HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Eliminating the horrid smell of ash

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hersie

Registration date : 2014-05-14

PostSubject: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 1:02 am

Hi there mates!

New aspiring (2 days now) pipe-smoker!

Really no issues so far, I'm a VERY fast learner, but only one thing though: The smell of the pipe after smoking.

It's filling up my room with this terrible smell (like cigarette butts). Last night, I could not sleep!

Had to spray the room with deodorant, open a window wide and put the pipes in a cabinet (which now smells horrible).

I live at home and my parents HATE the smell, so if they notice, its bad, but they haven't woken up yet.

So anyway my question is: is there any way to get rid of the bad burnt tobacco/ash smell without sacrificing the cake build-up in the bowl which I've learned to maintain?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely yours,
aspiring noob.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 1:16 am

Smoke outside and leave the pipe out there until it cools and dries out. After that, scrape out the bowl of any dottle (that's the wet, gunky stuff that really reeks) and you should be good to go. It will still smell a little, but mostly of the tobacco, not the tar.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hersie

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 1:20 am

Thank you for your answer.

Only problem is, I live in an apartment building, so I cannot leave it outside anywhere and then go back out and get it, therefore it would be more suitable for me with a post-smoking solution for neutralizing the smell.

In worst case scenario, if there are no solutions, I could probably get some air-tight tupperware and store them there or something, even though I like my home made pipe-stand (lol, you should see it).

Cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 1:52 am

A fellow with some years of experience offered a bit of advice: use a cedar cigar humidor to store pipes. Air tight tupperware will not allow proper drying of the pipe. The humidor (with no humectant used, leave it dry) has a pleasant scent that will mask the ash. This fellow keeps his pipes in his office in this manner and no client has ever complained of a smokey smell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 2:58 am

I love the aroma of my smoked pipes.  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 9:12 am

I ONLY smoke outside but, I have quite a lot of pipes and I'm constantly battling the stench that comes from them. I find an open window works best until I can afford a quality air purifier unit.
Now that it's warming it up here the air conditioner will be in a lot of us so I hang a
Pine scented "Little Tree" the ones you hang in your car, in front the A/C's filter and it helps freshen the room and keep the A/C from recirculating the nasty ashtray smell.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
smg913

Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 9:58 am

Baking soda?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 10:06 am

Quit smoking?

But seriously, twist up a paper towel and ream your bowl as soon as you quit, while it's hot and wet.
And take a pipe cleaner to the shank, again while it's hot and wet.
A clean pipe is a nice smelling pipe.
Like many other areas in life, If you get it hot and wet you need to clean it up or it will stink.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 10:12 am

If you consider the smell of pipes "horrid," I would suggest switching to chaw. A cheek full of Red Man turns the babes on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 10:14 am

puros_bran wrote:
But seriously,  twist up a paper towel and ream your bowl as soon as you quit, while it's hot and wet.

^This.^ I do this with every pipe within 5 minutes of finishing my smoke. I keep my pipes in my office and my office doesn't smell of ash. Also, after cleaning the pipe, I put a clean pipe cleaner through the stem to the bottom of the bowl and hang the pipe (stem down) on my rack. This helps to absorb any moisture/ smell in the stem that I didn't get out initially. I don't need any air freshener in the room either. My tobacco cellar is in the same room and it makes it smell wonderful in there.  Smile 

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 11:25 am

d4klutz wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
But seriously,  twist up a paper towel and ream your bowl as soon as you quit, while it's hot and wet.

^This.^   I do this with every pipe within 5 minutes of finishing my smoke.  I keep my pipes in my office and my office doesn't smell of ash.  Also, after cleaning the pipe, I put a clean pipe cleaner through the stem to the bottom of the bowl and hang the pipe (stem down) on my rack.  This helps to absorb any moisture/ smell in the stem that I didn't get out initially.  I don't need any air freshener in the room either.  My tobacco cellar is in the same room and it makes it smell wonderful in there.  Smile 

I've been doing this from the beginning just to keep my pipes clean and sweet and I even put my used cleaners and paper towels in a sealed mason jar but, obviously my sense of smell is more sensitive then most. I hated it when I smoked cigarettes and still hate it as a pipe smoker. I may have a lot to do with how many I have all in one room but, if your nose is like mine and can smell a mouse fart from 300 yards away I suggest a good air purifier. At around $150 - $300 for one I believe it's well worth it as a high quality pipe will cost you close and above the price of one, specially if you enjoy smoking a pipe as much as I do.
For you all that don't have the grief of a overly good sense of smell, consider yourselves very lucky indeed.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 2:01 pm

If after following some of the good advice given in reply you STIIL find an odor that is objectionable, maybe Pipe Smoking is not for you !! I've never found my pipes nor ash nor used cleaners to be odiferous or objectionable in over 40 years of smoking but some folks have more sensitive smellers and for those folks, smoking is probably not a good thing ! Onward Thru the Fog  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 2:43 pm

monbla256 wrote:
If after following some of the good advice given in reply you STIIL find an odor that is objectionable, maybe Pipe Smoking is not for you !! I've never found my pipes nor ash nor used cleaners to be odiferous or objectionable in over 40 years of smoking but some folks have more sensitive smellers and for those folks, smoking is probably not a good thing ! Onward Thru the Fog  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

Heck Monbla, with a good air purifier I won't even be able to smell the reek from your
foul posts anymore!
Back to top Go down
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 2:45 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

Heck Monbla, with a good air purifier I won't even be able to smell the reek from your
foul posts anymore!

Ouch!!! *gives Monbla some burn gel*
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Learn to love it  Twisted Evil 

Grew a mustache just to savor the after smell of latakia and virginia.....mmmmmmmmmm. pirat 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 4:37 pm

d4klutz wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

foul posts anymore!

Ouch!!!  *gives Monbla some burn gel*

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 5:40 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

foul posts anymore!

Sounds like a good idea!! I can tell when you are on the forum from the aroma of that weird VaPer you smoke all the time! A sort of sour, rancid smell that I'm sure comes from how "clean" you keep your pipes after smoking that cheap stuff  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 7:13 pm

Brother PB hit the nail on the head as it were. If its hot and wet clean it up or it will get foul. I have found that some blends do leave more of an ashy smell than others. I use high proof spirits (150 proof or higher)on a q-tip to clean out the bowl and find that it does a good job at knocking out any odor. Just be sure to give your pipe extra time to dry if you clean it with alcohol frequently. Oh and as far as cake goes I have not had any problem using this method. My cake builds very slowly but is very hard and fine textured not coarse and crumbly.

Hope this helps
Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Thu May 15, 2014 7:14 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

foul posts anymore!

Sounds like a good idea!! I can tell when you are on the forum from the aroma of that weird VaPer you smoke all the time! A sort of sour, rancid smell that I'm sure comes from how "clean" you keep your pipes after smoking that cheap stuff   Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

Oh, Your such a sweet talker, flattery will get you no were sir. Wink 
Back to top Go down
Hersie

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Fri May 16, 2014 2:24 am

Wow. All very nice answers. Thank you very much!

This is a very nice forum.

Have to go to work soon so cant write a long post, but I just want to clarify:

I DO NOT find the smell of "PIPES" or "PIPE SMOKING" horrid, I freaking LOVE it!

I mean the burnt down/put out smell. Like when you Put out a cigarette half way and the cigarette butt smells.

I hate that, hated it as a smoker for years, hate it and will always hate it!

UGH.

So again: Smell of pipe/pipe smoke/tobacco - LOVE IT!

Cigarette butt smell: Yuck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loneredtree

Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Fri May 16, 2014 3:03 pm

BTW, It has not been asked...What are you smoking? Some tobaccs leave a lot of dottle and are very damp. Some dottle smells worse than others.

I have found that it takes 3 days for the bowl to clear (dry) the somewhat sour smell from the bowl. It is probably wetness but it can be that the tars etc are oxidizing. If you can rig a box with an ozone generator and place a smoked pipe in there it would suppress the smell and clean the pipe. I have seen plans for this somewhere. That would win points from your parents also.

Red tree
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonnylaw13

Registration date : 2014-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Fri May 16, 2014 5:07 pm

May I suggest a simple candle? Maybe along the lines of a smokers candle or a fabreeze candle.. May do the trick for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Fri May 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi Hersie. Welcome along and good to see you've begun the journey to the gentleman's art of smoking a briar.
If you're not keen on the ashy smell, once you've run your pipe cleaner through, use the damp end to swab the bowl stroking from the bottom of the bowl outwards. I do this after each smoke and then leave the pipe to stand for a day or so in an airy place. This works for me. I usually leave my pipe on a shelf in the kitchen to settle and have never noticed any unpleasant odours. Hope this helps...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Mon May 19, 2014 10:15 pm

My office manager commented that the pipe smell was strong in my office.
She says, "It smells like someone has been smoking".
I reply, "They have".

The smell of the pipes is one of my favorite smells. I even like it when someone walks by with a cheap Black & Mild.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipeguywes

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating the horrid smell of ash   Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:51 am

My wife used to complain that my pipes stunk up the house. What I do is after smoking the pipe I run a pipe cleaner through the pipe, take a paper towel and wipe out the bowl and then put the pipe in a leather pouch. she has never complained again. I also keep pipes after smoking in my office and no one has ever complained.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Eliminating the horrid smell of ash
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: