HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 First item in the cellar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MichaelM

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Souderton, PA
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: First item in the cellar   Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:35 pm

I never really considered cellaring tobacco, but after reading here a bit the idea started brewing in the back of my mind. I went to the tobacconist today intending to get 4oz of PS luxury bullseye flake, and on impulse doubled the order. I picked up a set of mason jars on my way home and I now have a cellar. That jar looks lonely though, so I'll need to get him some friends real soon :-)
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
d4klutz

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Gilmer, TX
Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Good job! Be carefull, though. There is a disorder that comes very quickly, when you start cellaring. It is called TAD. Before you know it, you will have 100 lbs of baccy and an emptier bank account.  lol!  I have been cellaring for a month and have almost 6 lbs.

But, definitely get some friends for your mason jar!

Smoke in good health!
JP
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
pepesdad1

avatar

Age : 74
Location : Tallahassee, Florida
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: First item in the cellar   Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:36 am

You are off to a good start.  Prices will never be cheaper than today.  

Better stock up before the Tax man strikes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

avatar

Age : 49
Location : Chantilly, Va
Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:24 am

Great start to your cellar. My wife gets mad at me because all of her mason jars for jam are disappearing! In fact I have to jar up a bunch of open tins today. I've been lazy about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trifecta13

avatar

Age : 37
Location : Peoria, IL
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:33 am

Fine way to start. LBF was my first bulk. Smoked half and am keeping the other half jarred up until it comes back around in my VaPer rotation. I tend to keep 1-2 open Englishes, an open VaPer, and the occasional oddball at hand. Once they're smoked through I move on to the next in the respective category.
d4klutz wrote:
 I have been cellaring for a month and have almost 6 lbs.
Good grief, sir! I have been storing/cellaring for a little over 2 years and am only around 7 lbs. affraid Either you need to slow down, or I need to speed up. I'm going with the latter... just don't tell my wife.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Souderton, PA
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:08 am

Hopefully I'll be able to manage my TAD, but time will tell. It seems just doubling up on orders now and then will keep me from going broke or getting divorced. Actually my wife is a real gem and very supportive. When I showed her the mason jars she pulled out a set of sealing ceramic canisters with metal clasps that she bought for me to use for tobacco! I'll keep these for the current rotation.
Now the challenge is deciding what to cellar. I smoke a lot of different blends but honestly have only a few go-to blends. I guess that simplifies things, but then again variety is nice..
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Milkmanv1

avatar

Location : Trenton
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:12 pm

I just placed an order with boswell's for a few ounces of their "Northwoods" which is a great latakia forward blend. I'm a pretty new pipe smoker, and even though I've never tried LBF, I got 4oz. Half to cellar, half to try out "fresh".

I also have some other things in the order I plan on cellaring too.

You've got to start somewhere (and LBF seems to be the place!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:42 pm

MichaelM wrote:
I never really considered cellaring tobacco, but after reading here a bit the idea started brewing in the back of my mind.  I went to the tobacconist today intending to get 4oz of PS luxury bullseye flake, and on impulse doubled the order. I picked up a set of mason jars on my way home and I now have a cellar.  That jar looks lonely though, so I'll need to get him some friends real soon :-)
Mike.

PS Birdseye is a good place to start on the cellaring.

May your cellar grow by leaps and bounds.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Briar Spirit

avatar

Age : 49
Location : England UK
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:21 am

PS-LBF is a superb blend, what a fine choice to get your cellar started with, worry not though as you lonesome mason jar shall 'soon' have many more friends, TAD is infectious and a demanding Mistress, enjoy the journey.  sunny 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Kalamazoo, MI
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:00 pm

MichaelM wrote:
It seems just doubling up on orders now and then will keep me from going broke or getting divorced.

That's a good way to start. Buy one to smoke and one for the cellar; before you know it, they'll be breeding down there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:53 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
That's a good way to start. Buy one to smoke and one for the cellar; before you know it, they'll be breeding down there.

This is true. I was looking in the back of my cupboard this weekend and I found a tin of Blackwoods Flake that I had no idea I had. They're having babies in there, I am sure of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rothnh



Location : Midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:25 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:
That's a good way to start. Buy one to smoke and one for the cellar; before you know it, they'll be breeding down there.

This is true. I was looking in the back of my cupboard this weekend and I found a tin of Blackwoods Flake that I had no idea I had. They're having babies in there, I am sure of it.

Haha! I've had that happen to me as well (I rely on memory,I don't keep a written inventory). Always a pleasant surprise  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rothnh



Location : Midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:29 pm

MichaelM wrote:
I never really considered cellaring tobacco, but after reading here a bit the idea started brewing in the back of my mind.  I went to the tobacconist today intending to get 4oz of PS luxury bullseye flake, and on impulse doubled the order. I picked up a set of mason jars on my way home and I now have a cellar.  That jar looks lonely though, so I'll need to get him some friends real soon :-)
Mike.

WTG-- you won't regret it. That PS Luxury Bulleye Flake greatly improves with a couple years of proper aging.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Kalamazoo, MI
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:54 pm

rothnh wrote:
DrumsAndBeer wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:
That's a good way to start. Buy one to smoke and one for the cellar; before you know it, they'll be breeding down there.

This is true. I was looking in the back of my cupboard this weekend and I found a tin of Blackwoods Flake that I had no idea I had. They're having babies in there, I am sure of it.

Haha!  I've had that happen to me as well (I rely on memory,I don't keep a written inventory).  Always a pleasant surprise  Wink 

Same here. Recently, I was reading an Escudo thread here thinking, "Do I have Escudo? I don't remember buying Escudo, but I'm pretty sure I've seen some in my foot locker / cellar." My friend, Abigail, is living in my apartment while I'm away, and I occasionally have her send me tobacco from my stash. I called her last weekend about the Escudo, but we got caught up in other conversation. Just as I was about to hang up, I remembered why I called and blurted out, "OH!! Oh! Oh! Look in my box! Do I have Escudo?"
Long Pause
Abbey: "Have a what?"
Me: "Escudo! Escudo!"
Abbey: "Oh my god! Are you having a stroke?"
 Suspect 
Turns out I did have some Escudo.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:59 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
rothnh wrote:
DrumsAndBeer wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:
That's a good way to start. Buy one to smoke and one for the cellar; before you know it, they'll be breeding down there.

This is true. I was looking in the back of my cupboard this weekend and I found a tin of Blackwoods Flake that I had no idea I had. They're having babies in there, I am sure of it.

Haha!  I've had that happen to me as well (I rely on memory,I don't keep a written inventory).  Always a pleasant surprise  Wink 

Same here. Recently, I was reading an Escudo thread here thinking, "Do I have Escudo? I don't remember buying Escudo, but I'm pretty sure I've seen some in my foot locker / cellar." My friend, Abigail, is living in my apartment while I'm away, and I occasionally have her send me tobacco from my stash. I called her last weekend about the Escudo, but we got caught up in other conversation. Just as I was about to hang up, I remembered why I called and blurted out, "OH!! Oh! Oh! Look in my box! Do I have Escudo?"
Long Pause
Abbey: "Have a what?"
Me: "Escudo! Escudo!"
Abbey: "Oh my god! Are you having a stroke?"
 Suspect 
Turns out I did have some Escudo.


Ahh! "Senior moments" beginning early George?  lol! lol! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cdymora

avatar

Age : 34
Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2014-04-19

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:38 pm

I'm weird when it comes to my cellar. I'm just getting started with it myself. If I find something I like, I'll jar it up and I won't smoke it, scared to death that one day will come that I won't be able to get anymore. Thats paranoia for you haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rothnh



Location : Midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:28 pm

cdymora wrote:
I'm weird when it comes to my cellar. I'm just getting started with it myself. If I find something I like, I'll jar it up and I won't smoke it, scared to death that one day will come that I won't be able to get anymore. Thats paranoia for you haha.

Well true, that has happened all too often over the years where a beloved blend disappears from the shelf.  That's one more reason why the policy, "buy enough to smoke some now and cellar the rest -- even if one usually buys one tin or puch at atime, buy two-- is a smart idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM



Age : 74
Location : Connecticut
Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:49 pm

By my count I'll run out of pipe tobacco when I turn 100. But I keep adding more to the hoard. Can't be too safe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flyguy

avatar

Age : 66
Location : Idaho
Registration date : 2013-11-23

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:50 pm

PS Bulls-eye is a great starter in your cellar. I have a pound divided into small 4 oz jars in my cellar. I am now doing my imitation of a duck sitting on a nest waiting the two years for deliciousness to set in.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rothnh



Location : Midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: First item in the cellar   Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:28 pm

flyguy wrote:
PS Bulls-eye is a great starter in your cellar.  I have a pound divided into small 4 oz jars in my cellar.  I am now doing my imitation of a duck sitting on a nest waiting the two years for deliciousness to set in.  Very Happy 

Absolutely.

Bullseye absolutely requires 1-2 years of cellaring. Two years or more recommended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
First item in the cellar
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Cellar Dad Fritzl On Murder Charge
» Wowhead [item][/item] bbcode module for WoW forums! :D
» An unusual airdropped item
» Amy Winehouse found dead
» Natascha Kampusch - abductor Wolfgang Priklopil

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Tobacco Cellars & Smoking Rooms-
Jump to: