HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A Nice Story.. A game, a shot at fame, uh. Just open it.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: A Nice Story.. A game, a shot at fame, uh. Just open it.    Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:42 am

I want some positive stories.. New, Old, even imagined will be ok. Tell me something you did for someone. Or something someone did for you. Or whatever.

I'm going to have a drawing on Father's Day, the prize is a 7-10 year old tin of MacBaren Virginia #1, a little Japanese Pipe, and some assorted bulk.
The Kink: the winner does not get the prize... The winner gets to choose a BoB to get the prize. Tell a nice story, get a chance to give someone a nice story.

Every story gets an entry. Multiples by the same author is allowed but needs to be separate post.
Mods/admins: We usually exclude ourself from this type of stuff.. As We won't be directly profiting I see no reason Not to participate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: A Nice Story.. A game, a shot at fame, uh. Just open it.    Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:02 am

Non entry example.

Some years back one of my close friends son, Hunter, had a horrible accident. Hunters dad processes deer/ does taxidermy during the season.. He had one of those industrial automatic grinders.. Long story short Hunter dropped his Skittles in the Grinder and ground his hand off fishing them out. Sick, gross, horrible, I don't have the words. (It's been 6-7 years and it still bothers me)

In shock I posted on the board about it because at the time BoB was basically the only place I communicated with people and didn't have anyone to turn to for relief of such things.

We began a drive in the community to help the family with medical cost , hotels, gas and such during all that mess. We started collecting enough to actually help offset the cost. In my excitement, again because BoB was my outlet I posted about what We were doing..

Thomas James contacted me, he wanted to contribute.. I tried everything to get him not to but if you knew TJ you knew resisting him was about as easy as converting a Jihadist to Pentecostalism. TJ sent me a check for them insisting that it was FOR Hunter.. Not gas, not food, not medical bills, specifically for Hunter to buy himself toys or whatever.

This kid 2000 miles from TJ,that he'd never meet was blessed and got a huge smile from him..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: A Nice Story.. A game, a shot at fame, uh. Just open it.    Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:29 am

Was going to a youth group to speak, and as is my custom here in Australia I got on the train. Went a few stops and had to switch trains at Spencer st station. Waiting for my next train I saw Jesus sitting there waiting for the same train.
He was drunk, cussing at people, muttering under his breath and smoking. He took long pulls off of his liter beer bottle. Everyone tried to stay out of his way. I was staying close just in case he did something stupid. His nose had been broken a few times it seemed so I was ready to step in and defend the public if necessary.

He got on the same train, and I made sure I sat in the same carriage to ensure Jesus didn't get unruly or hurt anyone. He made some remarks, and tried to talk to some people around him, but they got up and moved to a different part of the train. I was, trying to think about my sermon that night, but was keeping one eye on him the whole time.

I wasn't really sure what to share. I thought about my sermon "why are you standing there gazing into the heavens", I was originally going to go with that one, but something didn't feel right. Then I was going to talk about the rich young ruler, the one I usually use at youth groups, but that seemed wrong too. I was thinking about the great white throne judgement, that one seemed like the right one. But I really couldn't zone in on it, because I was busy trying to keep an eye on this drunk.

A group of Asian young people came in and sat all around him. He wasn't happy. He was obviously a bit racist. He talked to them a bit, but they ignored him. I was getting ready to throw him off the train. He was smoking, which was not allowed and drinking, which is not allowed, and being beligerent which is...

not allowed.

At each station I scanned the platform for an attendant to "turn in" this obvious criminal to. Jesus didn't seem like someone anyone would want to hang out with. At the next station the kids all got up and switched to the next carriage on the train. He was furious, and was cussing and carrying on. I was getting ready to finally do something. He caughed, vomitted a little and then spilled his beer. More people moved to other seats.

Then he turned around and started staring at me. I don't usually look away, and didn't this time. I was starting to wonder when it was gonna take off, but then I started to recognise him. Then my sermon started to remind me of who he was. He yelled at me, "where are we at" I told him where we were. He said "how long to Ringwood" I told him about thirty minutes, that was my stop as well. "my dad just died" And then I fully realised Jesus was on the train with me.

I got up and went and sat next to him. We talked a bit. He told me he had to carry his fathers coffin, and he carried his mothers a few years earlier. He rolled another cigarette. He started complaining about the kids that moved to the other carriage. "I didn't f*ckin do nothin to them, they don't have no respect, you're a good bloke john" His name was John as well as mine. "the two johns" he said.

He told me about how he was a builder, and worked his whole life. He admitted he had a drinking problem, but he said, "they don't know what happened to me, my dad died, and no one will talk to me, except you, you're a good bloke" I could only reply, "thanks mate".

I held the door for him at the train station, he took a long time to stagger off. I walked with him up the ramp to make sure he was okay. He told me thanks for talking to him, I thanked him for sitting with me. I told him to take care of himself, and he said the same. We shook hands and I looked deep into his eyes, I saw my creator there. Jesus said to me, "aw f*ck this, give us a cuddle" So I stood on the train platform hugging Jesus. A white, broken nosed, drunk, racist, smelly Jesus, who was going by the name of John today. I walked away crying.

"WHATEVER YOU DO, FOR THE LEAST OF THESE, YOU HAVE DONE IT UNTO ME"

I hope you see Jesus today, I rode the train with him.

the rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A Nice Story.. A game, a shot at fame, uh. Just open it.    Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:06 pm

TJ has my vote. While I never met him, I knew him from the old Knox board. One of my posts suggested that my wife and I were having financial difficulties. He emailed me, explained a little about his background and offered financial advice. He also told me that the Knox board shut down and directed me to the BOB. I understand that he also hosted quite a party for some of the older Knox/BOB members.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: A Nice Story.. A game, a shot at fame, uh. Just open it.    Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:26 pm

Here's one I posted a little while back...

So, I've just returned from Norfolk after having spent a wonderful Easter weekend with my Uncle and Aunty.  It was superb to catch up after two years apart and we had some great fun; walks on the coast, a morning of fly fishing (freezer now nicely stocked) and of course lots of good yarns whilst settling in for the evening sipping our favourite drinks and smoking our favourite pipes, which in Glenn's case was a 'meer with a bent amber stem.  It was on such an evening that Uncle Glenn shared the following with me...

After watching the film The Good, The Bad and The Ugly many years ago he discovered the pipe of his dreams; a meerschaum with a bent amber stem being smoked by Lee Van Cleef.  A two year oddessy then began visiting many BMs but to no avail.  Having pretty much given up he wandered into a BM on the north Norfolk coast and was met by a young chap behind the counter who was keen to help.  After pouring over many catalogues it seemed that he was going to draw a blank again.  That was until Glenn spotted in a cabinet the perfect bowl with a black stem, and the perfect amber stem on a briar.  Not to be thwarted the young chap stroked his chin and came up with a solution; he swapped the stems round and there in a magical moment, was THE pipe of Uncle Glenn's dreams.  By some odd twist of fate, the stem fitted perfectly.  He was bowled over.  Next came the issue of price.  Bearing in mind the pipe of choice was now made up of the most desirable parts of the two donor pipes, Glenn began to brace himself.  Imagine his surprise when the chap said 'That'll be £17 please'.  'Are you sure?', asked Glenn.  The attendant confirmed the price.  Now, Glenn was a little unprepared for this outcome and didn't have any cash so he pulled out his plastic.  'Sorry Sir, we don't take cards', said the attendant, who was clearly as disappointed as Glenn.  Being so close to success Glenn tentatively asked if the attendant would be prepared to hold the pipe until the following weekend.  There was a pause as the attendant weighed up the situation.  'Why don't you take the pipe now and send me the money in the post?' he suggested.  Glenn was stunned and little off balance.  'But I could walk away from here and you could never see me again'.  Again, another pause, 'I don't believe you'll do that Sir'. So, Glenn walked out of the shop with the pipe of his dreams.  As soon as he got home Glenn prepared the payment, adding a few pounds for a beer, and wrote of note of thanks for the attendant.

Two years later Glenn was in the same village and decided to go out of his way to pay the attendant a visit and personally thank him.  Upon entering the shop Glenn was met by an older chap.  'Are you looking for anything in particular Sir?'.  'Actually, I'm looking for the younger chap who was working here a few years ago'.  'I'm sorry Sir, he's no longer with us.  He died of cancer 6 months ago'.  Ironically, he had never smoked in his life.  

Twenty five years later, Glenn's favourite pipe is the very same meerschaum.  And each time he lights up, he spares a thought for the chap who made his pipe dream come true.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: A Nice Story.. A game, a shot at fame, uh. Just open it.    Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:43 pm

Bravo!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: A Nice Story.. A game, a shot at fame, uh. Just open it.    Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:51 am

One day left guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: A Nice Story.. A game, a shot at fame, uh. Just open it.    Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:44 am

Wow. Nobody else. That's ok. After great difficulty securing a random number generator and a laborious hassle of setting it up ( I asked the Mrs to pick a number between 1-3 ) the cosmos picked Bub as the winner. Bub if you would be so kind as to send via pm your mailing address and the name of who you want to gift the stated prize to we can get the ball rolling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: A Nice Story.. A game, a shot at fame, uh. Just open it.    Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:02 pm

Well done Bub old chap. Pip pip!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A Nice Story.. A game, a shot at fame, uh. Just open it.    Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks Stick, I generally do well in contests when the prize goes to someone else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A Nice Story.. A game, a shot at fame, uh. Just open it.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1