HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ZeroContent

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Swanzey, NH
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'   Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:18 pm

DrSmoke wrote:
ZeroContent wrote:
I use them most of the time since most of my pipes are 2.5oz+ so clinching is a bit hard on the teeth without them.  Never had a bad taste.  I remove them after smoking and wash them in the sink and toss them into a jar for when I need one again.  I have two sizes as well, the big ones are great for the wider bits. i've seen some people turn them around so the raised part is away from the bit and the end catches on the bit.  

Many thanks for that... great tip (no pun intended) on reversing them. DOH!

brand? where do you buy them?

Steve

I get them from where ever, the latest buy was the oversized ones from PipesandCigars. They were awesome on the wider than average bits so I can clinch my 3oz 8" Tim West monster freehand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
TheLowlyApprentice

avatar

Age : 70
Location : Memphis, Tn.
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'   Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:51 pm

I use them as well and like them. No trouble with off tastes.

Most of my pipes have saddle bits and the softies work fine on them.

But I have trouble with tapered bits as I don't get a good seal and often draw more air through the leaky softy than I do smoke from the stem.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how they're supposed to be fitted on the pipe, but what I do is to back the "button" on the softy right up to, but not over, the button on the stem.

Makes for very easy clenching.

TLA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'   Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:41 am

TheLowlyApprentice wrote:
I use them as well and like them. No trouble with off tastes.

Most of my pipes have saddle bits and the softies work fine on them.

But I have trouble with tapered bits as I don't get a good seal and often draw more air through the leaky softy than I do smoke from the stem.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how they're supposed to be fitted on the pipe, but what I do is to back the "button" on the softy right up to, but not over, the button on the stem.

Makes for very easy clenching.

TLA

They come in several sizes, I purchase the smallest at 6mm and just stretch it over the larger ones. Makes it a good tight fit without them sliding around. And I don't necessarily buy any particular brand of them. I look for the best deal and buy'em. I just purchased 48 of'em off eBay for $17. I've never had a problem with any I've bought falling apart but, I don't gnaw and chew my stems like a rabid dog either.

Although! On the older much smaller Military bit stems I find them to be loose fitting, reckon shrink tubing will have to do for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'   Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:35 am

TheLowlyApprentice wrote:
...Also, I'm not exactly sure how they're supposed to be fitted on the pipe, but what I do is to back the "button" on the softy right up to, but not over, the button on the stem.

That's my method. When I use them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ontariopiper

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'   Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:41 am

I prefer a flatter bit so I find the softies bulk things up too much. I'll try Bullwinkle's approach and cut the ridge off the end and see if that does the trick. I'd really LIKE to like them, as I don't like chewing my stems up either.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
CharlG

avatar

Location : Cape Town, South Africa
Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'   Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:55 am

Nope, not for me! Rolling Eyes
A thin bit normally equals a nice bit in my mind. Why make it thick and uncomfortable? I want to feel the bit between my teeth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.goussardpipes.com/
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'   Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:59 am

CharlG wrote:
Nope, not for me! Rolling Eyes
A thin bit normally equals a nice bit in my mind. Why make it thick and uncomfortable? I want to feel the bit between my teeth.

I perfectly understand where your coming from, it's just that I hate to mar my stems even the least bit, besides I don't clench very often anyhow. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheLowlyApprentice

avatar

Age : 70
Location : Memphis, Tn.
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'   Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:37 am

Maybe it's because I'm a rank newbie at the puffer's hobby, but when I don't have the Softies installed, I find that each of my pipes requires a unique placement in my mouth in order to get a good purchase on the bit.

Some of my pipes have wide bits, some have narrow, some stems are straight, some are bent and without the Softies, I find myself having to fiddle with each pipe in order to secure it.

And on more than one occasion I've thought that I had a good grip on the pipe when all of a sudden I found that I didn't have such a good purchase on the bit and the pipe torqued in my mouth and I've almost wound up with a lap full of hot coals and ashes.

With the Softies installed I can get a good purchase on the bit in nothin' flat and that's true with any pipe I'm smoking.

Granted, the aesthetics of the Softies leaves something to be desired, but I'll take the convenience and safety of the Softies any day over the aesthetics.

TLA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'   Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:20 am

TheLowlyApprentice wrote:
Maybe it's because I'm a rank newbie at the puffer's hobby, but when I don't have the Softies installed, I find that each of my pipes requires a unique placement in my mouth in order to get a good purchase on the bit.

Some of my pipes have wide bits, some have narrow, some stems are straight, some are bent and without the Softies, I find myself having to fiddle with each pipe in order to secure it.

And on more than one occasion I've thought that I had a good grip on the pipe when all of a sudden I found that I didn't have such a good purchase on the bit and the pipe torqued in my mouth and I've almost wound up with a lap full of hot coals and ashes.

With the Softies installed I can get a good purchase on the bit in nothin' flat and that's true with any pipe I'm smoking.

Granted, the aesthetics of the Softies leaves something to be desired, but I'll take the convenience and safety of the Softies any day over the aesthetics.

TLA

Your not the only one, being a snaggle tooth with sharp fangs and a chipped tooth ta boot I find it hard to clench comfortably without clenching too hard and marring my stems. I'm so use to softies now that a bare stem seems too hard now, no matter what material it's made of. 5)
What it really comes down to is enjoying the smoke and if we must use a softie to do so, fine. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM



Age : 74
Location : Connecticut
Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'   Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:58 am

I only have one pipe that wears a Softee-- a 40+ year old Pete 2nd that is such a good smoker I'm reluctant to send it off to have the bitten-through bit replaced. The Softee has never been a problem for me, and it's cheaper than stem replacement. I agree with the comment above that, for clenchers, different bits pose a need for getting a consistently dependable chomp on the stem. The Softee could help with that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrSmoke

avatar

Location : Schiedam, The Netherlands
Registration date : 2016-03-13

PostSubject: Summary (maybe)   Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:11 pm

Gents:

From my perspective, great replies from everyone.

1. super tips (no pun intended): cut off the raised ridge, reverse the tip, tubing heat sealed
2. I think one of the things inferred but not explicitly mentioned is the feel of the stem type in the mouth as part of the smoking pleasure. I really enjoy thin and wide stems, e.g. the stem on a Rattray's Glory Days sandblast.
3. Each stem requires its own specific tipping solution to match the stem type.
4. Health issue: remove the tips every so often and clean the tip and the stem! I hadn't thought about this but it makes complete sense. Who knows bacteria lurks under a moist tip rabbit

Thanks again
Steve
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
» Dallas (TNT)
» "Why the left love the Mccanns to bits"
» Bowfin Fish
» foot and mouth virus killing people in vietnam

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: