HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Grow up! Put down that pipe!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:17 pm

When I went home to be with my mom before she passed, I had a run in with my aunt. Several actually, but this one in particular was over my pipe. I had been outside smoking waiting for my brother and sister in law to arrive. When they pulled into the driveway I put out my pipe and left it out on the front steps. When we walked in my aunt immediately started in on, "Which one of you was smoking? Oh my word I can smell it all the way over here." (It was Boswell's Cherry Smash btw, a very nice room note, my sister in law had just commented on how nice it smelled when we were walking up the front steps) I said that I had been enjoying my pipe while waiting. She followed up with, "Oh, your pipe, we're all wondering when you're going to grow up and give that up."

Really? Smoking a pipe is juvenile? This does not compute. I thought it was a very odd thing to say. It still boggles my mind a bit. Me taking up the pipe is juvenile. Huh, go figure. And here I thought it was typical of old men. Kind of like my other hobby, knitting, is typical of old women.

Last edited by Briarbabe on Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
flyguy

Registration date : 2013-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Not minding one's own business is pretty immature. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:01 pm

Nagging, now there's something older people do.  Wink

Last edited by DrumsAndBeer on Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:02 pm

Calmly and gently tell your aunt you'll consider quitting the pipe when you're as old as this darling right here:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:06 pm

Hey Briar Babe. A mantra that has always served me well in life is 'seek first to understand and then to be understood'. Perhaps your aunt would have been wise to seek understanding as to why you smoke a pipe...? Hey ho, you can choose your friends, but..........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:07 pm

....errrr, do you have her phone number Briar Spirit?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Stick wrote:

lol! lol! lol! 
She's quite a hottie.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Stick wrote:

She'd eat you alive Buddy.  lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Briar Spirit wrote:
Stick wrote:

That's what I was hoping. I say, ding dong!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:08 pm

I really love it when some people puff up there ego's trying to make someone believe there so much better then them by making anything they DON'T do childish or stupid.
Ya should have said, "I'll quit being childish when you quit being a Pompous Arse!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:10 pm

Stick wrote:
Briar Spirit wrote:
Stick wrote:

That's what I was hoping.  I say, ding dong!

Hey Stick, you touch something  that ripe and your Ding Dong will fall off.  5) 
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Stick wrote:
Briar Spirit wrote:
Stick wrote:

lol! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:46 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Stick wrote:
Briar Spirit wrote:
Stick wrote:

BAHAHAHAHAHA!
Back to top Go down
APKurt

Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:06 pm

My wife has an aunt just like this. It's almost as if she NEEDS conflict. She certainly doesn't miss an opportunity to try to make everyone around her feel bad. Most of the family avoids her like the plague and I can't imagine her keeping friends long with the negative attitude she flings about. I almost feel sorry for her because she's probably quite lonely. Maybe belittling others is a way for her to feel a little better about her own loneliness? I don't know.

I say I "almost" feel sorry for her because the moment I start having a little compassion for the woman, she turns around and says something rude to my wife or myself and I end up just saying "Why don't you just f**k right off, Michelle?" We're going on 3 years of not speaking to the woman and I couldn't be happier about it. I don't have time or space for rude, negative people in my life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:36 pm

APKurt wrote:
My wife has an aunt just like this.  It's almost as if she NEEDS conflict.  She certainly doesn't miss an opportunity to try to make everyone around her feel bad. Most of the family avoids her like the plague and I can't imagine her keeping friends long with the negative attitude she flings about.   I almost feel sorry for her because she's probably quite lonely. Maybe belittling others is a way for her to feel a little better about her own loneliness?  I don't know.  

I say I "almost" feel sorry for her because the moment I start having a little compassion for the woman, she turns around and says something rude to my wife or myself and I end up just saying "Why don't you just f**k right off, Michelle?"  We're going on 3 years of not speaking to the woman and I couldn't be happier about it.  I don't have time or space for rude, negative people in my life.

I think I know her, does she wear a pointed hat and ride a broom?
I hear they found a house sitting on top her. Wink 
Back to top Go down
APKurt

Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:46 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
APKurt wrote:
My wife has an aunt just like this.  It's almost as if she NEEDS conflict.  She certainly doesn't miss an opportunity to try to make everyone around her feel bad. Most of the family avoids her like the plague and I can't imagine her keeping friends long with the negative attitude she flings about.   I almost feel sorry for her because she's probably quite lonely. Maybe belittling others is a way for her to feel a little better about her own loneliness?  I don't know.  

I say I "almost" feel sorry for her because the moment I start having a little compassion for the woman, she turns around and says something rude to my wife or myself and I end up just saying "Why don't you just f**k right off, Michelle?"  We're going on 3 years of not speaking to the woman and I couldn't be happier about it.  I don't have time or space for rude, negative people in my life.

I think I know her, does she wear a pointed hat and ride a broom?
I hear they found a house sitting on top her. Wink 

lol! Yep! That's her!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:53 pm

I was watching the teevee last niight and a PSA came on, the point being to stop using words like nuts, crazy, wacko . . . Some may well object to the careless, impolite use of those words, but if they didn't have a clear connotation in particular applications they wouldn't exist. Practice the blank stare, followed by a very slight shaking of the head, followed by turning your back to the miscreant. Keep calm. Carry on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:26 am

KevinM wrote:
Practice the blank stare, followed by a very slight shaking of the head, followed by turning your back to the miscreant. Keep calm. Carry on.

Crikey, if BB's Aunt is anything like my late Aunt Ruby she'll get a face full of "don't you look at me like that young lady and don't you dare turn your back on me", the ear bashing would take a downwards turn real quick after that, dear Ruby didn't take kindly to folk trying to ignore her or reject her opinion, didn't pay to try either. I always found a confident resolution in my own choice allowed Ruby to respect my wishes, she may not have agreed with them but she did respect them, nadgers to picking a fight with an Aunt, aint worth the ear bashing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:53 am

Aunts can be a bother. While mothers have an endless supply of unconditional love, aunts mostly seem to have unconditional criticism. If she hadn't seen you smoking before you came in, she probably wouldn't have noticed and would have found something else wrong with you to bring to attention. My ex-wife had an older sister who would spot us (from inside) smoking on the front porch, with the doors and windows shut. She'd step up to the nearest window and start fake coughing. We'd pretend not to notice, and she'd just get louder and more animated. After a while, it was hard to keep a straight face. She'll make someone a good aunt someday. My elderly aunts would always sneak up on me at family weddings. They'd slyly poke me in the ribs and, with a silly wink, say "you're next" through grinning dentures.
They left me alone after I started doing the same to them at funerals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klause

Registration date : 2012-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:17 am

[quote]Practice the blank stare, followed by a very slight shaking of the head, followed by turning your back to the miscreant. Keep calm. Carry on.[/quote]

i like this, but i might add, after the slight shake of the head, a mild shrug of the shoulders (Gallic style) as a follow through.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:32 am

I'm grateful that the majority of my family see no problem with my pipe. The reason for this is most likely because their father (my grandfather) smoked a pipe for a long time before converting to chewing tobacco. My mom tells me things were better in life when he was smoking a pipe, as the chewing tobacco eventually led to his death.

It gives them nostalgia, no doubt.

In any case, I would not fret over your aunt's comments. Just brush off the comment and go about your business, for it is fairly clear that she is in need of some "growing up" with such a petty comment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:12 am

George Kaplan wrote:
My elderly aunts would always sneak up on me at family weddings. They'd slyly poke me in the ribs and, with a silly wink, say "you're next" through grinning dentures.

This I like  lol! 
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:01 am

George Kaplan wrote:
Aunts can be a bother. While mothers have an endless supply of unconditional love, aunts mostly seem to have unconditional criticism. If she hadn't seen you smoking before you came in, she probably wouldn't have noticed and would have found something else wrong with you to bring to attention. My ex-wife had an older sister who would spot us (from inside) smoking on the front porch, with the doors and windows shut. She'd step up to the nearest window and start fake coughing. We'd pretend not to notice, and she'd just get louder and more animated. After a while, it was hard to keep a straight face. She'll make someone a good aunt someday. My elderly aunts would always sneak up on me at family weddings. They'd slyly poke me in the ribs and, with a silly wink, say "you're next" through grinning dentures.
Your'e so nice George  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:42 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
 lol!  lol! 
And comments like this my friends is why we all missed George while he was M.I.A..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Grow up! Put down that pipe!   Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:53 pm

Briar Spirit -- Whew! Dear Aunt Ruby sounds like a holy terror. I like the gentle but firm approach -- accomplished mostly though gesture -- because it puts me firmly on the high ground and eliminates any I said / she (he) said follow up. I probably learned this approach from Dad who married into a large, argumentative Irish family who had to shout to survive. He'd have none of this. One of his very successful ploys was to wait for the relative to inhale, at which moment he would say, "Ah, very interesting. Excuse me," and then just walk away. Over time, people stopped using the bully routine on him, learned that normal conversations were possible even with people you disagreed with, and began to treat him with considerable deference. I hadn't thought about that for awhile, so thanks for reminding me:-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Grow up! Put down that pipe!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next