Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife DSCN2621_zpsadd3b3b5

Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife DSCN2619_zps31f42ae6

Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife DSCN2627_zps767fca80

Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife DSCN2626_zps6a9ce77c

Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife DSCN2640_zpsb4146da3

Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife DSCN2633_zps98b3f373

Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife D6bddf10Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife 29400910Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife 114e6110Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife Ddb39b10Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife Cf77ce10Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife Dd692012Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife Cowboy13

Last edited by Blackhorse on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
d4klutz

d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 12:23 pm

very nice work! I wish I had time and a place to do things like this.
Back to top Go down
http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Knocked that one out of the park. Can imagine it on the set of a movie like LOTR on the belt of one of the cavalry. Copper always looks good and ages in such a neat way.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 11:19 am

Yeah...I wasn't thinking about that when I was making this. But it could be thought of as a "Rohankniv" pretty easily.

One time, when I was doing walking sticks a lot more, I did one on commission for a woman whose favorite literary character was the Princess of Ronan. I did a horse's head on top of the stick...and the handle grip area was an exact reproduction of the sword handle - the one designed and made for Peter Jackson's film. Doing the research and finding the photos of the Ronan arms, armor and horse's tack, etc. were real eye openers. The detail and exquisite craftsmanship used for the film were staggering. My walking stick was less so. But it still netted me about $300.

Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife D6bddf10Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife 29400910Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife 114e6110Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife Ddb39b10Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife Cf77ce10Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife Dd692012Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"
Richard Hester

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 12:01 pm

WOW!!! those are some beautiful knives brother well done indeed.
Back to top Go down
http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 12:11 pm

Cool looking piece BH very artistic. I like the cooper and black spacer accents, they go well with the dessert iron wood. With the strength of the iron would I'm sure the carving would hold up well if the owner does decide to pull it off the mantel piece to put it to work once in a while. It's unbelieveable how strong that wood is. Called "Iron" wood for a reason. I envy the guys living in areas that can harvest it. Last time I was in Mexico I bought a desert iron wood turtle. You should of seen the guys face  Sad when I told him how many knife handle slabs I was going to be able to get out of it when I sliced it up.
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 12:23 pm

Excellent carving skills you got there BH. Really good work. I expect to see the matching chess set by this time next week.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
http://www.jonespipes.com
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Dave that is absolutely stunning! I love ironwood. I put that on a Damascus knife I made for my dad 20 years ago. I still have nightmares about carving that stuff. The copper work is genius! It goes so well with the ironwood. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Jim
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 1:41 pm

Thanks all for the kind words!

Hester...you got me laughing with your Ironwood story. I go the Thrift Stores and look for wood and metal all the time...occasionally I find good pieces to cut up into other items.

Check out the pieces of Curly Koa Wood at Bad Dogs. And why are the Maple Burl pieces $10 when the Buckeye is $18 and the Maple is WAY better looking, better figure and takes the dye so much better! Maybe it's the double dye job.

I spent yesterday going back to a knife with an Ironwood butt cap I'd done and drilled it and pur two copper pins in...then this morning I responded it and buffed it out again. Security...that's the ticket!

Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 2:51 pm

Oh oh. Oh.

You know who that would be perfect for?

That one guy that hauls horses for a living.
What was his name????

Razz 
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 1:17 pm

BH do you have a website or gallery somewhere?
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 2:01 pm

i.k. - try this to get to my Photobucket site. I think it will let you look at anything there as it's all been left public. Just click the "View Library" tab at the bottom of the page and the album set should open. Sorry about the long link. It is what it is.

https://s120.photobucket.com/user/Blackhorse_album/profile/?pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2ZOYLbTEueQSvMiTH0Pt6d0m4CdwhjS8w4ZQwmiu2vziMBv6xP8SlK1dL5iM6q52SylG9yTdYpVeyTlEtDTSxL7llkjKRvNk%2FTFjrPKLZ6EHLzZfy6dtIABTlZPDCX9j80LtARPBhveIQ32TLzkKkD1HwYYhHvoT9w%3D%3D

Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife   Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 3:45 pm

Much appreciated brother. Really like your work, want to get a kit and try my hand pinning and making some scales. My sister gifted me a nice block of cocobolo for christmas.
Back to top Go down

Blackhorse Nordic Horse Head Knife
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: