HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Esoterica St. Ives

Go down 
AuthorMessage
joshoowah

joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

Esoterica St. Ives Empty
PostSubject: Esoterica St. Ives   Esoterica St. Ives EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 4:39 pm

What's the dealio? This seems to be the last blend, along with Ramsgate, that is always available when the new Esoterica shipments come in.

Who has had it?
What do you think of it?
Is it even worth considering?
General thoughts?

I know it is an aromatic but English aromatics differ quite drastically from American ones, as the English typically use an essence blended with the tobacco instead of a casing.
Back to top Go down
TMacphersonNH

TMacphersonNH

Registration date : 2013-11-25

Esoterica St. Ives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Esoterica St. Ives   Esoterica St. Ives EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 pm

I have to say I'm on the fence on this one. Sometimes I feel like I'm smoking two distinct tobaccos. It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure they found a way to get everything to meld together. Much like Clauswitz said, " he who defends everything, ends up defending nothing at all". In some ways it feels like that - by trying to complete a unique convergence the sum together was much less than the parts separately.
Back to top Go down
joshoowah

joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

Esoterica St. Ives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Esoterica St. Ives   Esoterica St. Ives EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 5:07 pm

TMacphersonNH wrote:
I have to say I'm on the fence on this one. Sometimes I feel like I'm smoking two distinct tobaccos. It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure they found a way to get everything to meld together. Much like Clauswitz said, " he who defends everything, ends up defending nothing at all". In some ways it feels like that - by trying to complete a unique convergence the sum together was much less than the parts separately.

This is what I've been reading in other reviews found elsewhere, that is, the blend simply seems disjointed, un-unified, and unrefined.

I was curious though because many of the other Esoterica blends are delightful.
Back to top Go down
TMacphersonNH

TMacphersonNH

Registration date : 2013-11-25

Esoterica St. Ives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Esoterica St. Ives   Esoterica St. Ives EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 pm

joshoowah wrote:
TMacphersonNH wrote:

This is what I've been reading in other reviews found elsewhere, that is, the blend simply seems disjointed, un-unified, and unrefined.

I was curious though because many of the other Esoterica blends are delightful.

I don't want to make it sound like its an awful smoke, just something that I wouldn't purchase again. Like you Josh I really enjoy several other of their blends.
Back to top Go down
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

Esoterica St. Ives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Esoterica St. Ives   Esoterica St. Ives EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 9:23 pm

St. Ives was the only blend that I returned to my B&M and then asked for no credit whatsoever. I considered the entire experience a lesson in being foolhardy and assuming I would like an expensive blend based on price and brand reputation. After smoking two or three bowls from my 4 ounce purchase I knew I had made a gross error.

Never again an aromatic English. Never.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Esoterica St. Ives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Esoterica St. Ives   Esoterica St. Ives EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 1:44 am

After being a fan of Penzance years ago, and having had a life long love affair with Stonehaven I came upon some Blackpool and was shocked at how much I liked it. That very light licorice/dark coffee aroma laid in there in the Lakeland manner, the gorgeous tobacco flavor shining through all the while, the excellent manners, the long clean burn...wow! What's not to like. Then there's the big brother...Ramsgate. And more recently I've added Dunbar and Dorchester to the pile of 'gotta have on hand' blends. Now THOSE are two total classics!

But St.Ives? Well, every family has a bad apple in the barrel.

Esoterica St. Ives D6bddf10Esoterica St. Ives 29400910Esoterica St. Ives 114e6110Esoterica St. Ives Ddb39b10Esoterica St. Ives Cf77ce10Esoterica St. Ives Dd692012Esoterica St. Ives Cowboy11
Back to top Go down

Esoterica St. Ives
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: