HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Double dose of crow.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Double dose of crow.   Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:16 pm

I said I didn't really care for Savinelli pipes. I said I didn't like Classic Burley Kake.

My experience with Savinelli was a few old vulcanite stemmed pipes (an Autograph, a couple of Capri Roots, and a couple other old pipes here and there). Didn't like em. Probably still wouldn't like those particular pipes. But for some time now I've been paying atention to the modern Savinellis, listening to the positive reviews, noticing the interesting series they produce with acrylic stems. Finally bit the bullet and got a Trevi Rustic 607 saddle bit billiard (cigars international, $52). This sucker is a damned good smoking pipe. And I even like the balsa filter. Surprised myself!

I tried a few ounces of Classic Burley Kake when it first came out and thought it was pretty bland. I remember having to add some sweet rum twist to it to make it smokeable. On a lark I added some to a recent order and damned if it isn't a really good smoke. Doesn't taste at all like I remember (though that was several years ago).

Gotta admit when I'm wrong. Kinda glad I gave these another shot.

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Double dose of crow.   Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:45 pm

I have one Savinelli and it's a great smoker. It's a Hercules 315EX. It's great for Latakia.

I enjoyed Classic Burley Kake, & I usually don't get along with straight burley blends. The only thing I found off-putting was the tine note, which smells oddly like Pla-Doh.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Double dose of crow.   Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:05 pm

Yeah, I opened the tin and smelled a weird fruity thing going on and thought Uh Oh... But I dried some out for a bit and when I lit it up it was quite the pleasant surprise. Nothing grand or complicated, just a good basic steady smoke, better than most attempts at a simple burley based Americana-esque smoke. No bite, slightly sweet, never gets bitter. It still falls below Uhle's 00 and the GH & co Black and Brown I've been smoking which is more interesting, but it's definitely worth having around.

MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Double dose of crow.   Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:42 pm

The Savs I've had have all been pretty good. I only have one left, but it's a total keeper. Maybe it's more a vulcanite aversion?

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeterD

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Double dose of crow.   Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:21 am

...I've purchased a number of Savinelli pipes over the past 10 years and find them to be quite nice...all are good smokers and the quality of workmanship seems to be a continuing improvement over those pipes produced 15-20 years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Double dose of crow.   Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:31 am

MisterE wrote:
Maybe it's more a vulcanite aversion?

I definitely do not get along with most vulcanite stems, has been the case for quite some time now. Sometimes they're just fine on newer pipes, I have a couple that are fine, but old vulcanite ruins a pipe with an old rubber taste I cannot get past.

PeterD wrote:
...the quality of workmanship seems to be a continuing improvement over those pipes produced 15-20 years ago.

Indeed. This pipe has a much better draw and much better drilling than any of the older Savs I had. Totally different engineering. The acrylic stem is finished well too. This pipe smokes as well as my late era Danish made Stanwells, which I consider to be the best smoking blue collar factory made pipes ever produced. Of course this is just one specimen, but it's good enough to warrant further exploration into the brand.

PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Double dose of crow.   Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:52 am

I have 3 Savinellis (had 4, sold one, shouldn't have it was a nice one too),,,

they're all new and they all smoke very well...and they were all around $100 or less...and I'm always eyeballing more Savs. I keep telling myself, "Diversify, don't buy only Savinelli's" but then I find several Savs that I really like, and I keep adding them to the wishlist...

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Double dose of crow.   Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Always good to see another Sav convert. I have 6, none were expensive, and they've all been great smokers.

Classic Burley Cake I can't comment on yet. Think I have a tin but haven't opened it yet.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com

Double dose of crow.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1