HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Interesting (for me) Easter church service.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Interesting (for me) Easter church service.   Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:43 pm

When I was a kid we didn't go to church. Ever. Mom and dad were agnostic and basically religion wasn't ever a part of our life. I went once, when I was around 8 or 9, to a mormon church with our neighbors. I didn't get it and my folks didn't explain it and that was that. Next time I was in a church I was in my 20's. my wifes family went to a Wesleyan Methodist church, and that was a very foreign thing for me to get used to. We went there off and on for a few years and then to a few other Free Evangelicals. It was always the same style of ministering though, and aside from that one Mormon visit as a kid, it was all I knew. Never been to any kind of Catholic or old world church.

Until today. We were invited to visit an Episcopalian church, which is basically the Anglican church, which (as I understand it) goes through a lot of the Catholic-type ceremony and rituals. Robes, candle and cross bearers, parading around with the golden book of scripture, the bread and wine thing out of a silver chalice (we got dixie cups with grape juice at all the churches I saw do this). I was skeptical, I admit. But as I watched it and listened to what was being said I recognized it as sincere symbolism and quaint tradition mixed with genuine desire to spread the good news that He is risen. I walked away feeling good about it and knowing that my preconceived notions were not correct.

I just thought I'd share that. Happy Easter everyone.

d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Interesting (for me) Easter church service.   Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:01 pm

I grew up in the church and attended many different denominations. I too, understand the symbolism and comfort in the liturgy and rituals. They can promote a sense of peace and introspection that is often lacking. Amen that He is Risen! I am pleased that you had a wonderful time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Interesting (for me) Easter church service.   Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:19 pm

"Be a good boy, Ricky, and hold your tongue." --Mom

"OK, Mom."  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Interesting (for me) Easter church service.   Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Now now Ricky, I was just sharing my own experience today and trying offer an Easter greeting. I wasn't trying to plunge down that rabbit hole.

joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Interesting (for me) Easter church service.   Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:13 pm

Thanks for sharing. I preached my first Easter sermon this morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Interesting (for me) Easter church service.   Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks for sharing, man. I have a had a great Easter so far after a few rough years. He is Risen indeed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Interesting (for me) Easter church service.   Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:10 pm

I was baptized, confirmed and raised up in the Episcopal church. The ex wife is Catholic. There are many similarities in the services for certain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Interesting (for me) Easter church service.   Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
I walked away feeling good about it and knowing that my preconceived notions were not correct.

An open mind is a good thing!

I was raised in a strict Southern Baptist home and married a Catholic girl, later converting myself. I'm a bit of a hybrid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Interesting (for me) Easter church service.   Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:56 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:

We were invited to visit an Episcopalian church, which is basically the Anglican church, which (as I understand it) goes through a lot of the Catholic-type ceremony and rituals. Robes, candle and cross bearers, parading around with the golden book of scripture, the bread and wine thing out of a silver chalice (we got dixie cups with grape juice at all the churches I saw do this). I was skeptical, I admit. But as I watched it and listened to what was being said I recognized it as sincere symbolism and quaint tradition mixed with genuine desire to spread the good news that He is risen. I walked away feeling good about it and knowing that my preconceived notions were not correct.

I am glad you had the experience. I am an Episcopal priest, so I did all this twice in English and once in Spanish today. Last night was the Vigil with the fire and lighting of the Pascal candle, the singing of the Exsultet (by yours truly), incense, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Interesting (for me) Easter church service.   Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:47 pm

While I realize that many have some (perhaps justifiable) bias against the old, formal, creed-laden churches, it's hard to beat an Easter Sunday or Christmas midnight mass at a proper Catholic or Episcopal church.

The congregation dresses for the occasion and is in a charitable frame of mind for once ... the stained glass has a special glow ... the priest is well prepared to deliver the goods ... the choir has been practicing for months ... the featured soprano is determined to astonish one and all and win an ovation at the end. While you're sitting there, you can't help but realize that the same thing is going on all over the world and has been for, well, quite a few centuries, now.

If you insist, you can always go back to your old grump self afterwards. It's a free country.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
millerman

Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Interesting (for me) Easter church service.   Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:23 pm

I'm glad you had a good time. We had 5 people accept Christ as their lord and savior, and join our church this morning. It was an awesome display of how the Holy Spirit enters people's hearts. I think we were where all moved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Interesting (for me) Easter church service.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1