HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A story to share from Blighty...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: A story to share from Blighty...   Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:00 am

So, I've just returned from Norfolk after having spent a wonderful Easter weekend with my Uncle and Aunty.  It was superb to catch up after two years apart and we had some great fun; walks on the coast, a morning of fly fishing (freezer now nicely stocked) and of course lots of good yarns whilst settling in for the evening sipping our favourite drinks and smoking our favourite pipes, which in Glenn's case was a 'meer with a bent amber stem.  It was on such an evening that Uncle Glenn shared the following with me...

After watching the film The Good, The Bad and The Ugly many years ago he discovered the pipe of his dreams; a meerschaum with a bent amber stem being smoked by Lee Van Cleef.  A two year oddessy then began visiting many BMs but to no avail.  Having pretty much given up he wandered into a BM on the north Norfolk coast and was met by a young chap behind the counter who was keen to help.  After pouring over many catalogues it seemed that he was going to draw a blank again.  That was until Glenn spotted in a cabinet the perfect bowl with a black stem, and the perfect amber stem on a briar.  Not to be thwarted the young chap stroked his chin and came up with a solution; he swapped the stems round and there in a magical moment, was THE pipe of Uncle Glenn's dreams.  By some odd twist of fate, the stem fitted perfectly.  He was bowled over.  Next came the issue of price.  Bearing in mind the pipe of choice was now made up of the most desirable parts of the two donor pipes, Glenn began to brace himself.  Imagine his surprise when the chap said 'That'll be £17 please'.  'Are you sure?', asked Glenn.  The attendant confirmed the price.  Now, Glenn was a little unprepared for this outcome and didn't have any cash so he pulled out his plastic.  'Sorry Sir, we don't take cards', said the attendant, who was clearly as disappointed as Glenn.  Being so close to success Glenn tentatively asked if the attendant would be prepared to hold the pipe until the following weekend.  There was a pause as the attendant weighed up the situation.  'Why don't you take the pipe now and send me the money in the post?' he suggested.  Glenn was stunned and little off balance.  'But I could walk away from here and you could never see me again'.  Again, another pause, 'I don't believe you'll do that Sir'. So, Glenn walked out of the shop with the pipe of his dreams.  As soon as he got home Glenn prepared the payment, adding a few pounds for a beer, and wrote of note of thanks for the attendant.

Two years later Glenn was in the same village and decided to go out of his way to pay the attendant a visit and personally thank him.  Upon entering the shop Glenn was met by an older chap.  'Are you looking for anything in particular Sir?'.  'Actually, I'm looking for the younger chap who was working here a few years ago'.  'I'm sorry Sir, he's no longer with us.  He died of cancer 6 months ago'.  Ironically, he had never smoked in his life.  

Twenty five years later, Glenn's favourite pipe is the very same meerschaum.  And each time he lights up, he spares a thought for the chap who made his pipe dream come true.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:14 am

What a great tale to read, thanks for sharing it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:15 am

A wonderful yet sad tale Stick mate. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Spuddaddy

Registration date : 2014-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:22 am

That is a great story!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:06 am

Now there is a pipe with character!  And a great story to go with it.  The chap in the story really was a, well, chap, wasn't he.  Thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:07 pm

GREAT! story Stick, sadly the good die young.
That's why a mean ole fart like myself is still around and will most likely
live to bury most of ya.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:43 pm

Definitely a tale worth the hearing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:23 pm

That is a great story stick. I have to admit the ending made me just a little sad. Glad you Uncle remembers the attendant so well.

I'll send some thought the attendants way the next time I light up my pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:10 am

Awesome story stick. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Great read. cheers  cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:36 am

What a wonderful, though sad, story. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:40 am

Thanks Brothers. As Glenn was recounting his story I just knew I had to share with my fellows online. As an aside I've just noticed APKurt's avatar!!! It's only Lee Van Cleef smoking the very pipe in question.  cheers  Well I'll be...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:51 am

As already discussed elsewhere on this forum, a reasonable facsimile of Mr. Van Cleef's pipe is available from Altinok.  But I think your uncle's pipe looks cooler, Stick.  Anything to help the weak among us in dealing with PAD.   Twisted Evil 

Don't think this link works right, but maybe:  http://altinokpipes.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
As already discussed elsewhere on this forum, a reasonable facsimile of Mr. Van Cleef's pipe is available from Altinok.  But I think your uncle's pipe looks cooler, Stick.  Anything to help the weak among us in dealing with PAD.   Twisted Evil 

Just had a peek RB. Some nice looking pipes, but I have to say that 'meer is not my thing. Interesting to compare what a new one looks like compared to my Uncle's of 25 year's  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:42 pm

Richard Burley wrote:

I've made it clickable. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Stick

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:11 pm

gravel wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

I've made it clickable. Enjoy!

Thanks Gravel. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
APKurt

Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Re: A story to share from Blighty...   Fri May 02, 2014 11:30 pm

Stick wrote:
Thanks Brothers.  As Glenn was recounting his story I just knew I had to share with my fellows online.  As an aside I've just noticed APKurt's avatar!!!  It's only Lee Van Cleef smoking the very pipe in question.   cheers   Well I'll be...

Great story! Lee Van Cleef is one of the reasons I got into pipe smoking. I'm also interested in tracking down one of his pipes- the meer from "For a Few Dollars More" which for my money is the best of Leone's spaghetti westerns.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A story to share from Blighty...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1