HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

This is Blighty...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: This is Blighty...   Tue May 27, 2014 4:43 pm

So, I'm sure this will be a familiar scene to Brothers Kirk and Adam and, perhaps, a few of our friends from across the pond. I was sat in my usual smoking spot this evening and thought I'd share the moment with you all...

Itís late May in the 'shire and the garden is bursting with the promise of the recently sown wild flower seed. Bowser the black family cat has deemed me worthy of his company and is curled up in his favourite spot. He lifts an eyebrow as my lighter clicks life into my briar; itís a familiar routine but he likes to be sure anyway. The swifts are not long back from Africa. Sickles of the sky they screech past, a playful band in tight formation. The rookery down the lane hosts its daily raucous symphony as the distant village church gently tolls the hour to inform the parish the evening is soon to be night. Light fades. Silhouetted against a water colour sky and proclaiming his joyful lust for life the blackbird is swayed by a last zephyr atop the ash. I wonder about the brood he has tucked safely away, probably within a stoneís throw of where Iím sat.
Despite the pressures of life I find contentment as my companion briar is laid to rest for another evening. Itís time to retire, my soul recharged.
Come on Bowser, letís go inÖ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: This is Blighty...   Tue May 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Stick me ol' mucker, I do so enjoy reading your musings on experiences such like this. Many's the time's I've been in your green and pleasant land, enjoying and savouring just the kind of thing you so eloquently write about.

It was about now back in '05 when I last visited that the rape seed was in full flower, and the mesmerising colours of green/yellow waved in the breeze. Pasture after pasture of them there were.

Trecked through them with my S. Yorkshire mate and his dogs on a walk one sunny day, and it were like magic. We both had some premium cigars going at the time and the combination of the place, company, and experience is burned into me for all time. If I can find some pics I'll put them up.

Thanks for bringing me back to Blighty mate!

bom

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Stick

PostSubject: Re: This is Blighty...   Wed May 28, 2014 4:12 am

Thanks Brewdude Sir,

I have no pipe smoking chums here in Blighty (apart from when I make an occasional visit to an uncle I'm particularly fond of), so everytime I enjoy the pleasures of the briar I spend a little time wondering what the Brothers like yourself are up to. It therefore seemed only natural to share what's happening in my world as I'm supping my 'baccy of the moment.

Being in a rural location, we're surrounded by rape seed which is pretty much in full glory at the moment, exuding a heady scent. A more recent addition that I've noticed is linseed which gives a beautiful blue hue.

Pip pip,

Stick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: This is Blighty...   Wed May 28, 2014 3:12 pm

I/we have family just outside Chester. No one else puffs 'cept me, so I find myself roaming the back "garden" 'til I find a good spot to settle in and enjoy my English tobacco (which the English don't seem to like!!!). One of the family Labs usually joins me. They aren't as "persnickety" as their humans!!! Funny thing is...the house was part of an old estate. It sits on the Welsh/English border. Front yard in Ol' Blighty; the "garden" in Wales!!!

Pip pip, cheerio!!! I'm off to the local for a pint o' good bitter!!!!!!†cheers†FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: This is Blighty...   Wed May 28, 2014 3:37 pm

ftrplt wrote:
I/we have family just outside Chester. No one else puffs 'cept me, so I find myself roaming the back "garden" 'til I find a good spot to settle in and enjoy my English tobacco (which the English don't seem to like!!!). One of the family Labs usually joins me. They aren't as "persnickety" as their humans!!! Funny thing is...the house was part of an old estate. It sits on the Welsh/English border. Front yard in Ol' Blighty; the "garden" in Wales!!!

Pip pip, cheerio!!! I'm off to the local for a pint o' good bitter!!!!!!†cheers†FTRPLT

Goodness me, I'm only an hour away from Chester and, having worked in Wales am familiar with that part of the world too. What a small world! It seems you've got the hang of the Queen's English too! Tallyho old boy...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: This is Blighty...   Wed May 28, 2014 11:22 pm

Always glad to hear your thoughts Stick! It's always nice to be able to share the commradary.

Enjoy your little patch of heaven sir!
Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonnylaw13

Registration date : 2014-05-16

PostSubject: Re: This is Blighty...   Thu May 29, 2014 11:56 pm

just the read and pictures in my head relaxed me! i can only imagine how nice it really is!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

This is Blighty...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: