HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Quitting cigarettes with other forms of tobacco

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Quitting cigarettes with other forms of tobacco   Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:08 pm

And that's where we are missing each other.

I don't claim inhaling natural tobacco is safe. Just like I don't say sniff, snus, dip, chew, ecigs, Nicotette, or nic patches are safe. What I do say is there are degrees in risk taken.

I'd imagine we'd all be better off preaching abstinence but knowing that doesn't work in the real world I believe we should preach Harm Reduction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Quitting cigarettes with other forms of tobacco   Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:03 am

No problem brother.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Quitting cigarettes with other forms of tobacco   Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:20 am

Smoke in heavy doses is pretty nasty stuff whether it's tobacco, wood, grass, or whatever. In fact, most deaths from fires are the result of smoke inhalation or inhalation of toxic by-products of combustion rather than thermal injuries themselves.

Here's an article on wildland firefighters and some of the effects smoke has on them. They usually don't use the same protection as urban firefighters (oxygen and facemasks) so they're more susceptible to the ill effects. Nothing conclusive, but interesting anyway.

http://www.nwcg.gov/branches/pre/rmc/iems/topics/topics-archived/wildlandfirefighter2008.pdf

Here's another (more alarmist) on the effects of smoke on populations surrounding fire zones.

http://www.redding.com/news/2009/apr/19/theres-still-much-to-learn-about-long-term-of/

I would think that if you're going to voluntarily inhale smoke, however, less additives might be the way to go. The elevator, after all, is going down, but no need to cut the cable, too.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Quitting cigarettes with other forms of tobacco   Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:49 pm

I agree with the POV that tobacco, in any form, is probably not good for the smoker.Just llike hamburgers, beer and donuts. That said, is there some limit at which the body can tolerate this "insult" and healthy cells can reproduce? Wouldn't this information be useful to smokers?

The answer is probably different for each type of tobacco use. Personally, I don't see any reason to believe that moderate use of pipe tobacco is a significant health threat. And there's anecdotal support for the idea that pipe smoking has health benefits, such as relaxation.

The point about processing tobacco makes use of various additives, preservatives, colorizers, taste enhancers etc is often mentioned without making the bridge to food, the processing of which uses many of the same additives. Granted, eating food that includes PG, for one example, may be different from burning and inhaling residue from this humectant or simply sipping it orally and exhalng it. But the current politics of the matter is to ban smoing without bothering with such fine intramural distinctions.

You can learn some amazing things about processed food simply by learning to read ingredient and nutrition labels on the pakaged food your family eats, particularly on matters like artificial sugars. If you want to know why Americans tend to be chubby and prone to diabetes, you need only peruse these labels. It's not a mystery. In fine print and carefully spun, yes. But a mystery, no.

I do the grocery shopping for my family and, the other day, had both ice cream and good ol' baked beans in the cart. Waiting in the check out line, I perused some of the labels. I didn't expect the ice cream to be a health food. But I was surprised that both the beans and the chocolate ice cream had the same score in the "sugars" box -- 12 G per 1/2 cup serving. Remember Dixie, Cups? They used to be half cup size. No one since has eaten only a half cup serving or either ice cream or baked beans.

The lumping together and harrassment of all types of tobacco users is, imho, another government backed public relations effort intended to divert and distract the public. Meanwhile, the content of processed foods is just beginning to get some overdue public attention.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Quitting cigarettes with other forms of tobacco   Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:01 pm

Tobacco is good and I want more. That's my take on the whole deal. If it eventually kills, what would you prefer to die of? Old age? Not from what I've witnessed. Fifty+ years of cheating death here. And I can guarantee anyone that I won't die of cancer. Just a thought for deep thinkers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RunningWolf52

Registration date : 2014-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Quitting cigarettes with other forms of tobacco   Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:02 pm

I smoke for stress relief. When I first started the pipe I inhaled. So at that point it didn't really make a difference health wise. I learned latter thats not the way you smoke a pipe. Now I never inhale. Pipe smoking is a marathon, not a race. It usually takes me a good hour to smoke a bowl out for my meerschaum(it's a handcarved
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RunningWolf52

Registration date : 2014-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Quitting cigarettes with other forms of tobacco   Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:19 pm

I smoke for stress relief. When I first started the pipe I inhaled. So at that point it didn't really make a difference health wise. I learned latter thats not the way you smoke a pipe. Now I never inhale. Pipe smoking is a marathon, not a race. It usually takes me a good hour to smoke a bowl out for my meerschaum(it's handcarved in the shape of a wolfs head by Kural). Just smelling the sweet sent of cherry pipe Tabacco emanating from it is pure heaven. When you smoke your pipe correctly, your letting a wave of nicotine wash over you for a steady drawn out period. My best time of day is the simple act of goin out on my back porch, in the morning or at dusk, and enjoying my pipe. Wether its a healthier choice doesn't matter to me in the least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Quitting cigarettes with other forms of tobacco
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2