HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A grumble... tin art.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:15 am

So, I have just taken delivery of SG's Firedance and a tin of Black Cherry.  They are my first tins, everything else having been loose or packets.  I must say, I'm disappointed with legislated packaging.  Here's what I mean...  Part of the appeal for most of my hobbies is the collecting aspect.  For example, I enjoy my collection of trout flies and my CD collection.  They're tactile, attractive, pleasing to the eye and evoke different thoughts, memories and emotions.  So, upon seeing the images on the B&M's site, i figured I'd feel the same way about the tins.  Take for example SG's Sqn Ldr, or Robert McConnell's Glen Piper; they're attractive pieces.  Not so.  Completely spoiled by the fact you can't remove the health warnings.  And here's my beef.  I know the risks; I'm 44 and would consider myself to be reasonably well educated and worldly wise.  Why can't the companies just display the warnings at the point of purchase or at least make them removable?  That way everyone's happy.  
End of message, end of broadcast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:31 am

Some of the guys on this side of the pond won't know of what you speak. On our side of the pond they do not cover half the tin in a bold type warning. Nor is there gruesome pictures.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:41 am

Apologies Carlos.  For the un-initiated...

All tobacco packaging in the UK comes with a complimentary ( Rolling Eyes ) health warning stating in large black lettering words to the effect of 'Smoking Kills', or, 'Smoking seriously harms you and others around you'.  You also get a free ( Rolling Eyes ) picture of a dead person in a morgue with their face covered or a picture of a pair of tarred up lungs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:12 am

Stick wrote:
Apologies Carlos.  For the un-initiated...

All tobacco packaging in the UK comes with a complimentary ( Rolling Eyes ) health warning stating in large black lettering words to the effect of 'Smoking Kills', or, 'Smoking seriously harms you and others around you'.  You also get a free ( Rolling Eyes ) picture of a dead person in a morgue with their face covered or a picture of a pair of tarred up lungs.

Stick, I'm as sorry about it as you are but, we can all thank the state of California and there whining stick there nose into every bodies business law makers to make a buck mentality for ALL the cockamamie warning labels. Wondering why there not on alcohol, seeing it kills probably more per year then tobacco ever did, directly and non-directly.   Suspect

Have you tried a heat gun or hair drier to pull them off? I find it works well of many things to get stickers off (No pun intended).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Stick

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:26 am

... good point about alcohol Ron. We have (an embarrassing) tradition of drinking to excess here in Blighty. Taking a trip into town on a Saturday night is a real eye opener. The government is that worried about its effects some counties have 'coolers' where drunks are placed, monitored and cared for by qualified paramedics until they've sobered up. But still no warnings on bottles or cans.

Good idea with the hair dryer, although the warning on the tin of Black Cherry is integrated into the label  5) .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:35 am

We have the same thing here on all tobacco products. Unsightly for sure. In fact, the laws here are so strict that if packaging doesn't have those warnings, it can't be imported. If I order a pound of any tobacco in bulk, they won't allow it in the country because there's no horrific picture with warning in español.  Suspect 

In other words, imports of tobacco are basically forbidden now.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:45 am

Stick, That figures that it be part of the label, heaven forbid anyone was able to remove it before or after sale.

Mr. "E", That is sad, what a crock @$#%&*! Sometimes I think I'll be glad when I'm dead an gone and the government will no longer be able to try an control me or constantly look over my shoulder. Of course there more then welcome to try and come with me when I die.
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:40 am

The purpose of these self-ordained do-gooders is to irritate. They don't like you. They tell you not to smoke, yet you do. What the hell is wrong with you! Obey! Obey! Obey! I am your superior in every way! Kneel to my magnificence!

(Oh. By the way. Cough up the funds for my existence. I'll send the tax boys around to pick up the loot you don't need. You crook you. You probably stole it anyhow.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Stick

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:11 am

RB - On the nail.  lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:27 am

I have a few tins with the 60-70% warning label coverage. I just heat them up with a hair dryer and peel enough to cut off the offending garbage. Sucks to lose all that label space.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:24 pm

My favorite Virginia flake is called "Smoking Kills," I highly recommend it.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:39 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
My favorite Virginia flake is called "Smoking Kills,"  I highly recommend it.  Wink 

That's pretty good stuff, especially with a few years of age on it.
This thread has given me an idea fore a business opportunity. I can sell all my empty U.S. tins to pipe smokers overseas! Sorry, Stick. I haven't got a Firedance.  Razz 
For your collector's interest, however, you might enjoy this older thread:
http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t14567-wanted-pics-of-your-old-tobacco-tins
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:08 pm

I doubt CA had much impact on packaging in europe.

take a heat gun to the label and get as much as you can.
then get yourself some 'Goo Gone' and you should be able to get them off if you are persistent.

you could order from the US as none of my tins have stickers on the lids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:42 pm

Upon Ron and Bullwinkle’s suggestions, I decided I had the ability to remove the sticker (aka the government) from my nice tin art (aka my life). So, practicing some good old fashioned common sense I set about trying to work with the sticker. I soon discovered that it was going to be harder than I first thought. In fact it soon became so irritating it felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall. No matter how I looked at it, it seemed to defy all logic. None the less I soldiered on, aware that in doing so it was actually ruining the quality of the tin art. Knowing my tin art could have turned out better had the sticker not been applied in the first place, I ended up having to settle for a poor outcome. And I was under the impression that the sticker was there to improve the quality of my tin art….  Suspect 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:47 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
DrumsAndBeer wrote:
My favorite Virginia flake is called "Smoking Kills,"  I highly recommend it.  Wink 

That's pretty good stuff, especially with a few years of age on it.
This thread has given me an idea fore a business opportunity. I can sell all my empty U.S. tins to pipe smokers overseas! Sorry, Stick. I haven't got a Firedance.  Razz 
For your collector's interest, however, you might enjoy this older thread:
http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t14567-wanted-pics-of-your-old-tobacco-tins

Thanks George. You see that's what I'm talking about. They're just nice tins to look at. Why would anyone want to put a picture of a dead person on anything like that?  scratch 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:06 pm

Sorry to hear it went south on ya sir. It's just plan and simple propaganda I tell ya.
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Sorry to hear it went south on ya sir. It's just plan and simple propaganda I tell ya.

It actually went ok Ron and I was pleased with the results. But I noticed a smile creep across my face as it proved trickier than I first thought; it struck me that my struggle was analogous with our day to day frustrations with our governments hence my attempt at satire above...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:51 pm

Stick mate, I can understand your frustration. That would annoy me as well.

Take heart that it's only the tin art that's affected. And that the product within is unaffected.

For now, anyroad!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:54 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:

I'm a fan of that same Va. flake, except here they label it Fumar Provoca Impotencia (smoking causes impotence). It's the export version, I believe. Rolling Eyes

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Take heart that it's only the tin art that's affected. And that the product within is unaffected.
RR

Wise words as always my friend...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:36 pm

Why haven't you folks over there begun putting the corresponding warnings on Whiskey, wine and Beer bottles? You know, in BIG BLACK letters "Alcohol Cause Cirrhosis of the Liver" with an accompanying photo of a liver all crudded up? Fair is fair  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: A grumble... tin art.   Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:54 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Why haven't you folks over there begun putting the corresponding warnings  on Whiskey, wine and Beer bottles? You know, in BIG BLACK letters "Alcohol Cause Cirrhosis of the Liver" with an accompanying photo of a liver all crudded up? Fair is fair  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
A good point well presented and one I was alluding to earlier.  IMHO alcohol is the scourge of our society over here.  Not only does it has far reaching health implications, but the behavioural impact on society is immense.  Well meaning pipe smoking chaps who are mellowed on a bowl of their finest pose no threat to those around them.  Compare that to a tanked up lunatic who's decided to drive home or who has decided to pick a fight with everyone within 30 yards.  And on the beverages' labelling? Not a jot. Could it be something to do with the amount of money the government are making from sales?????!!!!?????  confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A grumble... tin art.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: