HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:45 am

This is a subject that has always bothered me for as long as I've been a member on eBay.
Now, I'm not new to it at all being a member there for over ten years and I've always paid immediately after the auction closes or on very rare occasions a several minutes later. And on one or maybe even two other times, after previously asking the seller if it be okay to pay a little late, as in a day because I really wanted the item but, wouldn't have the funds till the next day and was granted that by the seller before even bidding.
But, what I don't understand is why some just take it upon themselves to wait till the very last minute before paying without any communication to the seller even when prompted by said seller. My thoughts are sellers on eBay don't have a layaway plan nor do they sell just out of it being so much fun but, because they need the money. I hardly think that you'll find any place that lets you purchase anything and walk out the door, even though your not taking it with you, without first paying or making arrangements to pay a little later. Specially in real life auctions, you better have money in your pocket to pay or you'll give up the right to the item or items or be showed the door before even bidding.
If you haven't yet guessed, Yes I'm a seller and for the most part a buyer on eBay, only selling when need be. No fun involved. I pay on time, that means at end of auction or at a agreed time that the seller and the buyer have previously arranged. There's a golden rule that also pertains to this situation, "Do unto others as you would want done unto you" (paraphrased). So, without further ado, lets hear your reasoning pro or con on this subject.
Maybe I should have put this in the rubber room but, I reckon we'll see what the Mod's think and leave it up there discretion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
allyby

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Scotland
Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:53 am

I pay the piper straight away, means I get it quicker.

Well in most cases anyway!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:01 am

allyby wrote:
I pay the piper straight away, means I get it quicker.

Well in most cases anyway!

That's certainly how I feel Ally! Wink 
And if the seller doesn't get it off to me promptly it's on him, at least
I've done my part promptly and properly.

Now, this goes without saying, I understand that SOMETIMES there's a problem
that can't be avoided, like sickness, had to work late, emergencies, and even death.
But, some take advantage of these excuses and use them on a regular basis instead
of being considerate to others. In other words, just being SELF-CENTERED.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
herbinedave

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Anthracite Coal Fields of PA
Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:05 am

Immediately!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Valley City, OH
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:31 am

Me too...I've always paid immediately. I've even received messages from sellers like "Thanks for paying so quickly, that's rare" and I'm always baffled by that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:39 am

PozzSka wrote:
Me too...I've always paid immediately.  I've even received messages from sellers like "Thanks for paying so quickly, that's rare" and I'm always baffled by that.

Glad to see I'm not one of a few just yet, and Pozz, I ALWAYS contact the buyer after they pay promptly with a thank you and let them know that there item will be in the mail the next morning. Even if they haven't paid promptly, I ALWAYS notify them that there item will be shipped the next day or the following Monday if it ends on a weekend.
That's how things should be done but, I rarely get a reply from a buyer, even when I tell them I've opted to ship the item Priority out of my pocket instead of 1st class or Parcel Post for which they paid.  scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:54 am

Immediately! No sence beating round the bush.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
Moderator
avatar

Location : Mexico City
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:56 am

Not everyone in eBay land has the same sense of honor as you do, Cart.

I always pay at closing. My one and only only glitch was discovering my CC had expired when I tried to use PayPal a few years ago. I solved the problem within hours but it unnerved me. I hate not being able to take care of it right away. Especially when you really do have the money and the only problem is getting it there.   Embarassed  Evil or Very Mad

_________________
Many of the greatest pleasures in life are illegal, immoral, or smelly.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:14 pm

MisterE wrote:
Not everyone in eBay land has the same sense of honor as you do, Cart.

I always pay at closing. My one and only only glitch was discovering my CC had expired when I tried to use PayPal a few years ago. I solved the problem within hours but it unnerved me. I hate not being able to take care of it right away. Especially when you really do have the money and the only problem is getting it there.   Embarassed  Evil or Very Mad

Oh Don't I know your right "E", the world is filled with selfish little people.
I'm just glad to know that are some that know how and why to do the right things in life.
It's just a shame I don't get many of them patronizing me when I sell on eBay. 5)

And Jim, there was no question that you would. Wink

I don't think we'll hear anyone to the contrary on this subject, hopefully it has changed there minds on how to conduct themselves properly dealing on eBay and all other aspects in life, I hope.


Last edited by Cartaphilus on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
millerman

avatar

Age : 41
Location : Dry Fork, VA
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:18 pm

Immediately. Most of the time if I'm going to be home when the auction is over. I'll pay as soon as I win. If I'm away at work or whatever, I'll pay as soon as I get home. I agree ," do unto others as you would have done unto you ".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:25 pm

millerman wrote:
Immediately. Most of the time if I'm going to be home when the auction is over. I'll pay as soon as I win. If I'm away at work or whatever, I'll pay as soon as I get home. I agree ," do unto others as you would have done unto you ".

Good to hear it Mr.Miller, not that I doubt anyone here, it's just I don't know many of you all enough to really know.  Wink 
Kinda like, you know who your friends really are after you loan them money.  Suspect 

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
RonA3597

avatar

Age : 68
Location : Lawrenceville, GA
Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:27 pm

Immediately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:34 pm

RonA3597 wrote:
Immediately.

Hey your names Ron, so that goes without saying. Wink


Last edited by Cartaphilus on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
idbowman

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Painesville, OH
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:38 pm

I pay immediately.

The only exception is if I'm on the road or something at work keeps me preoccupied that I can't monitor the closing of the auction - in which case I pay as soon as I get the notification/reminder that I won.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LordTemplar

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Louisville, Kentucky
Registration date : 2014-01-16

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:54 pm

I practically pay before I bid, LOL. I always pay immediately!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:59 pm

I'm glad to see that there are more of us and I know what you mean LT, I try and see if I can beat the invoice before it gets to me sometimes. I've become pretty good at typing fast when I want to be, even for being a two finger plucker. Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:16 pm

I caught myself thinking again this year, Yeah I know, that's dangerous. But anyway, I was thinking if they can develop a sniper program that bids for you automatically at a certain time, why not develop one that PAYS for you at the end of an auction. Then no one would have to wait on the selfish or the few that have had emergencies or unexpected difficulties from time to time. And it would make it even easier for the prompt and proper ones too. Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
herbinedave

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Anthracite Coal Fields of PA
Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:23 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
I caught myself thinking again this year, Yeah I know, that's dangerous. But anyway, I was thinking if they can develop a sniper program that bids for you automatically at a certain time, why not develop one that PAYS for you at the end of an auction. Then no one would have to wait on the selfish or the few that have had emergencies or unexpected difficulties from time to time. And it would make it even easier for the prompt and proper ones too. Wink 
Hmm a program that has control of your payment information. I don't think I would want to be a part of it. I will just do it the old fashioned was of using paypal!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:53 pm

herbinedave wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
I caught myself thinking again this year, Yeah I know, that's dangerous. But anyway, I was thinking if they can develop a sniper program that bids for you automatically at a certain time, why not develop one that PAYS for you at the end of an auction. Then no one would have to wait on the selfish or the few that have had emergencies or unexpected difficulties from time to time. And it would make it even easier for the prompt and proper ones too. Wink 
Hmm a program that has control of your payment information.  I don't think I would want to be a part of it.  I will just do it the old fashioned was of using paypal!!!

Ah! But you see, PayPal has the same control. When your balance is low or zero it takes it from your Bank account to pay for the item. So what would be the difference? In fact if PayPal could do it it be even better see'en they already have your info and permission. The only down side is would there be a charge for it and how much?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
scotties22

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Missouri
Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:20 pm

I always pay immediately.

I did forget about a pipe that I had bid on last year though. Something hinky was going on with my email and I didn't get the notification that I had won...that'll teach me to rely on my phone to dowload messages when they come through. I just randomly logged in the day after the auction and saw the winning bid. It was a Monday and payday wasn't until Friday. I sent the seller an email asap to let them know what was going on. 12:01am Friday morning I paid for the pipe.

It was dumb on my part to forget about the auction and that I spent the money on something else in the mean time. I would never not communicate with a seller to try to sherk my responsibility or stretch them out for the payment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Missouri
Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:21 pm

That's why I try to stick to "buy it now" auctions
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:58 pm

scotties22 wrote:
I always pay immediately.

I did forget about a pipe that I had bid on last year though.  Something hinky was going on with my email and I didn't get the notification that I had won...that'll teach me to rely on my phone to dowload messages when they come through.  I just randomly logged in the day after the auction and saw the winning bid.  It was a Monday and payday wasn't until Friday.  I sent the seller an email asap to let them know what was going on.  12:01am Friday morning I paid for the pipe.

It was dumb on my part to forget about the auction and that I spent the money on something else in the mean time.  I would never not communicate with a seller to try to sherk my responsibility or stretch them out for the payment.

That's completely understandable Scottie, as we get a bit on in age  Wink  sometimes things slip by but, not without knowing what we must do to resolve them responsibly.
Besides everyone is allowed one or two boo boo's in life as long as they learn from them. Suspect 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Puff Daddy
Moderator
avatar

Age : 53
Location : South of heaven
Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:22 pm

Ebay's present policy is if a buyer has not paid for an auction within 48 hours you can open a non payment dispute, at which time ebay acts as a mediator to try to get you paid. After 4 days of that (6 days total) you can give negative feedback to a buyer, file for a retraction of all selling fees associated with the auction, and relist the item.

I just went through this, first hand information.

The short answer, according to this policy, pay within 48 hours if you want positive feedback, or within 6 days if you want to push the seller and chance a negative action.

I would assume if you asked for and got an OK on a different payment schedule before bidding, then ebay would honor that.

_________________
These are horrible times and all sorts of horrible people are prospering, but we must never let this disturb our equanimity or deflect us from our sacred duty to annoy and hinder them at every turn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPUD 15

avatar

Age : 70
Location : Winter Springs Florida
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:25 pm

Cart I agree with you 100%. I pay immediately. I also give feedback immediately to buyers when they pay. There are a lot of sellers that will only give feedback after feedback is received. MIKE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?   Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:40 pm

I used to pay right away.
Now I don't do ebay.
PeePail demanded that I become "verified."
This meant opening another credit card with
them or give them access to my bank account.
Neither of those things were gonna happen,
so screw ebay and PeePail. I spose they don't miss me.
Interesting way to get rid of a good customer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Cyberbullying against veterans could prompt suicides, army warned

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: