HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:01 pm

I just finished my fifth Damascus kinfe another for my for a friend who did the electrical work in my shop. I still owe him big time as he never charged me for labour and said he just wanted a knife so I made him two.

It's a 224 layer 5160 & 52100 Drop Point w/Maidou Burl Handle (PS thanks for for burl source tip Black Horse).

Here's a picture of the process start to finish.

The top row is the two different steels alternated as per there nickle silver and carbon content.
2nd Row is the billet after it's been forge welded, stretched and folded 6 times to 224 layers which takes about 6 hrs. total.
3rd Row shows the billet ground flat and ready to be cut out with a water jet to desired shape that I get done in a shop in town.
4th Row shows the next knife I'm working on which is shaped,ground, drilled, heat treaded and acid etched to bring out the pattern.
5th Row the finished product after about 35-40 hours of labour.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Wow, Hawker! That is a very nice knife. Lucky fellow is he who is receiving that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:57 pm

Shocked 

Great looking knife!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:00 pm

Stunning work Buddy, absolutely stunning, that Burl handle is staggeringly gorgeous, you have a very lucky friend, bravo.  cheers cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:20 pm

Amazing work there Kevin! Really nice pattern to the steel, and the burl wood scales are amazing. I don't normally care for wood handles but wow!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J_Rock

Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:26 pm

That looks awesome. I love a good damascus knife. The handles looks very nice too. Great job!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:37 pm

That is some fine work, Hawker. Two beauties...man is gonna be speachless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EricTKT

Registration date : 2014-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Well done Hawker. I usually am not a fan of Damascus blades, but this one I like the looks of. What are you using for pin material and bolster/guard material? Also, do you make the bolster/guard from scratch?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Hawker! That's truly a beauty of a knife sir, be proud to own that one for sure!  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Hawker

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:58 am

Thanks for the compliments guys. Appreciate it.

EricTKT wrote:
Well done Hawker. I usually am not a fan of Damascus blades, but this one I like the looks of. What are you using for pin material and bolster/guard material? Also, do you make the bolster/guard from scratch?

The bolsters I make from scratch using 1/4" x 1 to 2" x12" flat bar stock. It depends how wide the bolster is as to what thickness is needed and if the bolsters are dove tailed or squared. Squared ones are cheaper to put on time wise and use half as much material. With dovetailed bolsters half the material is ground off with grinding the angle then more is cut off to square them up. On this one I used 1/4" x 1 12" x 12" Brass and matching pins. I have also used stainless steel and nickle silver with pin material to match. Would like to start making my own mosaic pins but haven't made any yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EricTKT

Registration date : 2014-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:45 am

Hawker wrote:

EricTKT wrote:

The bolsters I make from scratch using 1/4" x 1 to 2" x12" flat bar stock. It depends how wide the bolster is as to what thickness is needed and if the bolsters are dove tailed or squared. Squared ones are cheaper to put on time wise and use half as much material. With dovetailed bolsters half the material is ground off with grinding the angle then more is cut off to square them up. On this one I used 1/4" x 1 12" x 12"  Brass and matching pins. I have also used stainless steel and nickle silver with pin material to match. Would like to start making my own mosaic pins but haven't made any yet.

Well it is a very nice looking knife. I have started making knives and would very much like to continue, just trying to pick up as many ideas and techniques as possible. I am new to the forum so I am not able to post any pictures yet I don't believe, but, as soon as I'm able to, I'll post some pictures of the couple I've made as well as the ones I'm working on now. Im at a stand-still until get my heat treating forge built. I would appreciate your input.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:15 am

EricTKT wrote:
Hawker wrote:

EricTKT wrote:

The bolsters I make from scratch using 1/4" x 1 to 2" x12" flat bar stock. It depends how wide the bolster is as to what thickness is needed and if the bolsters are dove tailed or squared. Squared ones are cheaper to put on time wise and use half as much material. With dovetailed bolsters half the material is ground off with grinding the angle then more is cut off to square them up. On this one I used 1/4" x 1 12" x 12"  Brass and matching pins. I have also used stainless steel and nickle silver with pin material to match. Would like to start making my own mosaic pins but haven't made any yet.

Well it is a very nice looking knife. I have started making knives and would very much like to continue, just trying to pick up as many ideas and techniques as possible. I am new to the forum so I am not able to post any pictures yet I don't believe, but, as soon as I'm able to, I'll post some pictures of the couple I've made as well as the ones I'm working on now. Im at a stand-still until get my heat treating forge built. I would appreciate your input.

Look forward to seeing them. Post some pic's when you can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:49 am

Great looking knife, and I love seeing the steps in creating it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Fri May 02, 2014 8:16 am

I would love to start making my own blades. That Damascus is stunning brother, I'm still using blanks now. Got to be satisfying to fabricate a knife 100% by your self.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Fri May 02, 2014 8:40 pm

Gorgeous. Great work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Just Finished Damascus Knife # 5   Sat May 03, 2014 1:26 am

Outstanding work Hawker!