HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Notes from the road

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Notes from the road   Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:25 pm

The wife and I are driving down to Florida for a bit of a getaway (well...we actually got in earlier this afternoon). On the drive from Cleveland down to sunny (or stormy, as it were) Florida, I've had a few thoughts. Nothing earth shattering, but she's napping and I'm bored, so I thought I'd kill some time here:

1. I've driven a lot of places and seen a lot of the country. I still think I-77 through southeast Ohio and northern West Virginia just before, at, and just after dawn is one of the most beautiful drives.

2. I've made this drive about 8 times in my life...all but one of them since I first picked up a pipe, and at least five since I've been regularly placing online tobacco orders. Somehow, I've just now managed to put together the fact that the JR outlets/stores in Statesville, NC, (including, wait for it, JR Cigars) is, in fact, one of the B&M locations owned by JR Cigars. It was one of those "THIS IS FANTASTIC...and I'm a flippin' IDIOT" kind of moments.

3. The new MM Country Gentleman (VaPer) blend is REALLY growing on me. I plowed through bowl after bowl of it on the way down, and it keeps getting better and better.

4. What is a car with a Hawaii license plate doing just south of Savannah, GA?

That's enough for now...I think I'm due for a nap, myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Notes from the road   Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:30 pm

Keep it up. Everyone should make notes and keep a log or diary, in my opinion. I wish I had. I really, really do wish I had. All those places, the people, the profound insights, the jail time, the hotties...sigh.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Notes from the road   Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:03 pm

There's a literary genre I like that might be called driver's autobiographies. It could include Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon; Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck and another by a contemporary author who used to pick a highway, fly to it, and then drive the road noting anything that came to mind. He's written all sorts of stuff, novels, for movies, magazines. But I won't remember his name until I click Send. Dadgummit. Anyway you have a good start. I remember once driving home from Niagara Falls with my wife in her new Toyota. She fell asleep. I wondered how fast the car would go. Going downhill, I could get it up to 110, but it would shake a little. Then she woke up and observed, "SCREEEEEEEECH!!!" It jumped me so I bumped my head on the top of the windshield frame. Nor was she receptive to my talk on the relationship between safety and passengers remaining calm even when stressed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: Notes from the road   Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:13 am

Thx. Now I will probably go to my grave wondering about those HI plates.
Back to top Go down
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Notes from the road   Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:13 am

HI plates in GA likely means the dude is military. They will ship you vehicle for you when you transferred duty stations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Notes from the road   Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:03 pm

McCrainies has a store just north of Charlotte off I-77. Check their site for the exact addy. I've been there once; not too shabby. I think the one in town is a bit better. FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Notes from the road   Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:37 pm

ftrplt wrote:
McCrainies has a store just north of Charlotte off I-77. Check their site for the exact addy. I've been there once; not too shabby. I think the one in town is a bit better. FTRPLT

Ha! I have one of their pipes and always thought they were just one of those defunct-formerly-great pipe shops...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371

PostSubject: Re: Notes from the road   Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:11 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
HI plates in GA likely means the dude is military. They will ship you vehicle for you when you transferred duty stations.

That makes perfect sense. TY
Back to top Go down

Notes from the road
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1