HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! Empty
PostSubject: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySat May 24, 2014 11:27 pm

My latest Commission pipe for Rande (Brewdude).

I thought some folk might enjoy seeing the creative process step-by-step so to speak

First thing was to mark out on the pipe where everything was to be, yup, forgot to take pictures of the very first stages, I'll get it right with the next step-by-step I do.

First bit of filing was to fix the shank/bowl intersect, so this was after I had got that bit of filing done.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1893

Next I need to remove the excess Briar from that area.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1894

Here you can see the excess fully removed from the intersect area.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1895

Next was to fix where the base of the shank was to intersect with the bowl.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1896

Right so, time to set the intersect for the left side of the shank.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1897

Next was of course to fix the intersect for the right side.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1898

An overhead shot to see the progress so far, not too shabby....

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1899

Here you can see I have removed the excess from the right side of the shank area.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1900
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySat May 24, 2014 11:27 pm

Next was to remove the excess from the left shank area.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1901

Here you can see the excess to be removed from the shank base area.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1902

The excess from the shank base is now removed.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1903

Preparing to remove the rear right corner to begin the bowl shaping

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1904

Rear right corner removed

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1905

Preparing to remove front right corner

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1906

Front right corner removed

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1907

Preparing to remove the front left corner

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1908
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySat May 24, 2014 11:27 pm

Front left corner is removed

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1909

You guessed it, preparing to remove rear left corner

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1910

Just to keep it interesting, removed rear left corner.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1911

So, where are we at now, as you can see it is starting to look more like a pipe now, much filing to follow to remove the sharp edges on the corners and the shank.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1912

Right so, really starting to look like a pipe now, man that was so weird filing today, it was so strangely hot in the shed but the air outside wasn't that hot, the work today took me a little over 6 hours in total, talk about sore thumbs from filing and knackered wrists, seriously, my priority after this pipe is to buy better files.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1913

Got a better shape to the bowl and worked some on the shank shaping

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1914

Needed to see where the pipe was going so applied a stain for clarity, as you can see, much still to be done

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1916

Worked some more on the bowl shaping and altering the line for the shank/stem

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1921
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Need to get a nicer all over shape to the bowl so it's time for the sanding peg

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1922

More work being done on the bowl shaping on the sanding peg

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1923

Here now all the peg sanding is done, happier with the shaping but more still to go.

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1924

Further work done to the bowl shaping and the shank form

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1925

The next few photo's show the pipe with a dye to better show any flawed areas still needing work, found lots as you can see, more sanding...

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1926

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1927

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1928

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1929
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySat May 24, 2014 11:28 pm

More sanding to the bowl and especially the shank form

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1930

Removed the weird 'chin' thing that was going down with the bowl front

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1931

Improved the form of the bowl face at the shank intersect

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1932

Improvements made to the shank and formed the stem bend

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1933

More work done on that weird 'chin' thing and some fine sanding to improve the bend form

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1934

Right so, time to see what we've got as an actual pipe.............

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1935

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! IMG_1938
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySun May 25, 2014 12:48 am

Amazing result Kirk. Watching the creative process through the pics is quite interesting and informative.

What's even more amazing is that it's all done with simple hand tools like files and sandpaper, apart from the bench press for the chamber. All together you have about 25 hrs into this by my reckoning!

And I hasten to add that you've captured 100% of the design ideas I put forward in my clumsily worded communication.

I'll be looking forward to holding my first BSP pipe and burning a favourite pipe weed in it. Well done mate!

cheers 

Cheers,

RR

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! Purple11x 3BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! Bombx10BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! Bombx10  BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! D6bddf10 BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! Cowboy13BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySun May 25, 2014 1:27 am

Simply brilliant! Very informative how to Kirk! Here's hoping you get to fire her up soon

Jim
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySun May 25, 2014 1:55 am

Masterly bowl/stem transition, I would say. I really like the lines on that one. Did you know that the grill on a Rolls-Royce is slightly convex? If it were perfectly flat, it would look concave. I'm thinkin' the same thing is going on here. In any event, a loveable pipe. Thanks for posting the pics.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-16

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySun May 25, 2014 2:15 am

Kirk,
THAT was an amazing set of pictures of some AMAZING work ! I don't think everyone realizes just what you do with the type of tools you have !! No lathe or machine powered aids, just your hands, hand tools and what is apparant, an EXCELLENT EYE for it all ! My admiration for your work has raised sooooo much more !!  cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySun May 25, 2014 9:06 am

Brewdude wrote:
Amazing result Kirk. Watching the creative process through the pics is quite interesting and informative.

What's even more amazing is that it's all done with simple hand tools like files and sandpaper, apart from the bench press for the chamber. All together you have about 25 hrs into this by my reckoning!

And I hasten to add that you've captured 100% of the design ideas I put forward in my clumsily worded communication.

I'll be looking forward to holding my first BSP pipe and burning a favourite pipe weed in it. Well done mate!

cheers 

Cheers,

RR

Sure enough Rande, I reckon it was around 25 hours, a little more if I include the 'sitting' cleansing stage, that you like her so well is all I really care about my friend, I know she's going to love being with you, wait when you hold her, she's a warm and embracing entity, quite unusual in many ways to any other pipe I have worked with. The cleansing process was literally painless with this one, I usually get a terrible headache and stomach ache after cleansing but not with this one, you'll see what I mean when you have her in your hands.  I love you 
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySun May 25, 2014 9:08 am

huffelpuff wrote:
Simply brilliant! Very informative how to Kirk! Here's hoping you get to fire her up soon

Jim

So very kind of you Jim, thank you my friend, annoyingly I can't send it off to Rande until Tuesday coming but shipping to the US doesn't tend to take too long.  sunny 
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySun May 25, 2014 9:11 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Masterly bowl/stem transition, I would say.  I really like the lines on that one.  Did you know that the grill on a Rolls-Royce is slightly convex?  If it were perfectly flat, it would look concave.  I'm thinkin' the same thing is going on here.  In any event, a loveable pipe.  Thanks for posting the pics.

You have a very keen eye there Richard, the face is indeed ever so slightly convex, it is almost unnoticeable but there is a very very slight curvature there, I'm both impressed by your attention to detail and extremely flattered by the kindness, thank you.  sunny 
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySun May 25, 2014 9:14 am

monbla256 wrote:
Kirk,
THAT was an amazing set of pictures of some AMAZING work ! I don't think everyone realizes just what you do with the type of tools you have !! No lathe or machine powered aids, just your hands, hand tools and what is apparant, an EXCELLENT EYE for it all ! My admiration for your work has raised sooooo much more !!  cheers cheers 

Thank you so very much for the wonderful words of encouragement monbla, I am both flattered and honoured by your response, knowing how much you love your pipes the words you offer me have great weight behind them, thank you my friend.  sunny I love you 
Back to top Go down
Hiram-2011

Hiram-2011

Registration date : 2012-03-24

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySun May 25, 2014 9:35 am

Wonderful work Kirk. It's amazing to see the process, to see what you do by hand. Rande is quite lucky to be taking ownership of such a fine looking pipe.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySun May 25, 2014 10:35 am

Briar Spirit wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

cheers 

Cheers,

RR

Sure enough Rande, I reckon it was around 25 hours, a little more if I include the 'sitting' cleansing stage, that you like her so well is all I really care about my friend, I know she's going to love being with you, wait when you hold her, she's a warm and embracing entity, quite unusual in many ways to any other pipe I have worked with. The cleansing process was literally painless with this one, I usually get a terrible headache and stomach ache after cleansing but not with this one, you'll see what I mean when you have her in your hands.  I love you 

Kirk, I'm somewhat familiar with the cleansing protocol on estate pipes, but not on a new pipe. Is it much the same as in salt/alcohol treatment? In any event I'm happy to hear this one didn't affect you in the same way. Sounds uncomfortable to say the least!

And if you don't mind my asking, what made this more unusual than any other pipe you've worked with? If you'd like you can pm me if you would prefer not to go into it here. Just curious.

I'm rather looking forward to holding this creation in my hands brother, but don't agonize over the shipping date. It's a long holiday weekend for us septics so no shipping until Tue for us either!

Cheers,

RR

Cheers,

RR

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! Purple11x 3BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! Bombx10BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! Bombx10  BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! D6bddf10 BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! Cowboy13BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! 4G80VIc

Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySun May 25, 2014 10:51 am

Another outstanding creation by Kirk.

More magic to be enjoyed...more positive energy released into the world.

You gonna enjoy that one, Rande!

Walt
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySun May 25, 2014 11:43 am

pepesdad1 wrote:
Another outstanding creation by Kirk.

More magic to be enjoyed...more positive energy released into the world.

You gonna enjoy that one, Rande!

Walt

Yes I will Walt!

sunny 

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptySun May 25, 2014 8:28 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Kirk, I'm somewhat familiar with the cleansing protocol on estate pipes, but not on a new pipe. Is it much the same as in salt/alcohol treatment? In any event I'm happy to hear this one didn't affect you in the same way. Sounds uncomfortable to say the least!

The 'sitting' stage is a spiritual cleansing process Rande not a physical cleaning one.  sunny 

As you will know everything in existence is 'of energy', some energies have a negative 'charge' if you will and can adversely affect peoples own energies, these energies need to be transmuted, I spend as long as it takes holding an object until I can feel only purity and positive charge from the object, I do this with everything which comes into our home as there is a lot of negative energy in the World and a lot of people feed their own negative energies into objects more often than not unwittingly so, as I sit through this process I find it gives me terrible headaches and a troubled stomach. A small price to pay when I consider the objects I pass to another will have no ill effects upon their person in terms of the energies within it.
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptyMon May 26, 2014 2:37 am

Briar Spirit wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

The 'sitting' stage is a spiritual cleansing process Rande not a physical cleaning one.  sunny 

As you will know everything in existence is 'of energy', some energies have a negative 'charge' if you will and can adversely affect peoples own energies, these energies need to be transmuted, I spend as long as it takes holding an object until I can feel only purity and positive charge from the object, I do this with everything which comes into our home as there is a lot of negative energy in the World and a lot of people feed their own negative energies into objects more often than not unwittingly so, as I sit through this process I find it gives me terrible headaches and a troubled stomach. A small price to pay when I consider the objects I pass to another will have no ill effects upon their person in terms of the energies within it.

cheers  Love it! Rande, I don't know what you paid for that pipe, but it sounds like you got a hell of a deal, whatever the price!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptyMon May 26, 2014 10:55 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Briar Spirit wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

cheers  Love it!  Rande, I don't know what you paid for that pipe, but it sounds like you got a hell of a deal, whatever the price!

Richard

This will be my first BSP, and I suspect it won't be the last either. After reading all the positive feedback from others who's opinions I value that have one it seemed like a natural progression.

What Kirk puts into each one of his creations cannot be reduced to price alone by my reckoning. That said, his pipes are very well placed in that regard. In fact they may well be be underpriced, given all he has to work with as compared to other carvers.

As you may know he works with the most basic of tools, lots of dedication, and love of the craft. But this is already well known, so I won't dwell on it anymore.

For my part, once one recognizes the carver, their strengths and the ability to deliver what they are looking for, the rest should come naturally. At least that's what I've found.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptyWed May 28, 2014 4:59 am

Rande, you are in for a treat.  Some may laugh when I say he has magic in his pipes...hold it and you will see for yourself....magic!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!   BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!! EmptyWed May 28, 2014 7:24 am

pepesdad1 wrote:
Rande, you are in for a treat.  Some may laugh when I say he has magic in his pipes...hold it and you will see for yourself....magic!

I'll know pretty soon Walt. It was shipped today.

bounce 

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down

BSP - CP10 - picture heavy!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: