HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Ghosting Blends

Go down 
AuthorMessage
joshoowah

joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 am

As most of us know, every blend ghosts a pipe at least somewhat; however, there are always blends that leave their mark perpetually until cleaned thoroughly, even then the ghost may still remain.

I have created this thread for information purposes in regards to those blends that ghost more heavily than others. Post your thoughts.

I will start it off:

MacBaren Vanilla Cream - this blend, though good, will leave a ghost so fierce behind that one cannot help but think of Mr. Scrooge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 am

If it smells like it might, it probably will.

Anything with latakia.
Most all blends listed as aromatics.

RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 10:14 am

Well, I know as a fact that Lakelands ghost terribly because of the estate Meer that
I have. Took me sometime and many cleanings to tame it down and it still has a slight hint at the bottom of the bowl. It may have even leached into the vulcanite stem.
Latakia is another but, it has been easily exercised in most cases concerning the pipes I have dealt with. This is surely no secret to most but, I thought it worth mentioning. Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 10:22 am

Anything cherry! Put cherry in a pipe and it's a cherry pipe. ...At least from my experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
joshoowah

joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 10:29 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Well, I know as a fact that Lakelands ghost terribly because of the estate Meer that  
I have. Took me sometime and many cleanings to tame it down and it still has a slight hint at the bottom of the bowl. It may have even leached into the vulcanite stem.
Latakia is another but, it has been easily exercised in most cases concerning the pipes I have dealt with. This is surely no secret to most but, I thought it worth mentioning. Wink 

Indeed, Latakia, perique, and even fuller Virginia blends can ghost a pipe, but typically after about a dozen bowls of something else it fades into oblivion (this is without any type of cleaning).

Lakeland blends are awful when it comes to ghosting. I would suggest anyone smoking these to either dedicate a pipe to them or use a cob.

Erinmore is also notorious for ghosting; thus many dedicate a particular pipe to the blend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 10:48 am

I have never really minded ghosting in a pipe. It will eventually burn out. But my tastes are very eclectic--and it's a good thing they are, because I have three pipes with which I've been trying to finish a tin of the aforementioned MacB's Vanilla Cream. After that, no more VC. So my Penzance tastes for a while of vanilla. No big deal.  affraid 

I'm kidding, a little bit. But from now on I think my occasional ventures into the world of aromatics will be limited to corn cobs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 10:51 am

joshoowah wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Indeed, Latakia, perique, and even fuller Virginia blends can ghost a pipe, but typically after about a dozen bowls of something else it fades into oblivion (this is without any type of cleaning).

Lakeland blends are awful when it comes to ghosting. I would suggest anyone smoking these to either dedicate a pipe to them or use a cob.

Erinmore is also notorious for ghosting; thus many dedicate a particular pipe to the blend.

I never thought of Perique as ghosting but, you are correct. I've noticed it from time to time when smoking a straight Virgina that it tastes a little more like a Vaper.  5) 
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 12:16 pm

I think much of this "ghosting" phenomonen  is due to the multi-types smoking that's done by todays smokers. Back when I started smoking, most smokers smoked one, two or maybe three types at the most and most were basically variations of a certain type. I know for the first thirty years of my smoking I smoked mainly Dunhill 965 and BS 759 with an occasional bowl of Various English/Balkan blends thrown in for some variety at times. So my pipes just tasted like "my pipes" I will say when I smoked the occasional bowl of a Lakelands style or a Perique heavy blend, there was just a touch of it initially when I returned to my usual blend but nothing really big. Since I smoke mostly straight Va's and a couple of Balkans these days I've still not experienced much of this "ghosting" . And I'm not a big "estate" smoker owning just three estates out of the 90+ pipes I own. As far as the " Lakelands" blends go, I don't like how most of them taste and smoke ( and over 40 years of smoking have tried just about all of them so don't now smoke ANY) so I don't have THAT to deal with  Twisted Evil All his makes me glad I'm an "old fart" smoker   Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 1:01 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I'm an "old fart" smoker

Hehe. Monbla smokes farts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 1:50 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
I'm an "old fart" smoker

Hehe. Monbla smokes farts.

I said that just for you George  Twisted Evil  I knew you were sick enough to pick up on it  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 7:52 pm

For me, Lakelands ghost a pipe worse than anything. I'm still getting an occasional waft of old ladies perfume in a pipe I sent to Walker which spent a full week in his ozone chamber. Thankfully it's only noticeable in the last few puffs of the bowl, and I figure I can smoke the ghost out of this in due course.

Did I ever mention I hate Lakelands?

Mad 

Cheers,

RR

Ghosting Blends Purple11x 2Ghosting Blends Bombx10  Ghosting Blends Bombx4Ghosting Blends D6bddf10 Ghosting Blends 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Old Lady Lakeland is definitely a bad one. Since I don't smoke hardly any Lakelands that hasn't been a problem. The hardest ghosts to exorcise seem to be the heavy Lats and pungent goopy aromatics. The more they are smoked out of one pipe the worse the ghost.

I smoke a lot of Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake and have several pipes devoted to it. If I happen to smoke a normal Va or VaPer out of those I do get a hint of Vanilla in the smoke, but I don't really consider that a terrible thing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
gravel

gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Ghosting Blends Ig2xJGh
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Lakelands ghost like the Dickens. Personally I love them but I don't want my briars tasting like them. I keep them in Cobs and clays.

Sutliff Molto Dolce, I smoked through a tin of that. Good lord does it ghost! If you really like aro's, there's a good chance that that stuff will make your rotation. Pure Crack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 10:45 am

Anything with deer tongue in it will go all poltergeist on a pipe. C&D Crooner, I'm looking in your direction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 2:26 pm

Lakeland love in full force here but even I have separate pipes for DFS and Grasmere. Or 1792 and Kendal flake. For example.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 7:38 pm

fsu92john wrote:
Anything with deer tongue in it will go all poltergeist on a pipe. C&D Crooner, I'm looking in your direction.

Yes, this without a doubt!

Fortunately it doesn't seem as stubborn as Lakelands. But I also suppose it depends on how many bowls have been run through it.

Cheers,

RR

Ghosting Blends Purple11x 2Ghosting Blends Bombx10  Ghosting Blends Bombx4Ghosting Blends D6bddf10 Ghosting Blends 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
TMacphersonNH

TMacphersonNH

Registration date : 2013-11-25

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 9:32 am

fsu92john wrote:

I completely agree. I had an old pipe similar to Bings in college and thought "what the hell...let's smoke what he smoked". I don't think I ever smoked anything with deer tongue again and unfortunately could never use the pipe again without wincing at the first light.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 10:34 am

Okay! I gotta ask, is this a joke? What in tarnation is "Deer Tongue"? Ghosting Blends Dont-k10

Never mind, I see! 5) 
---Synonyms---Vanilla Leaf. Wild Vanilla. Trilissia odorata.
---Part Used---Leaves.
---Habitat---North America: cultivated in England.

---Description---Herbaceous perennial plant, composite distinguished by a naked receptacle, oblong, imbricated, involucre, and a feathery pappus, fleshy basal leaves obolanceolate, terminating in a flattened stalk. Leaves of stem clasping at base. The leaves are used to flavour tobacco. Their perfume is largely due to Coumarin, which can be seen in crystals on the upper side of the smooth spatulate leaves. Most of the species are used medicinally.

---Medicinal Action and Uses---Demulcent, febrifuge, diaphoretic.

YUUUUK! Ghosting Blends Stars10
Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 12:12 pm

Coumarine is also in Tonka Bean. So is there any flavor crossover between deertongue and Tonquin blends I'm familiar with? Never had deer tongue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 2:43 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Coumarine is also in Tonka Bean.  So is there any flavor crossover between deertongue and Tonquin blends I'm familiar with? Never had deer tongue.

Both tonka and deer tongue are associated with vanilla-like aroma. I definitely get some of the warm vanilla notes from 1792, which I love, but to me deer tongue has more of an herbal scent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

Ghosting Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghosting Blends   Ghosting Blends EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 7:42 pm

I have a pipe with a bit of a Lakeland ghost that I think is slowly diminishing. But my "go to" tobaks are plain jane Virginias from Stokk and MacB. Sometimes they can use a little something. Although I wouldn't like full-strength Lakelands, the slight, receding ghost will be kinda missed when it's gone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Ghosting Blends
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: