HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Wishful shopping

Go down 
AuthorMessage
joshoowah

joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

Wishful shopping Empty
PostSubject: Wishful shopping   Wishful shopping EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 3:44 am

Do any of you ever just go to a pipe-related site and start adding tins of tobacco you're interested in just to see what it comes out to? I find myself doing this more lately. I never purchase though, probably because in good conscience I can't.

I just went to P&C and added every tobacco that has peaked my interest or that I simply enjoy. $350 total. Mind you, this was with a maximum of 2 tins per blend, with many only being 1 tin. Ah, 'tis the life to dream.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Registration date : 2007-12-10

Wishful shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wishful shopping   Wishful shopping EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 7:38 am

Well, kinda. Only I usually pull the trigger.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

Wishful shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wishful shopping   Wishful shopping EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 8:06 am

Never done it quite that way but, I have wish lists that are very long to say the least.
But, I've been known to when shopping in a real life store to gather up what I want in the cart to only put most of it back while talking myself out of most of it. You know, "yeah I need this like a hole in the head, and this is garbage you'll just get fat on, and that's just too pricey" etc. etc.  5)

Last edited by Cartaphilus on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
d4klutz

d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

Wishful shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wishful shopping   Wishful shopping EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 8:23 am

I do that all the time. I then sleep on it and go through it again the next day. I do this until my order fits my budget. Lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
SteveS

SteveS

Location : Where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars.
Registration date : 2013-11-19

Wishful shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wishful shopping   Wishful shopping EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 8:24 am

joshoowah wrote:
Do any of you ever just go to a pipe-related site and start adding tins of tobacco ... ?

Given the statistics, it's likely that each among us has done so ... I used to sell software to mid-sized online vendors that provided insight into this and other issues involved in maintaining their Websites ...

Despite the fact that partially loaded shopping carts are seldom seen abandoned in the aisles of brick/mortar stores, e-tailers have an average abandonment rate of 67% ... yes, that's right ... for every sale an e-tailer makes, he has two abandoned shopping carts to deal with ... different segments of the market have differing rates of abandonment, but 67% is the overall average ... reasons for this vary ...

Wishful shopping Statisia
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milkmanv1

Milkmanv1

Registration date : 2014-03-12

Wishful shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wishful shopping   Wishful shopping EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 9:13 am

I did that on P&C recently. Sometimes it helps to get a feel for what you want, then whatever you can talk yourself out of whatever you don't need, then pull the trigger once you've narrowed down the cart to an order you can afford.

Its online window shopping!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

Wishful shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wishful shopping   Wishful shopping EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 10:13 am

After 40+ years of smoking, there's not many blends/mixtures I really want to try, just my usual 5 or 6 "standards" I smoke regularly so never have this "problem", but I am a devotee of the KISS principle in living  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

Wishful shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wishful shopping   Wishful shopping EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 10:29 am

I do that all the time. It helps me remember which blends I was wanting to try the most. Even when I do order, I almost always have to whittle down. I don't order often, since I usually try to hit the $100 free shipping threshold.

It also helps when a great deal pops up, like what P&C ran on IPSD. I got a Nana Ivarsson Stanwell pipe and a TON of goodies for $75. I knew I wanted some LBF and wanted to try some C&D Burley, so 8oz here and 4 oz there quickly got my order in at $100 before the pipe I wanted went OOS. BTW, I sold the pouch that came in that deal for $30, so I got the pipe and more than a pound of tobacco for $70.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Wishful shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wishful shopping   Wishful shopping EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 7:39 pm

I've done this in the past, in order to see what the total would be. Problem is, that if I go through the exercise I'm liable to carry through with it too.

Embarassed 

Cheers,

RR

Wishful shopping Purple11x 2Wishful shopping Bombx10  Wishful shopping Bombx4Wishful shopping D6bddf10 Wishful shopping 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
gravel

gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

Wishful shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wishful shopping   Wishful shopping EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 9:50 am

I buy far less than I used to. If I do fill a cart I am also doing the same cart at other vendors and comparing costs.

I don't worry about the free shipping threshold. It's still $60 more than what I typically spend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

Wishful shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wishful shopping   Wishful shopping EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 10:59 am

gravel wrote:
I buy far less than I used to. If I do fill a cart I am also doing the same cart at other vendors and comparing costs.

I don't worry about the free shipping threshold. It's still $60 more than what I typically spend.

I do the comparison shopping as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

Wishful shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wishful shopping   Wishful shopping EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 2:16 pm

Did it once at 4noggins, was curious to see how much it would cost for some blends across the pond, I still had a ton of things I was curious about and my basket was already over $980, that was the end of that little fantasy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

Wishful shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wishful shopping   Wishful shopping EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 2:32 pm

Yep, I too enjoy "online window shopping" and end up buying nothing more often than not. When I do buy, it's during a sale/promotion and I gather enough items to score the free shipping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Wishful shopping
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: