HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Insurance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Insurance   Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:21 pm

OK, so I post a lot of stupid stuff, but now I want to know how you feel about insurance.
I am not talking about "Obama Care" or any of that stuff.
Lets look at insurance that ranges from home owners to dental.
When do you feel that you are, for a better word, being screwed?
-If you go to the dentist and pay $134 for a filling that costs $ $234 after paying $100/mo for dental insurance, are you being screwed. My feeling is YES
-If you pay $300/6momths for car insurance and don't get anything in return, are you being screwed. Perhaps I will say NO. Maybe you can find better rates, but you need the insurance.
- Lets say at the end of the year you pay $2k for home owners insurance and don't collect anything, are you screwed? I will say NO.
So what is my point? I don't want to live without insurance, but its nice to get something in return. Perhaps its peace of mind and I am looking for a return on my investment. If you spend $300 you expect a great pipe.
While my opinion, at the moment, is that insurance is something that we need but hope that we never use, its just a little upsetting to see that we frequently pay in more than we get out.
OK, lets get back to "Obama Care".
People in our country should not suffer because they do not have access to medical care.
Now lets go to the Rubber Room.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Insurance   Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:39 am

I look at expected costs, maximum costs in relation to policy cost and wether or not there is a legal mandate. Add in piece of mind. I can afford any projected costs for dental so it doesn't 'pay' to have dental insurance. Plus the dentist doesn't have to do any paper work to get paid by my insurer so he can charge me less. No car insurance means jail. House insurance cost versus replacement cost is worth it. Won't talk about medical insurance -- I'm old enough to remember when doctors made house calls!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Insurance   Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:59 pm

you cost per month seems high and your cost per procedure seems low.

I got paid 26 times a year and dental was $26 per check for myself and the wife). which covered 2 cleanings and check-up a year 100% per person. last filling I had done was around $340. last root canal and crown replacement cost me $600 out of pocket and was close to $1500.

auto insurance imo is the real scam. if you have a loan you must keep it insured but as the mileage increases and their payout cost go down your insurance doesn't. in theory everyone in Ohio has to have minimum liability but that doesn't keep anyone off the road.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Insurance   Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:31 pm

Between our small business and our family, we spend around $50,000 per year with our insurance agents. It makes me mad!

Insurance companies force us to purchase their products by lobbying Congress.

We have been in business now for 22 years. That is over $1,000,000.00 we could have invested and self-insured with.

To top it off, we never file claims because then they would jack our rates.

(always lurking but some topics boil the blood)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Insurance   Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:01 am

Overall, that is the general nature of insurance. You pay just in case something happens. Even it doesn't, you do not get your money back. This is how insurance companies make money. They bank on nothing drastic happening to you.

Your dental plan though is bad. I worked at a dental lab for three years and know the general cost of decent dental insurance, which covers $1500 a year of dental work. Generally, the cost of dental insurance is tacked on top of your health insurance, depending who you have, and ranges from $15-50.

$100 is a bit high, that is for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Insurance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: